• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site Updates Coming Soon - We're Updating The Homepage!

We've got some exciting changes coming, check the thread below for more info!

VIEW THREAD

300 PRC Barrel Length

BAO13

Minuteman
Feb 21, 2017
I'm putting together a 300PRC, I have a bartlein 31'' Blank 1:8'' Twist.

Question is what barrel Length?

This is strictly a prone gun to start shooting longer ranges until I get a bigger gun finished.

Has anyone done any testing and gotten velocities with different lengths?

To revive this... If I have a bighorn action and want a lightweight 300 prc in a proof (I like the way they shoot, and like the way they look), I will shoot it braked and suppressed... recommendations?

To revive this... If I have a bighorn action and want a lightweight 300 prc in a proof (I like the way they shoot, and like the way they look), I will shoot it braked and suppressed... recommendations?
if you want an 8 twist or a sendero lite you're limited to 26" proof. if you want a 9 sendero then it's 28" or smaller.

8 twist is limited to sendero only

Reactions: Safety_3rd
They're showing 24" drop in senderos on their website. I'd like to get one in 20" to throw on a Tikka but may have to spin up a blank for that.

There is only one problem with running a 30+" barrel....it's hard to find cases for them once you also put a muzzle brake on the end. I have mine at 28"...then an APA Lil'B on the end with a MDT ACC Chassis set to my Length of Pull....if it were a millimeter longer...it wouldn't fit in my hard case.

There is only one problem with running a 30+" barrel....it's hard to find cases for them once you also put a muzzle brake on the end. I have mine at 28"...then an APA Lil'B on the end with a MDT ACC Chassis set to my Length of Pull....if it were a millimeter longer...it wouldn't fit in my hard case.

How long is that overall if you don't mind me asking, I have a similar setup being built at the moment and I'm wondering if I need to pickup a new case.

if you want an 8 twist or a sendero lite you're limited to 26" proof...

Do you know this for a fact, or is that just what is listed on their website? Reason I ask is that I'm using one of my gift certificates to buy a .308 CF barrel, and I have emailed to ask if they will do a 28" 1 in 8 twist. Haven't heard back yet. If they won't I'll just go with the 26 1 in 8.

And, just like that, I got my answer. Nathan, from Proof, just emailed me, on Christmas Eve, no less.

Apparently the 1 in 8 on the 26" is a new part for them. It sounds like they aren't planning on a 1 in 8 28" anytime soon.

So, I guess I have to decide if I want a 28" 1 in 9 or a 26" 1 in 8.

And, just like that, I got my answer. Nathan, from Proof, just emailed me, on Christmas Eve, no less.

Apparently the 1 in 8 on the 26" is a new part for them. It sounds like they aren't planning on a 1 in 8 28" anytime soon.

So, I guess I have to decide if I want a 28" 1 in 9 or a 26" 1 in 8.

I don’t think you have enough velocity with 300PRC on the higher-BC bullets that require the 1-8 over the 1-9 to outweigh the velocity loss from barrel length and bullet weight until you’re well into subsonic territory.

That said, if you put a brake on it and want to put it in a Pelican 1750, you’ll want the 26 (or a removable/foldable buttstock).

Running a 30” on mine + 5 port brake. Takes up every bit of the case

I went to a folding buttstock to accommodate a 29.5"w/ brake but it's not a prc . It had more to do with where it needed to go in the safe than transportation. I now wish I had stayed with a 30" before the brake on that rifle.