• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

300PRC for PRS competition?

The Average Shooter

The Average Shooter
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2018
Virginia
Was wondering what the great opinions of snipers hide has on this cartridge for PRS. Started looking at this new round because it SEEMs to be a great workhorse. I would like to have a hunting rifle for elk and such that could preform competitively in PRS since I’m not really a just sit on a bench type of guy. I understand that follow up shots would be tougher than a 6.5 CM but could the 300PRC compete well in the PRS world?

The top of the heap isn’t even shooting a 6.5 much less a .30 much less a 30 short mag much less a 30 long magnum

great elk gun though

Edit* this isn’t to say you can’t go out there and do it with a 300 mag

Last edited:
Reactions: ddavis
I’m sure you could do it, but spotting hits/misses would be a challenge for sure. You could run about anything out there, it just depends on if you want to be competitive or not. If competing with just yourself and getting experience, I’d just run whatever you have. If it happens to or the prc, roll with it, just know guys with little 6’s are probably going to still tromp you just due to the recoil

Ignoring the side of trying to be competitive with the top shooters or "what the pros use", it's just not a good choice.

It's not going to be fun to shoot 100 rounds in a day in a faster paced setting.
You've got a good chance of breaking targets and some matches wont let you run that caliber for that reason.
Not ideal for barrel life, you could burn it up pretty quick if you were going to matches regularly.
You want to be able to run a 10 round mag, don't know if that's possible with PRC.

That being said, I've seen a buddy take a podium spot with a 300 win mag and heavy bullets. It was a custom built comp gun that he was prepping for an ELR match though.

This is a case of 'Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD...'

300PRC really excels at 1500+ yards, and very few PRS matches have any shots at that distance, much less enough of them to justify bringing a PRC.

technically doesnt the 300WM limit exclude the 300PRC anyways?

ELR matches yeah. normal PRS you'd have a bad time.

Per the rule book: "2.1.1 Bolt Gun Open Division rifles will not exceed a caliber of .30 or a velocity of 3,200 fps. A match DQ will result any rounds over the speed limit of 3,200 fps (+/- 32 fps for environmental factors and equipment discrepancies). "

Most matches simply state 300WM and down, but the actual PRS rules say nothing about 300WM. You'd have to check with the MD ahead of time to make sure they were OK with you running a PRC.

Also, I believe that the PRS did away with the ELR matches. There's still a few running, but as far as I know, none qualify for PRS points.

Reactions: b6graham
Disclaimer I am not a PRS shooter nor do I currently have a 300 PRC but that sounds like a horrible idea. Heavy ammo, heavy (comparatively) gun, longer/less maneuverable (long action gun), recoil shooting it for the day, recoil bouncing it all over on some of those supports especially the slick ones. No thanks.

Per the rule book: "2.1.1 Bolt Gun Open Division rifles will not exceed a caliber of .30 or a velocity of 3,200 fps. A match DQ will result any rounds over the speed limit of 3,200 fps (+/- 32 fps for environmental factors and equipment discrepancies). "

Most matches simply state 300WM and down, but the actual PRS rules say nothing about 300WM. You'd have to check with the MD ahead of time to make sure they were OK with you running a PRC.

Also, I believe that the PRS did away with the ELR matches. There's still a few running, but as far as I know, none qualify for PRS points.
still bunches of ELR matches though even if not PRS/NRL

the 30cal/3200fps is fair. i know i very often see 300WM which can be a range rule as well (3100 or 3150 isnt uncommon either)

i bet your 300PRC would be about mid pack weight wise which is funny