300 winmag newbie 1000 yrd help pls

Prebanpaul

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2009
Akron Ohio Summit
i am about to start shooting 500-1500 yrds. I am using a remington xcr in an acis stock. I have put a swarovski 5.5x25x52 on top of it. I am looking for any information that would help....... Load work ups that have worked at these distances (i know each gun is diffent just using as a guidelines) bullets that are being used..... best ballistic chart....... How do I offset if my scope only has 48 inch elevation......... what else do I need to know. I have been shooting for along time,,,,,, just never over 500 yrds

Re: 300 winmag newbie 1000 yrd help pls

Look through the reloading section and I'm sure you'll find tons of info on loads. Get a kestrel and ballistics calculator of your choice and learn how to use them. Using someone else's come ups may or may not even get you on paper. If your scope only has 48 in of adjustment at what range is that? You may be looking for a new scope. I would suggest signing up for the online training here too. It's good for everyone even it's just to keep an eye out for our bad habits. I bet most people could learn something from it, I know I have. Also find the thread about getting started in long range shooting and read through that for a few days. That should answer alot of your questions, and give you a bunch more to think about. Good Luck

Your scope may be an issue. If you don't already have one a 20moa scope base would be a good start. If you're wanting to go to 1500yds or more, you'll need a lot of come up to get there.

Since we don't have any idea what elevation you're shooting from most of our data would be useless to you.

I'll give you an idea of what I'm shooting that may or may not help you.

I'm shooting a fairly light 300wm load. My brass lasts forever that way. I've seen guys here shooting as much as 78+gr with this load but, I decided I wanted my brass to last a long time and, I'm pretty happy with the accuracy node I'm at.... I should probably try to find the next higher node somewhere in the range of 75gr but have not.

win brass
208gr amax bullet kissing the lands OAL of 3.62
73.5gr of H1000
cci 250 primers

My come up at 1000yds at about 80 degrees and 1100ft elevation is about 26moa from a 100yd zero with a 26" 1:10 twist barrel. My 500yd come up is 9 moa from a 100yd zero.

Elevation and temperature make a LOT of difference at range for come ups in that the air density varies a LOT and so do your come ups.

More than likely going to need a canted base if you don't already have one. If you already have your set up ready to shoot- go out and get it "close to" zero @100 (or if 500 is the shortest you'll shoot it, zero at 500). Than find out how much up and down adjustment you have. Say you have 24 MOA up and 24 MOA down, I would be looking for a 15 MOA base. You want to get your scope close to the bottom (try to stay out of the very bottom 20% of adjustments if possible) for your shortest range zero to get the most range out of your scope.

The best ballistics chart is the one you make yourself for your load/gun. There are a bunch of free ones on line, use them as a guide for going out, but KEEP A DETAILED LOG BOOK OF EVERY SHOT(Sorry I know all caps is a no-no, but it's very important) and create your own drop charts.

Love my .300wm.
190gr matchking 72.5 gr of re 22 federal gm215m primers.
lapua brass ( You cant buy this brass anymore ).
Shot this load out to 1400 and had REAL good luck everytime.
still had some up with a Mark 4 leupold 8.5x25 and a 20moa farrel base. Ken Farrel is Great to work with if you need something different. Had a 60 moa base made by them for less than $300 to fit a remington for my .338lm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: old95b10</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #FF0000">lapua brass ( You cant buy this brass anymore ).</span></div></div>

Yes you can...

Bob L. Swagger,
If you know where I can get NEW lapua brass for my .300 win mag
PLEASE let me know as I have been looking for a year!!!!!!!
Mine is about shot out and have looked at everyone else and still want the lapua. I have some of every brand made and most aint worth a shit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prebanpaul</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have been shooting for along time,,,,,, just never over 500 yrds </div></div>

if you spent a decent amount of time at 500y , then you should just go at it. 1000y in calm conditions is allot like 500y in awful conditions. So I would just start shooting at 1000y right away. Analyze your groups and then figure out what you need to do from there. You might be more ready then you think

I think the most important thing you can have is a buddy beside you spotting your misses and giving accurate corrections. Also, there's no such thing as getting a hit on a 1 MOA target @ 1000 without great trigger control.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob L. Swagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: old95b10</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #FF0000">lapua brass ( You cant buy this brass anymore ).</span></div></div>

Yes you can... </div></div>

Really? If you know where we can get some, let us know!

Here's another data point for you:
208 AMAX, 76.3 gr H1000, CCI 250 primers, Federal Brass
In my 26" bbl at 80F, I'm getting 2944 fps
When I do my job, holding 0.5 MOA or better, after about 900 rounds through the bbl.

The 208 gr AMAX is a great long range bullet, .324 G-7, inexpensive and the loaded round still fits in an AICS mag (just!). One of the new 230 gr might not...

6.84 mil drop at 1,000 yds 13.42 mil at 1,500 yds
Supersonic to 1790 yds (25F, 25Hg, 75% RH)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob L. Swagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Mr. Swagger,would you please let us know where we can purchase some new Lapua .300 WM brass. My google-fu isn't working too well.

Thanks

Yeah last I knew Lapua quit making it. You may be able to find some new from a private individual but as far as commercially, well that might be pretty tough.

A friend has the same rifle you have, but in the original stock. He's had good luck with the Berger 210-gr VLD's Hunting flavor (the Target's weren't as accurate for him), and is now working up a load with the Berger 230-gr Hybrid OTM Match bullets. His rifle didn't shoot so well with factory Black Hills 190-gr SMK's

Good advice posted earlier about getting a friend to spot for you and call your hit's.

The RWS brass is just as good as the Lapua stuff, and it's available.

Good luck.

Why the YES YOU CAN crap and then drop out??????
I like to shoot my guns and do so as much as I can.
And I have some of the old brass and take good care of it.
But if you are gonna put stuff up why bother if you aint gonna tell us where we can find it? You are wasting my time. If you are SF or some other shit and uncle sam buy's your shit I still cant get it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob L. Swagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

And I was trying to be nice.
This guy (Mr. Swagger) has plenty of posts so he's not a newbie but he is sure being a designated hitter (DH) here. I say let's not loose sight of the original OP's posting objective and forget the DH.

All good.
I still love my .300wm but she is getting put up this year.
Gonna work on the .338 lm hard and see what I can do with it.
My load for range with the .300wm has done all or more than I have asked of it. Brass be damned and all those who speak of it!!!!

My three hun is about a .25MOA rifle on paper.

Give Hornady brass a try. Having very good luck with it.

Hornady brass, neck sized only
208 amax .005 off the lands
76.0 H1000
CCI magnum primer
2900fps

Seems easy on the brass so far, three firings in and still chambers like buttah.

It's the rifle I shoot comps with for no other reason than it's the most accurate long range stick I own.

--Fargo007

208 A-Max
80 grs. Retumbo
WCC brass
215 FGMM primer
COAL 3.62"

Load averaged 3,000 fps from my 700P .300 WM. It showed pressure but shot so damn well and hit so damn hard. I have also had great luck with the Mk248 mod 0 and Mk248 mod 1 rounds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fargo007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My three hun is about a .25MOA rifle on paper.

Give Hornady brass a try. Having very good luck with it.

Hornady brass, neck sized only
208 amax .005 off the lands
76.0 H1000
CCI magnum primer
2900fps

Seems easy on the brass so far, three firings in and still chambers like buttah.

It's the rifle I shoot comps with for no other reason than it's the most accurate long range stick I own.

--Fargo007 </div></div>

76 grs of H1000 appears to be an accuracy node for quite a few rifles with the 208-210 grain bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been running the new Hornady 225 BTHP and figuring a G7 BC of .352. It's a huge BC! The 208 is good, but the 225 hits even harder on steel. </div></div>

Agreed..I loaded with 78grains of H1000 at 3.6. winny brass CCIBR primers..its the best bullet ive ever shot in 300wm..your BC is exactly what i got too.

I load 76.5 grains of H1000 into a winchester case and top it off with a 208 grain AMax. It's proven to be a wonderful load so far.

As for ballistic applications, I have ballistic fte and shooter for my iphone. I prefer shooter and found the 1000 yard come ups to be dead on accurate.

FYI, from a 100 yard zero, I need 26 minutes of angle to get to 1000.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob L. Swagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: old95b10</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #FF0000">lapua brass ( You cant buy this brass anymore ).</span></div></div>

Where plz?

I think he is trying to insinuate that lapua never really made the brass in the first place and had another company who still makes it contract it out for them