• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing 30-06 Reamer?

Brux

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2013
GA
Looking for some suggestions on a reamer. Its a hunting rifle so I'm probably just gonna shoot factory ammo. No heavies. 150 to 178 gr bullets.
Would a Serengeti be a good one. I think it has less freebore than a match sami reamer.

Reactions: bpd459
Looking for some suggestions on a reamer. Its a hunting rifle so I'm probably just gonna shoot factory ammo. No heavies. 150 to 178 gr bullets.
Would a Serengeti be a good one. I think it has less freebore than a match sami reamer.
I don't know what a Match SAAMI reamer is but a standard SAAMI reamer will have less freebore than the Serengeti version.

If all you plan on shooting is mid weight bullets i would stick with a standardish reamer... i thought there was one floating around that was pretty much a standard 30-06 springfield reamer but it had an improved lead angle. I surely wouldn’t want a longer freebore unless your reloading. The longer freebore reamers with factory loaded ammo can cause some decrease in pressure resulting in lower velocity.

It seems like I checked with PT&G and it seems like they told me the SAMMI reamer had more freebore than the Serengeti reamer.
Who else can I call to talk to about a reamer?

The saami really doesnt have any "freebore" its got 0 freebore with a straight transition like all the 30-06 based chamberings, 270 etc.
1582218268213.png

The serengeti has .101 freebore on this ptg print
1582218423358.png

I dont think you would really be able to go wrong with whatever you choose. But the “revised” reamers would give you better performance if you reloaded your ammo to take advantage of what the “revisions” have to offer.

It seems like I checked with PT&G and it seems like they told me the SAMMI reamer had more freebore than the Serengeti reamer.
Who else can I call to talk to about a reamer?
The easy answer to this question is JGS or Manson reamers.
They would be happy to help.
A standard SAAMI reamer sounds right for you.
If you are only chambering one barrel, then rent the reamer, preferably a floating pilot reamer.
Also, not the pull through, that is a finish reamer for the M1 and other semi-autos.
Just make sure you schedule with your gunsmith, as you only rent for a limited time.