300 PRC Rifle

42N8 1

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2008
Idaho
Yesterday I dropped off all the parts at the local gunsmith to have a 300 PRC built. I hope I made the right caliber decision. The rifle should be ready around 5 months. Looking forward to having a completed custom rifle.

Reactions: b2lee
A lot of these guys have waiting list 6 months long. It isn't so much about them waiting on barrels or receivers. It is more about them putting in their hours in the shop and then calling it a day and spending time with their family. The good ones are worth the wait. A lot of us say we'd be in the shop 18hrs a day 7 days a week to make all the money we can, but after say 20-30 years...our attitudes would probably change and treat it as a normal job and take time at the end of the day to spend time with the people who make us the most happy.

The good ones won't hurry a product just to get it out the door. They treat each build like it is the most important one they've ever done. I respect these men and women for the craftsmanship they provide. I'm willing to wait.

A lot of these guys have waiting list 6 months long. It isn't so much about them waiting on barrels or receivers. It is more about them putting in their hours in the shop and then calling it a day and spending time with their family. The good ones are worth the wait. A lot of us say we'd be in the shop 18hrs a day 7 days a week to make all the money we can, but after say 20-30 years...our attitudes would probably change and treat it as a normal job and take time at the end of the day to spend time with the people who make us the most happy.

The good ones won't hurry a product just to get it out the door. They treat each build like it is the most important one they've ever done. I respect these men and women for the craftsmanship they provide. I'm willing to wait.

Fair enough. I figured 5 months would be crazy and not the norm anymore. Hell I can order an action, trigger, stock/chassis, and prefit barrel and be shooting in 6 weeks or less. Well if I had the funds that is.

What load of BS......You sound like union rep

What load of BS......You sound like union rep

I'm about as anti-union as you can get. This is the opposite of the union mentality. Here you have a man that works for himself...decides his own hours...based on the demand, he can set his own prices. His future business is tied to the quality and reputation he builds over a lifetime. If he chooses to have a regular life...and enjoy time spent with family....or time spent hunting...or time spent shooting competitions...then I say great for him.

Now, if your needs are time sensitive....and you need a 300PRC right away...there are other options now....Browning....Savage...Gunwerks....Ruger....there are off the shelf and semi-boutique rifle builders out there.

Do you know this gunsmith personally? If not why do you speak on behalf of gunsmiths in general?
I know several dozen of them personally and I can assure you their work ethics, priorities and business methods are polar opposites from one end to the other.
Several of the gunsmiths on this site who are regarded as some of the best in the industry can do the work with all parts sent in in 60 days or less and some others take a year or so because A. this is a part time thing for them or B. they are lazy assholes that work 2-3 days a week and always bitch they're business sucks or not making enough money. Yes they are lazy assholes and Ive personally driven over and repoed all the parts and cancelled a large agency contracts from some of them. Just like most businesses the ones that do really well are because they are well organized, good quality and know when to stop taking more work.
The shit ones are the ones who love to talk for hours before taking the work and make all kinds of promises and then stop answering emails and calls after taking the work and dont know when to stop taking in new work.
If your talking about a work of art build like a Holland and Holland with wood and metal engraving thats a different story all togather.

YMMV

Reactions: BCX
I like how Creedmoor Sports shows 300PRC ADG brass in stock....I guess the stock shelf is on a UPS truck heading to Alabama from KY.

That's where I got mine from. I had to call as a first-time customer and I asked how much they got. They said 100 boxes, and that they hadn't even opened the shipping box, but had sold through more than 6o of them in the first day.

So...I think Unicorn hunting is a lot like finding love....it will always hit you when you aren't looking for it. I was at a hole in the wall place today looking at maybe doing some consignment type gun sales. My safe runaeth over with things I no longer shoot. Plus I may need some $$$$ to buy stuff on my want list. I look behind the counter and BAM!!!.....I see a Unicorn!!!

Today's purchases:

rl26.png

Only 2 pounds of RL-26...but it was in the wild...haven't seen any retail for a long long time....way before I actually wanted to buy some to test 300PRC. They only had 5 100ct FGMM LRP...so I bought them all...even though I don't exactly need them atm...and they had one box of 225gr ELD-M's with a touch of dust on top. Probably did them a favor by buying this inventory.

Welp....guess I will test some out this weekend.

Reactions: Steel head
I have Josh at PVA building me one of his 26” barrels (7twist) in a Big Horn TL3
Using a Cadex chassis, I’m super pumped The NF ATACR just showed up , along with the Atlas bipod, just waiting for the 30MOA Spuhr to show up. (And the rifle. Josh suggested the 7tw for the heavier loads that he makes or if I use the 225 Hornaday factory will work great with both. Can not wait.

What total weight do you expect from this build?