• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

300 Yards

SmallBoreSnipers

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2009
Troy, NY
I'm not a very patient man haha. So even though I just shot from 200 yards, I went out to see what I could do at 300 (the max the range has). I fired 5 rounds and went to see the target. It was too dark to use my spotting scope. Plus I was using paper and not shoot n c. Shoot n c I will see no problem. I came back and adjusted the scope and fired 10 more rounds. When I went up to see the target I had a 5" group around dead center with one shot right in the bull's eye! I was very excited, as this was my first time at this distance. I am firing a Marlin 917vr .17hmr with Winchester V-Max 17 gr. ammo.

Re: 300 Yards

Good deal. Kinda addictive,huh? I thought the same thing the first time I shot my savage 93r17 out to 300. So now I'm constantly pushing it out to 350-360. My next goal is to find a place where I can shoot out to 400. And yes you definitely want Shoot-n-See targets. I even go as far as putting them on steal so you can also hear it.

Yes VERY addicting. I guess I'll be working on my skills there. Wish they went out to 500 yards haha. I was getting kinda nervous because I couldn't hear a sound. Where as at 200 yards I can hear it somewhat clearly. So I didn't think I was hitting anything. Walked up and was very pleased though. They have a steal gong out there at 300. I might peg that and see if I an hear it.

I can go out with accuracy(ish) to about 150yards but then it all goes horribly wrong. Can I ask what rifle and ammo you are using for 200+ yards?

I've got a CZ 452Ultra and am shooting Remington Target Eley .22lr. My scope is the Nikon Prostaff fixed 4x32.

If my objective is to get to the point where I can enter competitions and not embarrass myself, what would you suggest I do in regards to ammo and target drills?

Many thanks

I am firing a Marlin 917vr .17hmr with Winchester V-Max 17 gr. ammo. I've actually never used any different type of ammo. This was rated the best for this type of rifle on a couple different web sites I came across. It has always served me well though. At 75 yards I can keep rounds through a dime, but distance is what seems to have really bit me. If I can get down to 1 MOA at 300 I think that would be pretty sick. But then again, I guess hitting anything you aim at with a rimfire at 300 yards away is pretty sick too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmallBoreSnipers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes VERY addicting. I guess I'll be working on my skills there. Wish they went out to 500 yards haha. I was getting kinda nervous because I couldn't hear a sound. Where as at 200 yards I can hear it somewhat clearly. So I didn't think I was hitting anything. Walked up and was very pleased though. They have a steal gong out there at 300. I might peg that and see if I an hear it.</div></div>

kinda makes ya wonder why we spent all that time shooting centerfire.....well, almost

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can go out with accuracy(ish) to about 150yards but then it all goes horribly wrong. Can I ask what rifle and ammo you are using for 200+ yards?

I've got a CZ 452Ultra and am shooting Remington Target Eley .22lr. My scope is the Nikon Prostaff fixed 4x32.

If my objective is to get to the point where I can enter competitions and not embarrass myself, what would you suggest I do in regards to ammo and target drills?</div></div>

IMHO looks like your rifle and ammo are top notch, along with the quality optic (although perhaps a higher magnification can help out). it's tricky enough at 100, when you start getting out to 150, 200, and more, every little thing you do or don't do is going to be amplified significantly.

once you've nailed the 200, some drills i've found useful is shooting in bad weather, (rain, or wind, or both). the day of a comp, who knows what the weather will be, and they're not going to cancel it. this also builds confidence.

if you are fortunate enough to have some open field that lends itself to safe shooting, try using pizza boxes with targets on them (critters or bullseyes) and put them at varying distances. this will get your dope down for the comp.

go and get embarrassed.....it'll let you know where you have to improve and when you stop getting embarrassed, you know you HAVE improved. besides hopefully some other shooters on the line would give you pointers to keep you from looking pityfull the next time.... and if nobody does that's more motivation to practice and kick their buts the next time;)

as far as going past 150, the slightest bit of flaw in shooting form or error shows up BIG TIME. if you consider that shooting 22lr at 150 simulates a .308 at around 370 to 400 yards and 22lr at 200 simulates 500 to 530 yards, you know how much a flaw in form can effect a .308 at distance.

you relate that to the .22lr, just on a smaller scale.

Smallbore, congrats at 300.

The "horribly wrong" is because you are prolly using subsonic target style ammo. I cannot tell you the "why" but I can for sure tell you to shoot the high speed stuf at longrange. I am using the cheapie Federal 510 ala Wallyworld and have had great success with it. Lots vary of course but the high speed is the ticket. Gary

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmallBoreSnipers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes VERY addicting. I guess I'll be working on my skills there. Wish they went out to 500 yards haha. I was getting kinda nervous because I couldn't hear a sound. Where as at 200 yards I can hear it somewhat clearly. So I didn't think I was hitting anything. Walked up and was very pleased though. They have a steal gong out there at 300. I might peg that and see if I an hear it.</div></div>

kinda makes ya wonder why we spent all that time shooting centerfire.....well, almost

Smallbore, congrats at 300. </div></div>

Actually I traded in my Winchester semi .308 for a .22wmr, and then to the .17hmr. I think the .17hmr is my favorite caliber, but there's no doubt I'll end up with a .308 again. I've had my eye on this Savage 10fp they have here for months.

Oh also I forgot a huge thing. This was in the rain. Not a down pour or anything. But a light steady rain. I'm guessing because of this I had to correct elevation for slightly a little more drop?

Never tried 300 but I have shot 200 with my 10/22 and SK Rifle Match ammo. I was able to get 2" groups(10 shots). I think that a 5" group at 300 for the first time is not bad at all. Good job Smallboresniper.

^ Thanks Inline. 2" would ROCK. Like the name. What have you got anyway a Supra? Check out my other baby sometime www.12secondv6camaro.com LOTS of nitrous
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmallBoreSnipers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^ Thanks Inline. 2" would ROCK. Like the name. What have you got anyway a Supra? Check out my other baby sometime www.12secondv6camaro.com LOTS of nitrous
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Sorry its just a cummings diesel. Just ate another trans, last time I had it on the rollers it made 512hp/1056tq all under 3200rpms

33lch3r.jpg