• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

.300WM to .338LM Chassis Modification Possible?

Boyydavid

Private
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2024
California
I’ve been trying to research to see if modifying a .300WM chassis to accept .338LM is possible?

I haven’t been able to find much and I’m very new to this topic so excuse if this sounds idiotic.

If I'm going to hand feed my rifle, then this wouldn’t pose a problem as long as using the correct bolt and barrel.
The main problem comes from mag feeding a 338 Lapua from a chassis that is originally for a 300WM.

From what I gathered and correct me on any information that I could’ve interpreted wrong:

300WM has a COAL of 3.34”
338 Lapua has a COAL of 3.681”

That equals to .341” too big of a round to mag feed a 338 Lapua into the chassis.

Is it possible to mill out the chassis slightly bigger, accept a slightly larger mag like a CIP length mag for 338 Lapua and for it to work?

In theory this sounds like it’ll work in my head, but then again I could be wrong. So I’m seeing if anyone has experience in this case to help answer some questions or if they’ve tried this and if it succeeded or failed.

I used the same chassis for 300 WM & 338 Lapua. Just get the MDT 338 mag 3.715" OR the MDT300 WM 3.715"
Change bolts and barrels done...make it a switch barrel.
I run my 300 WM at 3.7" with match bullets, so 230grs can get to 2965 fps, or 200 SMK at 3150 fps in 26" barrel.

Some chassis will take the 3.85" MDT mags, so check those out if running long match bullets.
Flawless change out, or change back, 300 to 338...or in my case 510 whisper, based off the 338 Lapua.
Same reciever, different barrel, different bolt, different mag....cartridges the same length 3.715" mags.

Attachments

• 20240206_164747.jpg
    20240206_164747.jpg
    580.8 KB · Views: 9
The standard length long AI mag is 3.715. You don't need CIP length mags for 338 lapua. Here is a regular length mag for 338L.

A lot of factory .338LM offerings are now too long OAL to fit in the older SAAMI length .338LM mags.

If he is reloading, he will be fine with the shorter mags.

He should also pay attention to what chamber he plans on running. If his barrel is going to have the original SAAMI chamber with shorter leade and he decides to go with a stock and mag for CIP then proceeds to shoot CIP length ammo, he could run into pressure problems pretty quick, could have issues chambering a round and could also have issues pulling the bullet from a loaded round if he attempted to unchamber a loaded round.

Reactions: supercorndogs
I'm not sure why you want to convert shit. Just get what you need for intended use...

I'm not sure why you want to convert shit. Just get what you need for intended use...
I’m going down a whole rabbit hole and figuring what I would rather do for current and future build. 😅

A lot of factory .338LM offerings are now too long OAL to fit in the older SAAMI length .338LM mags.

If he is reloading, he will be fine with the shorter mags.

He should also pay attention to what chamber he plans on running. If his barrel is going to have the original SAAMI chamber with shorter leade and he decides to go with a stock and mag for CIP then proceeds to shoot CIP length ammo, he could run into pressure problems pretty quick, could have issues chambering a round and could also have issues pulling the bullet from a loaded round if he attempted to unchamber a loaded round.
Thanks for the heads up, I will look into that while building!

I used the same chassis for 300 WM & 338 Lapua. Just get the MDT 338 mag 3.715" OR the MDT300 WM 3.715"
Change bolts and barrels done...make it a switch barrel.
I run my 300 WM at 3.7" with match bullets, so 230grs can get to 2965 fps, or 200 SMK at 3150 fps in 26" barrel.

Some chassis will take the 3.85" MDT mags, so check those out if running long match bullets.
Flawless change out, or change back, 300 to 338...or in my case 510 whisper, based off the 338 Lapua.
Same reciever, different barrel, different bolt, different mag....cartridges the same length 3.715" mags.
Thanks for the explanation, I’m new to the whole chassis system, this helped a lot

Reactions: 45-90