• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

300 PRC, Proof CF, twist rate question.

GwOtTrApLoRd

FaceShooter
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2013
Fort Campbell, KY
So I'm looking at doing a new build in 300PRC with a 26in Proof CF Barrel, Sendero contour. The options they have available are either 1 in 10 or 1 in 9.4 twist rate.
I'll be shooting factory ammo, looking at the Hornady Precision hunter w/ 212gr ELD-x and the Hornady Match w/ 225gr ELD-match...………….. what twist rate would you guys go with? Thanks in advance for the help!!!! Also, if there's already a thread somewhere and you could point me in the right direction that would be awesome...I'm deployed right now and our internet is garbage so it takes FOREVER to find stuff on here.

Last edited:
Lots of info in the 300prc thread but go with that 9.4 twist and call it a day. 10 twist works fine also but the 9.4 if wanting to be on the safe side with heavy pills.

I have both. 9.4 on a Cadex and 10 on a surgeon / manners hunting rig. I can't tell a difference. Maybe if your at sea level and shooting in zero degree temps you would?? Probably not... I just went with what was available at the time. If you have both available go with the 9.4.

Hmm good write up, my hart barreled 300 win mag was an 8 twist I never had any issues with it. And Andy don’t have any issues with his but his bartlien 10 twist didn’t shoot the 230s and 240s nearly as well as his 8 twist carb6

Reactions: MOUNTIC
Why would the twist rate be any different than 300WM, 300NM, or 300RUM? They are all approx the same powder capacity and shooting similar weight bullets... The only reason it would be different is if you had some specialized scenario.

Why would the twist rate be any different than 300WM, 300NM, or 300RUM? They are all approx the same powder capacity and shooting similar weight bullets... The only reason it would be different is if you had some specialized scenario.
300WM and 300RUM in a lot of scenarios arent meant to shoot the new 215/225/230 like 300PRC and 300NM

Yeah, the Norma and PRC are meant to be mag fed with the newer heavy pills.

9 twist will stabilize everything out there. 8 twist is overkill IMO, but it will work. 10 twist should be okay for 98% of everything, but may run into problems with ultra-heavies in certain weather/locations. For a hunting rifle, either of your options will work, but 9.4 is the 'err on the safe side' option.

Thanks for all of the responses guys, I really appreciate it......I found the 300PRC thread and have been going through that line by line soaking it all up. Lots of good info out there, hopefully the factory loads start to become more readily available. Cant wait to get back from downrange and get started with this new rifle.

Ended up going with a 26" Proof CF 9.4 twist Sendero profile. Blank got to the house a couple weeks ago. Cant wait to get back home and get this rifle going!
received_2455270871171522.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 96C and MOUNTIC
Hornady does all their testing with a 1:8.
Everything from 178 all the way up to the new 250’s.
I’ll be ordering either 1:8 or maybe 1:8.5

I just received a Krieger 4 groove 1.8.5. Waiting on the stock to arrive then off to the smith. I did alot of research and ended up with this rate. Plan on shooting the 245 EOL Bergers.

Anyone have feedback on 1:8 twist in the last year since this post started? Barrett only offers 300PRC MRAD barrels with a 1:8 twist. I plan on running factory 225 Hornady ammo. I’m new to this stuff!

seems like the sg would be higher than what Tooley recommends.

Last edited: