.30 cal or under for 1,000+?

Shanerbanner10

Primer Denter
Minuteman
  • Jan 13, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Hey guys, so I just got done building a 308, still waiting on it to get here. I'm already thinking about the next barrel and caliber just for fun. I have access to pretty much unlimited distance to shoot at in Northern Oklahoma and i was wonder what your guys' opinions would be for the best .30 cal or under would be for 1k+ shots?

I know the bigger heavier bullets are preferred for these types of distances but I like the challenge!

6.5 or 7mm.

I assume because this rifle is a .308 and you're talking about rebarreling in the future, you want to stick with a short action and not a magnum. I would say .260, 6.5 creedmore, 7-08 are going to be your best bets. You're not going to get much past 1200yd, depending on elevation.

I wouldn't go smaller than 6.5mm because impacts will be hard to spot.

7-08 doesn't even have the performance that .308 has with the heaviest bullets. The BC is good but the case capacity isn't sufficient to use it.

The .260 and 6.5 suggestions are good for a short action, non-magnums because the bullets available for those size cartridges are a better match for that size case than the 7mm heavies are.

If you really want to reach out though, you're going to need a fast twist for the given diameter, and preferably a magnum (7WSM, 7 mag, 300 mag, 300 RUM, the various wildcats based on .338).

I always say:

#1 pick the target and use that to determine diameter
    #2 pick the range and use that to determine how much capacity you'll need to get a bullet going fast enough to get there
    #3 use those two things to find a caliber that is cost-effective and can do what you need it to do.

6.5, 7, and .30 will all do the same thing if the target is paper or steel, bigger diameters will have more recoil and use more powder, but ultimately, the longer, heavier bullets of larger diameter will have more supersonic range on the top end, and if underpowered, won't even have that.

The next challenge is that the highest performing calibers in any diameter will be hard on barrels, so you'll have to decide if that is worth it in the overall cost of shooting any given caliber.

7-08 doesn't even have the performance that .308 has with the heaviest bullets. The BC is good but the case capacity isn't sufficient to use it.

The .260 and 6.5 suggestions are good for a short action, non-magnums because the bullets available for those size cartridges are a better match for that size case than the 7mm heavies are.

If you really want to reach out though, you're going to need a fast twist for the given diameter, and preferably a magnum (7WSM, 7 mag, 300 mag, 300 RUM, the various wildcats based on .338).

I always say:

#2 pick the range and use that to determine how much capacity you'll need to get a bullet going fast enough to get there
    #3 use those two things to find a caliber that is cost-effective and can do what you need it to do.

6.5, 7, and .30 will all do the same thing if the target is paper or steel, bigger diameters will have more recoil and use more powder, but ultimately, the longer, heavier bullets of larger diameter will have more supersonic range on the top end, and if underpowered, won't even have that.

The next challenge is that the highest performing calibers in any diameter will be hard on barrels, so you'll have to decide if that is worth it in the overall cost of shooting any given caliber.

Nailed it, good post!

I was definitely thinking the 6.5 or .260, maybe .260 ai.

I would like to reach out as far as possible with the short action non magnum set up I have now when I go to rebarrel is in the future.

The 7mm-08 will beat the 308 anyday. Run the numbers. By the time you run a 308 with heavy bullets and gain BC, they are so slow that BC will not help. Read Applied Ballistics by Bryan Litz. The hottest performing short action cartridge with standard bolt face is the 284. But they are not mag friendly with the heaviest bullets.

The 7mm-08 will beat the 308 anyday. Run the numbers. By the time you run a 308 with heavy bullets and gain BC, they are so slow that BC will not help. Read Applied Ballistics by Bryan Litz. The hottest performing short action cartridge with standard bolt face is the 284. But they are not mag friendly with the heaviest bullets.

bingo.... slow heavy 308 bullets don't always have that high b.c. because they can't reach high enough velocities. 7-08 and 260 are better performers. 260 would be my choice.

Serator, im in the same boat. I'm running a 6slr at my slow node of 2950fps with a 105 and im able to watch my own trace and hits out to 1300+ yards with much trouble. On top of less recoil. Just food for thought.

Xdeano

I always say:

Huh? U sure about that?