• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

300 Win Mag Rebarrel caliber

Fourtyfive

Private
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2019
Got a Savage 110 in 300 win mag from a pawn shop few weeks ago for a pretty good deal.
I haven't put a lot of time behind it yet, but I can tell it doesn't like 180gr all to much. 2-3" groupings and the sporter barrel heats up pretty fast. This is leading me to wanting to rebarrel it sooner than I had intended.

Considering switching it to a 300 PRC over the 300 WM. Performance seems to be the same on paper, but is the PRC as accurate a hornady markets it to be? Also anyone have thoughts on a 6.5 PRC in a long action? Any other calibers worth looking at? Rifle will be for 1000+yd target shooting for fun, not competition.

I do reload, and one concern with the PRC is that Hornady seems to be the only brass currently available and I haven't had to much luck with their brass in 6.5CM lasting very long, so don't have high hopes with it in a magnum cartridge. Anyone have any idea if/when other companies might offer brass for it?

as long as you can use CIP length mags or want to single feed then 300PRC
It is currently sitting in an Oryx Chassis with 3.715" Magazine. What is the length for CIP mag's, and what are most people loading out to with the PRC. Was looking at the Hornady manual, and it is showing 3.700 for max COL, and the 230/250gr A-Tips at 3.685".

ADG has brass coming out like next week or two so all set on brass department
I came across that after I posted this last night.

Thanks for the replies. I am new to the magnum stuff and just getting into long range and actual load development.

The caliber isn’t your issue. I’m guessing the barrel is old or just not made for 1000+ yds. I have a .300 win mag with a 26” barrel and it can hit at a mile, accurately. It’s a sub-MOA rifle and I have no complaints. .300 win mag is my absolute favorite caliber. If you get a new Bartlein or Krieger barrel for it, from 24” to 30”, you’ll see monumental accuracy improvements. You can get it fluted to assist in heat dissipation, too. Hopefully I can help you here.

The caliber isn’t your issue...
Thank you for your reply, and I know the 300wm is more than capable cartridge, I Just like to play around with the idea of different calibers if I am going to re-barrel. Staying 300wm is definitely something I am considering, as well as 7RM and a few others. After doing some more research and with the help of guys on here, I figured that 300 PRC will not be idea for this gun do to mag restrictions. Funds got tied up in more important things so, the barrel is on the back burner for now. just gives me more time to research and decide what I want to do. Thanks again.

as long as you can use CIP length mags or want to single feed then 300PRC

ADG has brass coming out like next week or two so all set on brass department

The standard AI LA mags hold 3.64 OAL. Hodgdon data shows an OAL of 3.575 for the 220 ELD and 230 Berger. CIP will give more room, but its not a CIP or single feed proposition.

The standard AI LA mags hold 3.64 OAL. Hodgdon data shows an OAL of 3.575 for the 220 ELD and 230 Berger. CIP will give more room, but its not a CIP or single feed proposition.
MDT and Accurate mag both list the 3.715" Mag as a 3.615 COL. Hornady shows COL for the 212 ELD X and 225 ELD M to be 3.650 and 3.680. and 230/250 A-Tip @ 3.685. 200 and 220 ELD X are 3.575 and 3.585. So If I chose 300prc, and wanted to mag feed, I would be limited to a 220gr ELD, and single feed the heavier bullets. Can you link to where you see an AI LA mag holding 3.64 COL?

Any thoughts of downsizing caliber a little? Look at a 7mm RM pushing 180 ELDs with a .777/.391 BC at 2900fps. Get a 28" barrel with a 8-8.5 twist and it would do it easily and probably faster. I am in that neighborhood with my 24" barrel.

MDT and Accurate mag both list the 3.715" Mag as a 3.615 COL. Hornady shows COL for the 212 ELD X and 225 ELD M to be 3.650 and 3.680. and 230/250 A-Tip @ 3.685. 200 and 220 ELD X are 3.575 and 3.585. So If I chose 300prc, and wanted to mag feed, I would be limited to a 220gr ELD, and single feed the heavier bullets. Can you link to where you see an AI LA mag holding 3.64 COL?

I got those measurements from mags in my cabinet.

Limited to the 220 ELD, 208 BTHP, 208 AMX, 210, 215 and 230 Berger, but all you would have to do, is push the 230 A tip and 212 ELD in a little father than Hornady said. To mag feed the 230 Atip and 212 ELD in a non-CIP mag. That doesn't make the PRC any more CIP length required than the 300wm. The 300PRC is a shorter case than the 300WM. So with the same amount of bullet in the neck the OAL of the 300WM will be longer.

Any thoughts of downsizing caliber a little? Look at a 7mm RM pushing 180 ELDs with a .777/.391 BC at 2900fps. Get a 28" barrel with a 8-8.5 twist and it would do it easily and probably faster. I am in that neighborhood with my 24" barrel.
I am open to any and all caliber options. The 7mm RM was actually my first thought before learning about the PRC. I am by no means stuck on the 300prc or any other caliber.

Somthat means youd need a new bolt for the rifle as well?
As Rob stated, the PRC uses magnum bolt face. But on a Savage you can change the bolt nose out to a diff size, and PG&T sells new ones for $70. no need to change the entire bolt.