• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing 300 Norma Magnum Ackley Improved

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    Nothing like a "crew served bolt gun" to spice up your life.

1.550" BAT M receiver
    1.350 to 1.125 over 30" Brux skip flute barrel
    Monster brake
    Manners stock

My fiddlins!

Here's the stock and receiver inletting work. Next comes the prep for "goopin"

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

The devil is in the details. Bedding a gun right entails ensuring all the surfaces are masked properly with a material that won't shift or stick to the resin once it's cured. Few masking materials do this better than clay. I take a lot of time prepping the reciever. If everything is perfect then there's no reason to worry about a sticky action upon the tear down. Doing it this for over 8 years now has resulted in a 100% success rate. I've never stuck one. (knock on wood)

Bad ass release agent doesn't hurt either.

DSC_0081-1.jpg

DSC_0082-1.jpg

DSC_0083.jpg

More to come!

C.

Re: 300 Norma Magnum Ackley Improved

Here's a few more in no particular order.

Barreled/braked:
    DSC_0076-1.jpg

DSC_0073-2.jpg

Stock inletted:

DSC_0023-4.jpg

DSC_0072-1.jpg

Prepped for bedding:

DSC_0083.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

Notice the tang and how it sits out of the stock. When learning to build Olympic Guns it was beaten into my skull that trigger shoe placement drives the boat. Meaning the action sits where it sits. In this situation it means the tang ended up a bit proud in the stock. In order to blend this were going to have to build up the back of the stock a bit. Notice the holes spotted all over the tang to give resin something to stick to.

Not a big deal. Here's a 300 Win Mag that I had to do the same thing to.

DSC_0007-2.jpg

DSC_0005-4.jpg

DSC_0010-3.jpg

DSC_0013-1.jpg

Nothing like chewing on a $600 stock blank! NO FEAR! Epoxy gives me a divine power
    smile.gif

Ok, back to work. I wanna get this one done before the day's over.

C.

I guess I dunno either. I've not chambered any of the other Norma cartridges.

This one is a "Frankencartridge" as its neck turn, 40* improved, etc.

The client wants to shoot plate in excess of a mile. 2500 yards and beyond if he can do it. should be fun.

Were gonna squirt this stock in Copper Orange Metalic with some jet black pinstripe. Basically a H/D that goes bang.

Kinda cool. I finally got to use my little hobby lathe for the reason I bought it. Turning necks. works like a champ. This ND is a 338. I turned the cases down to .334/loaded.

Works pretty cool!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is like watching a child being born............. Only this one won't be as expensive to feed! </div></div>

Just wait till you get the bill for the delivery!
    smile.gif

J/K Jimbo.

Here's some more pics. She's cookin now.

DSC_0087.jpg

DSC_0085.jpg
    DSC_0086.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0088.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">chad,

I'm by no means a magnum guy, but I have shot a 308 Norma Mag... what's the different between it and the 300 Norma Mag? </div></div>

.308 Norma Magnum was essentially a standardized 30-338WinMag from the early 1960's (standard H&H magnum case shortened to ~2.5" ala 264WM, 7RM, 338WM, 458WM, etc) 180gr @ 3000fps.

.300 Norma is a necked down .338 Norma (which is a shortened and slightly blown out 338LapuaMag.

Significant difference in size and performance.

456px-.338_Lapua_Magnum_vs_.338_Norma_Magnum.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like a cool toy and excellent workmanship.

What epoxy do you use for bedding? </div></div>

The kind that works. Some things I don't share. That would be one of them.
    smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remember, this is an Ackley.

</div></div>

MORE BETTER!!!!!!!

BTW a pleasure watching you work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chad, is that a hornady 225 sitting in there? Seems like the bullet is taking up ALOT of boiler room.

I was expecting a c.o.a.l. of something like 3.635". </div></div>

Jim I stuffed these with an old can of experimental. N570 that was given to me years ago. I crammed a bullet in there and we shot/cleaned to get the throat tuned up. Didn't pay much attention to the depth. Hell, didn't even weigh the charge! It "looked right" so I just went with it. Cases formed ok although the case/shoulder junction isn't very sharp yet. Prolly a bit light on the charge or the powder is too slow. Once we get to "real" shooting ill build up the test rounds.

Don't be frettin!

C.

Step one entails knocking the glaze off the cured resin with a 49'r rasp. This preps the surface and allows me to see what's going on. -in terms of how the tang now transitions to the stock.

It looked pretty good so I mixed up a pinch of glazing puddy to fill in the scratches/scour marks and will block sand to a 1:1 fit after it cures. It looks like a bunch, but most of it will end up as dust once I start sanding.

Not much to look at yet. I'll be popping it out soon as I get this knocked out.

DSC_0094.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like a cool toy and excellent workmanship.

What epoxy do you use for bedding? </div></div>

Just a guess, but the color and texture looks alot like Devcon Plastic Steel Liquid.

Devcon works great (Can't go wrong with Devcon plastic steel puddy or liquid). Just remember Devcon is so hard it's somewhat brittle. Sand it or use a high speed end mill or high speed die grinder otherwise it may chip if you use a course or semi course file.

BTW - That beautiful work on that stock!!!

Chad, it looks like you do cleanup on the action (above the show line) AFTER the bedding is set. I'm assuming that maybe you coat the entire action with release agent and not just the parts below the show line?

Can you do some detail on cleaning up the action after you pop it from the stock? Or if it's that easy, a one-liner detail will do... :) Tired of the old q-tip cleanup routine before it sets....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wrong again.

Next contestant.
    smile.gif

Guess it right and I might tell you.

Might. . . </div></div>

The color looked like Devcon, my second guess is Marine Tex but Marine Tex is slightly darker (could be mistaken from the lighting in the pic) in color, same with Pro Bed-2000 (which comes in black or brown). I wouldn't use Marine Tex...friend had a bad batch and the stuff shrank...even after 20 hours! However, many people use it and are happy with it...but after I saw shrinkage after 20 hours, I'd pass on it.

The texture also looks like Bisonite...but Bisonite unless they changed it from years ago when I used it only came in brown.

I was trying to answer the question the gentleman had. But if he's glassing his own rigs, he can't go wrong with Devcon or Pro Bed-2000.

Again, Nice work!

I hose the entire thing with an aerosol can of mold release agent (awesome chit that I sell for $24.99/can)-NOT from Brownells. I can't stand the "acra release" stuff as it films too thick for my liking. Mine is ultra thin and doesn't slime up the parts.

One can lasts me about 4 months and the shelf life seems to be indefinite.

I don't bother with scrubbing the receiver prior to setting. Just too much dern work. I wait till its out and the stock is all done. Then it's just a matter of tapping on the stuff with a plastic mallet. -an old credit card or "key" from a hotel makes for a great scraper as it won't scratch the steel. Chips right off, then its a trip through the solvent tank with a scrub brush. Then hot/soapy water.

Blow it dry and your done. Hardest part is digging all the clay out of the action. The hot water/soap takes care of that with an assortment of soft bristle brushes. Solvent is for the release agent but with enough elbow grease the hot water will work too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Animal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wrong again.

Next contestant.
    smile.gif

Might. . . </div></div>

The color looked like Devcon, my second guess is Marine Tex but Marine Tex is slightly darker (could be mistaken from the lighting in the pic) in color, same with Pro Bed-2000 (which comes in black or brown). I wouldn't use Marine Tex...friend had a bad batch and the stuff shrank...even after 20 hours! However, many people use it and are happy with it...but after I saw shrinkage after 20 hours, I'd pass on it.

The texture also looks like Bisonite...but Bisonite unless they changed it from years ago when I used it only came in brown.

I was trying to answer the question the gentleman had. But if he's glassing his own rigs, he can't go wrong with Devcon or Pro Bed-2000.

Again, Nice work!

</div></div>

Thanks for the kind remarks, but your still wrong. Not any of those either.
    smile.gif
    wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Hardest part is digging all the clay out of the action.</div></div>

That used to be the part I least looked forward to until the day I ran out of clay. My daughter had some Play Doh sitting around so I gave it a go. It works better than I hoped. It stands its ground until the bedding compound is dry, then it dries out. When it dries, it shrinks, and you barely have to touch it to remove it. No more sticky clay, I'm never going back!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Animal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wrong again.

Next contestant.
    smile.gif

Might. . . </div></div>

Again, Nice work!

</div></div>

I have been trying to get that answer from Chad since I have met him. It is truly one of the secrets he seems to keep to himself. He has shared a lot of other tips with me but until he lets that secret out I still use devcon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Animal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wrong again.

Next contestant.
    smile.gif

Might. . . </div></div>

Again, Nice work!

</div></div>

Thanks for the kind remarks, but your still wrong. Not any of those either.
    smile.gif
    wink.gif
    </div></div>

Do I get a guess? How about Bondmaster?

Obviously Chad has something good going on and you can't blame him for not giving away all the secrets of his business. I wouldn't either. I'll still use Devcon since it's easily obtainable for me until something better comes along.

The coolest part of this rifle is I'll get to shoot it and not pay the bill
    laugh.gif
    laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wrong again.

Next contestant.
    smile.gif

Might. . . </div></div>

my guess is it is a proprietary mixture you came up with using the advice from an engineer friend that works in the epoxy industry.

what do i win?
    grin.gif

i <span style="font-style: italic">think</span> i remember you mentioning something along those lines once upon a time.

the work is looking great as usual.

Okay, on to a non epoxy related topic.

Chad, since you're sending the barrel, comp and action out to MMI for nitriding, you should take some measurments on the barrel and action before the process and then measure the components after treatment and post the findings.

I'm sure everyone would be interested in the results.

Onto the final finishing touches before we go to coating/paint.

Guard screw escutcheons present a unique challenge that I believe I've solved in a rather clever way. I'm pretty proud of this. Especially for how dumb/simple the solution is.

Escutcheons are popular with BR type stocks. The unique thing about a BR stock is the draft angle between showline and the belly of the stock is often zero. They are parallel or very close to parallel.

This essentially means the receiver, guard screw, and escutcheon are all at right angles to one another. On a stock like the one before us the draft angle is roughly 2.5 degrees. This means in order to have the escutcheon flush with the bottom of the stock, the screw head is going to be off by 2.5 degrees when everything snugs up. 2.5 doesn't sound like much but you really feel it when tightening things up.

A guy can glue the part in the stock then spot face at the proper angle. I like the fact that my guns can be completely taken apart with no drama. Gluing in a part like this isn't acceptable. So what to do?

We pin the clock position of the escutcheon. Pinning it allows the escutcheon to run flush with the stock, sit in the stock tension free, and retains the clock position (which is vital) so that when we countersink the hole the screw loads on the taper evenly.

I'll let the photos take over now:

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

The escutcheon is flush with the belly of the stock, the screw head has even loading all the way around meaning the mating surfaces are at right angles to one another eventhough the body of the escutcheon isn't.

Simple things are cool sometimes.

DSC_0033.jpg

Devcon TI? Nope.

Marine tex? Nope (ick!)

For the record:

Devcon titanium is good stuff however it can be a challenge to work with. Short pot life and working time means you gotta hustle. Cutting with acetone will slow it down some however you gotta be careful as acetone will also break down the release agent.

I've used dev ti a lot with dedicated tac guns. Works great. Just a steep learning curve

There's a big world out there germs. Devcon isn't the only resin manufacturer.

Aerospace, Marine, and petroleum has some really cool stuff these days.

Use that bandwidth!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Devcon TI? Nope.

Marine tex? Nope (ick!)

For the record:

Devcon titanium is good stuff however it can be a challenge to work with. Short pot life and working time means you gotta hustle. Cutting with acetone will slow it down some however you gotta be careful as acetone will also break down the release agent.

I've used dev ti a lot with dedicated tac guns. Works great. Just a steep learning curve

There's a big world out there germs. Devcon isn't the only resin manufacturer.

Aerospace, Marine, and petroleum has some really cool stuff these days.

Use that bandwidth!
    </div></div>

I'm fairly certain that there is literally hundreds of pounds of that same stuff on the aircraft that I work on. Even buying in the quantity that we do the stuff is still extremely expensive.

I don't know the trade name of it, just what our internal materials database lists it as. I'm sure if I dug hard enough (aka, walked over the see the MatSci guys across the street) I'd be able to find out soon enough. The stuff is pretty fantastic though, and it does low tech jobs like rifle bedding really nicely in my experience.

K65310_1.jpg

Wellzzzz, were on the downward spiral on this bugger now.

Stock is finally ready for the painter. I had to drill/tap the stock for studs up front. To ensure a long service life we often pop the threaded inserts out that come with them. In this case we added a S/S steel plate that ties the two holes together in the barrel channel. Much stronger this way.

The part that was bugging me was the rail attachment. Snugging it up would certainly result in the paint getting squashed to chit so I modified it slightly. Whipped up these SS bushings to insert and stand off the rail by about .02". I think this way we retain all the strength and avoid chewing on the paint.

Came out perty good me thinks.

Off to the Painter!

C.

DSC_0005-1.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

DSC_0007-1.jpg

DSC_0008-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any update on this monster. Can't wait to see her in person.

Good luck,
    Merritt </div></div>

It's either on it's way to the painter OR it's at the painters WAITING to be cleared.

Those painters must work some goofy schedules
    crazy.gif

It's being color sanded and cleared. I will get it back either Thursday or Friday.

Brian (my painter) does this as a favor. His job is painting $400,000.00 and up (yes, that's four hundred thousand dollars) vintage Harley's, Merkels, Indians, Excelsior's, and others.

Here's a Minneapolis racer we did a while back. I did most the machine work on the engine, drive-train, sprockets, etc.

DSC_0004-6.jpg

DSC_0006-4.jpg

DSC_0005-3.jpg

Ok, I'll bite on the bedding compound..

Does it start and end with an "L" and have a hyphen in the middle? Or was that the one you used to use....

Even if by chance I was close...OPSEC.

ZY