• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

30 MOA rail for 10/22

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Feb 15, 2017
    Kansas
    I know most guys are shooting bolt guns for 22 PRS style matches, but I have a 10/22 with an aftermarket match chambered bull barrel and an Arhlon ARES ETR just gathering dust.

Does anyone make a decent 30 moa rail for a 10/22? I found this one, and I could get the Burris rings to add some more to it.

So I have one as well, I’m considering doing the 20moa base and using a one piece mount with another 20 built into the mount for a total of 40.

my 10/22 runs out of dial about 150-175 yards..

I run a 40 moa on my Vudoo

Diversified Innovative Products - Product Detail - Ruger 10/22 25MOA Picatinny Scope Mount - $29.97

Ruger 10/22 Picatinny Rail 20 MOA

These would probably work with the Burris rings. I have a set of the 30mm that I am not using anymore.

Reactions: Kambaku and Alabusa
    I'm using the EGW 40 MOA with an Athlon Ares (not ETR). I've got a 50 yard zero, and about 20 Mils of up available. With a little reticle, it'll get me to 400 yards. Its the only 40 MOA i've found for the 10/22 and for that reason its the only rail i'll use. Its not a machining work or art or anything but it does what i need it to do-Norcal911

Reactions: 260284
    @260264: Sorry if this is a hijack, and I will move the post if needed, but it is related as I think we're headed down a similar path: Building up a 10/22 here as well and don't have glass picked out yet, but looking for elevation that will get me from 10yds out to 300yds if it is feasible. Will a 30 MOA rail and an Athlon Talos BTR 4-14x44 get me there? My rough calculations gave me about 46.5MOA/13.5MIL drop.
    1580770690989.png

So far it has the Kidd single stage and bolt buffer, Victor Co Titan stock, then the Kidd ULW 16" is on the way.

Semper Fidelis,
    Aaron

Will a 30 MOA rail and an Athlon Talos BTR 4-14x44 get me there?

I'm running a 20 MOA rail with a scope that has 18 mils of vert adjustment. 300 is as far as I can reach, but a 40 MOA would push me put to 500 yards.

I'd measure the amount of upwards movement you have left after getting your zero and then calc the perfect amount of MOA to maximize your range.

Reactions: 1911Shootist
    I am all for expanding the range of the 22LR round, but it seems like you are infringing on mortar territory with the extra need of 30 MOA.
    My questions:
    What are terminal ballistics of the round at 500 yards? Will it even penetrate a squirrel's arse at that range?
    What is the velocity of the round you are shooting? 1650?

I'm using the EGW 40 MOA with an Athlon Ares (not ETR). I've got a 50 yard zero, and about 20 Mils of up available. With a little reticle, it'll get me to 400 yards. Its the only 40 MOA i've found for the 10/22 and for that reason its the only rail i'll use. Its not a machining work or art or anything but it does what i need it to do-Norcal911

I have not seen the 40 moa version, but I will look for it.

I am all for expanding the range of the 22LR round, but it seems like you are infringing on mortar territory with the extra need of 30 MOA.
    My questions:
    What are terminal ballistics of the round at 500 yards? Will it even penetrate a squirrel's arse at that range?

Some NRL/PRS style 22 rimfire matches go out to 400. I want to be able to dail for 300 or more if needed.

My diamondback tactical runs out at 175, and I have to go to the hold overs and can’t run enough power to see the damn target plus the fuzzy image.. I’m gonna be looking for something soon myself

Not sure I will be competitive, but I want to play with it and find out. Back when I bought the bull barrel and stock, it shot 1 moa 10 shot groups at 100 yards with Winchester Power Points and a 2.5-10 Simmons. Shot a lot of prairie dogs and ground squirrels past 150 with it.

I will eventually get a T1x to go with my centerfire Tikka rifles.

Area 419 30 MOA rail on my Tikka using an Ares BTR 4.5-27 and a 25 yd zero. I can get out to about 400 using the dials at the crosshairs. I just ordered a Vudoo and went with the 40 MOA.

My TacSol .22 takedown has a 10 MOA rail and I can get out to about 300 - 350 using just the dials and crosshairs.

IMO, more MOA is better when it comes to .22 unless it's only gonna be used under 100 yards or so.

I had the same problem getting my Volquartsen setup for 22 PRS. I ended up having to use the volquartsen 20moa base and a 30moa American Defense mount. My PST gen2 with a 50yd zero maxes out at 23.3mils. This combo lets me dial for the 400yd stages...500yds requires a bit of a hold over.

I've got a 20moa base for a 10/22 laying around, PM if you want it.

Reactions: Woodbubba
    I've got a DIP 25 MOA base on my T1x with a Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44 that gives me 21 MRAD of up elevation. Dialed all the way up from a 50 yard zero I can get 400 yards holding 1 MRAD in the reticle with Center-X. Our match director likes to throw in long range bonus stages that take us out that far.

Reactions: TP1960
    Running an Atlas Midas Tac using Burris XTR Signature rings with a fixed 0moa integral rail. Am using the 20moa insert setup, if I need to dial ELR i think a bolt gun might have a velocity advantage over a semi. Also, 20moa picatinny riser rails are available. BTW: Seen a ELR match announcement in TN that went out to 460yds...

My questions:
    So, I shoot a 10-22 in the Peacemaker .22LR Long Range challenge with an aftermarket GM heavy barrel, and that match last time went to 520 yards. At that distance, my CCI SV is going about 550 fps and dropping about an inch every foot; muzzle velocity is 1052 fps average, 20 fps ES 9.5fps SD, and group size at 500 yards with no wind is around 18" tall by about 8" to 10" wide, due I think mostly to vertical stringing from MV variance.

My scope is Burris MTAC 3.5-10x 30 mm tube with the G2B reticle. I used a 20 MOA base, added a lead shim, epoxied under the base and used long screws to attach to the receiver to get a total of about 27 mils of comeup from the tube. I still hold about 7 mils for 500 yards over that. Drift for 10 mph wind at 90 degrees is about 6.3 mils; I was shooting 7.5 mils of wind for 520 yard targets during the last match.

A squirrel would be pretty safe at that distance, but if I do my part, the stick and ammo will hit 20" square steel at that distance.

With regard to all who seek the Light,
    Historian

Well, I guess that gives me something to look forward to. I've got a 10/22 16.5" heavy barrel that I've only tried to 150M with 4" groups. Only playing around with, but maybe someday I might think about trying distance. Good luck...

Well, I guess that gives me something to look forward to. I've got a 10/22 16.5" heavy barrel that I've only tried to 150M with 4" groups. Only playing around with, but maybe someday I might think about trying distance. Good luck...
    Thanks! Same back atcha. The reason I got interested in .22 LR is that 100 yards with a .22 is about the same windage as a centerfire at 500. Similarly, at 200, the windage is about the same as centerfire at 1000. If you learn to read the wind at those distances, or even farther, then you have an easier transition to centerfire long range. That is why I shoot rimfire long range, to polish my skills at wind reading, holding and shooting, and I can do it without having to use a 1000 yard range. I have two ranges close by that offer up to 300 yards every day, and .22 barrels with lead ammo essentially do not wear out, unlike my centerfire sticks.

If you can get <1/2" to 3/4" groups at 50 yards, then you ought to be able to reliably hit 3" to 4" targets at up to 200 yards. I use CCI SV and check group sizes when i get a new lot; I keep the really good lots for matches and shoot the others for practice. See what your rifle likes, check lots for that ammo, and try to get a good stock of good shooting ammo, and you ought to be able to get 2" groups at 165 yards/150 meters.

With regard to all who serve the Light,
    Historian

Reactions: Seymour Fish
    I've got a DIP 25 MOA base on my T1x with a Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44 that gives me 21 MRAD of up elevation. Dialed all the way up from a 50 yard zero I can get 400 yards holding 1 MRAD in the reticle with Center-X. Our match director likes to throw in long range bonus stages that take us out that far.
    I have been looking at the Diamondback Tactical, but I was concerned about it having only 15 MRAD of windage adjustment. Have you found this to be an issue at the longer distances?

I have been looking at the Diamondback Tactical, but I was concerned about it having only 15 MRAD of windage adjustment. Have you found this to be an issue at the longer distances?

I've never even checked my total windage travel because I rarely use much of it at all. I'll sometimes dial a windage offset if it's blowing pretty consistently, no more than a mil or two, but past that I usually hold wind because it tends to be so variable where I'm at. I think the last time we had a 350 yard stage I was dialed about 1 mil for wind and I held about 2.5 more in the reticle and went 3 of 4 on a 2/3 IPSC. So to answer your question - I have not found windage adjustment to be a problem even at long range with the Diamondback Tactical.

Vortex says the 6-24 has 19 Mil. Using a ballistic calculator, at 300yds with a 27mph 90* wind, you will need 9.2mil. I dont think it will be an issue

I've never even checked my total windage travel because I rarely use much of it at all. I'll sometimes dial a windage offset if it's blowing pretty consistently, no more than a mil or two, but past that I usually hold wind because it tends to be so variable where I'm at. I think the last time we had a 350 yard stage I was dialed about 1 mil for wind and I held about 2.5 more in the reticle and went 3 of 4 on a 2/3 IPSC. So to answer your question - I have not found windage adjustment to be a problem even at long range with the Diamondback Tactical.
    Awesome. Thanks!

Would this work 30 moa?

https://dlaskarms.com/product/rails...eiver-existing-4-bolt-pattern-870-perfect-fo/

I am also looking at the Athlon Talos BTR Tactical 4-14×44 APLR2 FFP IR MIL scope on a Ruger 10 22. I also just picked up the BX drop in precision trigger.

Running an Atlas Midas Tac using Burris XTR Signature rings with a fixed 0moa integral rail. Am using the 20moa insert setup, if I need to dial ELR i think a bolt gun might have a velocity advantage over a semi. Also, 20moa picatinny riser rails are available. BTW: Seen a ELR match announcement in TN that went out to 460yds...