.308 @1200 yds

verdugo60

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 6, 2010
    Denver, CO
    This past weekend was out shooting with my Brother in Law at his decent steel range. It has steel from 300-1500 yards so I was pumped to take the 338 and 308 out. Had some mass-produced (Dillon 550, ball powder) 175 SMK rounds that I wanted to finish off. Ran the range from 300-1000 with him spotting to check my dope, all was good. Decided to get ambitious and go for the (estimated) 1200 yd one. First shot was about 1 MOA low from center. Came up 1 MOA and got a hit! Ended up getting about 3/4 of my shots on target on it out of 20 rounds @1200. Not bad for a fixed power Super Sniper and mass-produced "slow" rounds that were not hand thrown. They are only running about 2450 FPS, and went transonic around 1140 yards. Had never taken my 308 past 1000, so it was fun. It was a crowded Saturday so by the end we had 5 or 6 spectators just gawking. Seems their 100 yard targets with "head shots" and beer bottles weren't so neat after that. The old dude next to us just couldn't believe it until he watched me do it!

The 338 Edge has excellent glass and much better ballistics and got a second round hit at 1500. Love the new Super Sniper 5-20X HD I put on it. Cheaper than the Leupold TMR I DID have on it, with more come ups and it is MIL/MIL and illuminated. Hard to beat that. I think the glass is on par with my dad's Nightforce too. Can't say enough about the optic. This was my first turret/reticle setup that matches, and I am already looking for a MIL/MIL scope for my 308 and AR15. It is so freaking nice to be able to see your hit in MILS and make an adjustment in .1 MIL increments.

Re: .308 @1200 yds

Sounds like a good time. I think its funny when people say you need a fast slippery pill to shoot out past 1k. The truth is the 308 with the right load will do it pretty good. I know a few who can take them out a bit farther but you were getting close to the max depending on the air. I have a hard time trading 1/2 or even a lot more of my barrel life for a few hundred yards more. As far as the wind thats on the shooter. Spme peoples justification is the other calibers like the 243 can shoot inside the 308 and they can by a large margine but that is only compensating for shooter error. Now for a match rifle sure get all the help you can and run the heavy 6mm but for a fun gun there isnt anything much more fun to me than a slow 308 at distance
    grin.gif
    ! Keep pushing it out there and you will be amazed at what it can do.