• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site Updates Coming Soon - We're Updating The Homepage!

We've got some exciting changes coming, check the thread below for more info!

VIEW THREAD

300 Blk Upper ideas needed

ccasanova

Private
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2010
Southeast LA
I have an ACC SDN-6 that needs a host upper. I don’t know much about 300blk, but think it make a decent truck/atv gun for armadillos, coons, possums, hogs, etc. I have a couple SBR lowers, would put a RDS on it. Plan would be subs only. I have 6.5G and 5.56 SBRS and even with cans, they are loud. What barrel length will be most handy and reliable?
Looking for recommendations on factory uppers. Thanks

300 BO was designed to work with shorter barrels. 8” is fine and makes for a handy package with a can. My 8.5” Hardened Arms upper with Saker 7.62 is stupid quiet with 220 grain subs. Supers are much louder, but the subs are hearing safe FOR ME.

OFG

I have a 8.5” Seekins barrel. Pretty handy with my 30cal can.

83ABE7FE-A308-4831-8EB6-36B1ACF5C523.jpeg

Prepper gun shop has a complete pistol built with a ballistic advantage barrel for $550. If your on a budget it might be something to consider.

I went with an 8” Aero barrel. Still compact with a can, runs subs and supers both well. Makes a great farm/ranch gun, I also hunt deer with it quite a bit.

Mine has a noveske 8.2” barrel and runs a tbac ultra 7 on it. Plenty quiet for me. I run supers exclusively. I have played with subs but when I built the gun my intention was to primarily run supers out of it.

Just build it yourself it's not that hard. I just built a complete 300 Blk Out with a Criterion 1:7 twist 10.5". I built it to run Subs not planning on a Suppressor.

First thing I would do is buy one of the white oak armory 300 black barrels that are on sale rite now for $100
A92FBC37-89FB-4498-9254-1CF93ED0F089.png

I have a Ballistic Advantage 8.3 barrel with a LaRue 7.0 rail and a DeadAir Sandman K. Runs great with both supers and subs.

I now have an A5 Buffer tube on it with a A5 Zero Buffer. Great little gun. I also now have AAC SDN-6 on it instead of the DeadAir.

20190226_203815.jpg

I did 16", 11", and 9" in 300 Blk barrels for myself, and have assembled and used a number of others. Of the two short barrels, 11" had better ballistics and was quieter. (I shortened it to 9", so direct comparison but can't go back.) Doing it again I would choose one of the common 10.5" barrels and would not go shorter, losing another inch or two is not worth the trade off, 10.5" is plenty short enough.

Also, while I like the quality of something like that WOA barrel above, I see zero reason for a heavy profile in a short 300 Blk barrel. A lighter profile 10.5" barrel is just as handy as a heavy 9" barrel, the the heavy profile is not needed for stiffness in this application. It's not needed for heat either; the 300 Blk doesn't get that hot if you're not going full auto.

Reactions: Old_Longhair
I did 16", 11", and 9" in 300 Blk barrels for myself, and have assembled and used a number of others. Of the two short barrels, 11" had better ballistics and was quieter. (I shortened it to 9", so direct comparison but can't go back.) Doing it again I would choose one of the common 10.5" barrels and would not go shorter, losing another inch or two is not worth the trade off, 10.5" is plenty short enough.

Also, while I like the quality of something like that WOA barrel above, I see zero reason for a heavy profile in a short 300 Blk barrel. A lighter profile 10.5" barrel is just as handy as a heavy 9" barrel, the the heavy profile is not needed for stiffness in this application. It's not needed for heat either; the 300 Blk doesn't get that hot if you're not going full auto.

What are the Trade Offs that you get with the 10.5 over a shorter barrel? I know with my 8.2 with the AAC SDN-6 on it shooting 220 OTM all you hear is the action of the BCG. With Suppers I have had it out to 300 yards with no issues.

Are you referring to gaining muzzle velocity? If so, then what is your end game for said increase going to get you? Is it extra Barrier penetration or something like that? Thanks

What are the Trade Offs that you get with the 10.5 over a shorter barrel? I know with my 8.2 with the AAC SDN-6 on it shooting 220 OTM all you hear is the action of the BCG. With Suppers I have had it out to 300 yards with no issues.

Are you referring to gaining muzzle velocity? If so, then what is your end game for said increase going to get you? Is it extra Barrier penetration or something like that? Thanks
Docsherm.....this is too funny....as in LaRue POD shipped to FL docsherm?

I like the 11 to 11.5 inch barrels, but in all reality, it works great with barrels as short as 8".
You can go Gucci if you want, but we are talking a short range truck gun, it's going to get beat up.
I have a model 1 sales complete upper, I cut it back to 11.5", runs just fine and is quite accurate.
I believe the barrel is an ER Shaw.
Lot's of poor folks run PSA stuff and tend to be quite happy.

Trade offs of a longer 10.5" barrel? Not much - an extra couple inches and an ounce or two. It's pretty insignificant in exchange for a basically free velocity boost and slightly quieter suppressed sound.

Your comment about the sound of yours suppressed is misleading though. That might be all YOU hear when you shoot it, but it is definitely not what other people in the same area hear; the sound of the shot is significant and reducing it does make the overall noise quieter. Some guys like to exaggerate a bit and claim their 300 Blk AR is super quiet with subs, but if it cycles the action, it's not that quiet, and a shorter barrel makes it worse. Perspective is important.

Reactions: Docsherm
Trade offs of a longer 10.5" barrel? Not much - an extra couple inches and an ounce or two. It's pretty insignificant in exchange for a basically free velocity boost and slightly quieter suppressed sound.

Your comment about the sound of yours suppressed is misleading though. That might be all YOU hear when you shoot it, but it is definitely not what other people in the same area hear; the sound of the shot is significant and reducing it does make the overall noise quieter. Some guys like to exaggerate a bit and claim their 300 Blk AR is super quiet with subs, but if it cycles the action, it's not that quiet, and a shorter barrel makes it worse. Perspective is important.

I am not basing the sound off what I hear. It is off what those in front and behind me hear as they are recording it.

I have found out that different manufactures ammo, even of the same grain, will have different levels of sound heard shooting it and different sound from a distance. The trick is to find the best ammo for your set up. Quite and still cycles as you want it to.

I am not basing the sound off what I hear. It is off what those in front and behind me hear as they are recording it.

I have found out that different manufactures ammo, even of the same grain, will have different levels of sound heard shooting it and different sound from a distance. The trick is to find the best ammo for your set up. Quite and still cycles as you want it to.

Well yeah, the ammo thing is pretty well known by those of us who've shot suppressed loads for a while. Many of us who've done this a while work up our own loads to be as quiet as possible for exactly that reason.

Another observation I've made about those who tend to exaggerate how quiet their suppressed AR is, is that they almost never admit to exaggerating. Often the truth comes out that they're shooting at a range with others shooting in the same area, or something like that, so they don't actually have a good perspective of the sound of the shot and what they're really hearing (or more accurately - not hearing).

All that to say - even with the best loads and best suppressor, your suppressed 300 Blk can not be as quiet as you claim, unless yours is magic. Perspective from shooting in a quieter area, and with other suppressed subsonic guns and loads, will probably change your stance on that.

Well yeah, the ammo thing is pretty well known by those of us who've shot suppressed loads for a while. Many of us who've done this a while work up our own loads to be as quiet as possible for exactly that reason.

Another observation I've made about those who tend to exaggerate how quiet their suppressed AR is, is that they almost never admit to exaggerating. Often the truth comes out that they're shooting at a range with others shooting in the same area, or something like that, so they don't actually have a good perspective of the sound of the shot and what they're really hearing (or more accurately - not hearing).

All that to say - even with the best loads and best suppressor, your suppressed 300 Blk can not be as quiet as you claim, unless yours is magic. Perspective from shooting in a quieter area, and with other suppressed subsonic guns and loads, will probably change your stance on that.

I am not going to argue with you about this. I know all of the stuff that you are talking about. I have been doing this for some time also. Others may not know or are just getting into this. I try to help inform people. Especially the OP that is asking about 300 BO.

Everyone is going to have different experiences with their set ups because most are different. Even the ones that have the exact same parts will have variation one the building of it. Some will be better than others. Some will be worse. There are many variables to consider and to say that you know them all and have addressed them all is simply not possible.

My set up is quite enough that I am very happy with it. And I was just talking to a friend that was there and he brought up the fact that HE could hear the hammer drop when I was shooting it. He also said that he could not tell it was a shot if it was in a library.

Is it quieter than a 22 rifle with a can shooting sub sonic ammo..... HELL no. But it is quite. I am not saying that it is Hollywood movie quite. But it is quite.

Now lets get back to helping the OP get into the 300 BO world. ?

Reactions: oldfatguy
Ccassanova, 300blk is kinda my thing. I’ve got 4 gas guns in 300 blk and working on a 5th.
-The happy zone for barrel length is 7-9 inches.
-For shooting subs you want a 7:1 or faster twist. (Q’s 7” barrel is 5:1)
-No real advantage to running longer barrels, you pick up velocity, which you’re not really after, and longer OAL which you’re not really after either if it’s gonna be a 4 wheeler/truck gun.
-I’ve always had good luck with 5.56 pmags feeding reliably. No need to get 300blk specific mags.

Ballistic advantage makes great budget barrels, 7:1 twist. I’d recommend them.

Also check out Discrete Ballistics for their bad ass ammo.

-The happy zone for barrel length is 7-9 inches.
-No real advantage to running longer barrels, you pick up velocity, which you’re not really after, and longer OAL which you’re not really after either if it’s gonna be a 4 wheeler/truck gun.

A 7" barrel is significantly louder than a 10.5-11" barrel, both suppressed and bare, and the 7" loses up to 250 fps or more with full power loads. There is definitely an advantage to the longer barrel.

One can turn that argument around and point out that if you don't need to save a few inches in length, there is no advantage to the shorter barrel. The length and handling differences between them are pretty minor, other than trying to fit it into a small case or bag.

A 7" barrel is significantly louder than a 10.5-11" barrel, both suppressed and bare, and the 7" loses up to 250 fps or more with full power loads. There is definitely an advantage to the longer barrel.

One can turn that argument around and point out that if you don't need to save a few inches in length, there is no advantage to the shorter barrel. The length and handling differences between them are pretty minor, other than trying to fit it into a small case or bag.
Significantly louder? Any data to back that up?
Also, why would you want to gain 250fps shooting exclusively subs?

If you’re itchin to drop some coin, the Rainier Ultramatch 10.5” or 16“ barrels are excellent. Add on a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block and there goes $400. Sub moa at 100Y with Lehigh 194gr ME subsonic and Barnes 110gr tsx (handloads).

It doesn't matter really. I have a 10" pistol and a 16" rifle. Even with 220 subs and a suppressor, it's louder than you think. The gas coming back through the gas tube bypasses the suppressor to an exit and you'll still have a pretty loud bang. Hell, even in my bolt gun with the suppressor, it's still pretty loud for varmint control at night.

How quiet are bolt action 300blk subs? Are they BA .22rimfire quiet?

My .22rimfire BA is Much quieter than my semi-auto .22 pistols, both suppressed of course.

How quiet are bolt action 300blk subs? Are they BA .22rimfire quiet?

Depends what ammo you're talking about. With factory loads intended to cycle an AR - no, not even close unless you're comparing to a very short barrel 22LR. They are definitely quieter from a bolt than from an AR, but very few subsonic rounds are as quiet as a decent suppressed single shot or bolt 22LR with something like the 60gr Aguilas. Handloads built specifically for bolt actions can be quieter than factory loads, but still not rimfire quiet.

If you really want hollywood quiet, it's hard to beat a 20"-24" 22 LR bolt action with decent subsonic loads.

I have a 10.5 blk pistol, it's a psa which is definitely not top notch but I havent ever had an issue with reliability with a can and subs, realistically it's just a critters in the yard gun anyway so reliability isnt 100% important.
Remington umc 220gr subs are very quiet, gemtec 208s are even quieter.

Attachments

• 20191215_013552.jpg
    20191215_013552.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 58
Whatever barrel length you choose, consider a PRI Gasbuster charging handle. I tested it side-by-side with a BCM and it really does work.

Reactions: MSTN
The .300 Blackout has proven to be an effective and versatile cartridge in short barrels.

My shortest has a V7 6.5" SS barrel that I run with supers. It has been 100% reliable and is remarkably accurate:

IMG_5962.jpg

IMG_3520.jpg

My suppressed .300 Blackout has a 10.25" V7 SS barrel. With a suppressor, I like a longer handguard to grab. Amazingly quiet with subs:

IMG_8162.jpeg

IMG_8163.jpeg

There are a lot of reasons to like V7 .300 Blackout barrels. The key one for me is their barrel extensions are modified for .30 caliber bullets, not the usual 0.250" diameter AR' feed ramps.

Whatever barrel length you choose, consider a PRI Gasbuster charging handle. I tested it side-by-side with a BCM and it really does work.

I haven't used one of those so I'm curious. Looks like they have a gas vent out to the right side that directs gas away from a right handed shooter. Does it make the gas worse when shooting left handed? Or am I misunderstanding how these work?

I haven't used one of those so I'm curious. Looks like they have a gas vent out to the right side that directs gas away from a right handed shooter. Does it make the gas worse when shooting left handed? Or am I misunderstanding how these work?

I think it depends on whether you are nose-to-charging handle or not. If you are, it's probably not going to work well. Otherwise, it's probably better than a standard charging handle. YMMV.

My suppressed .300 Blackout has a 10.25" V7 SS barrel. With a suppressor, I like a longer handguard to grab.

Same for me. My 10.3" barrel is much better ergonomicaly than the shorter barrels.

Nice looking rig you got there.

Reactions: MSTN