• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

.308 Factory Rifle Perfection

The Crusader

Private
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2019
I am in search of the best precision 308 factory rifle. No custom builds. I am looking at Desert Tech SRS A2, AI AXMC, Barrett MRAD, Sako TRG M10 and Blaser Tactical 2/LRS2. I am open to other factory rifle suggestions or if you have an excellent rifle for sale.

I know that "best" is subjective but it seems to me that the factory packages just simply function better as an overall system than a custom build. I am really looking for dependability/robustness here as it seems all of these options are quite accurate. I tend to use my equipment hard and I have a very low tolerance for failure. I also tend to shoot quite a bit in very cold weather (under -10F) which tends to make otherwise reliable rifles quite unreliable in my experience.

I was not a fan of the quick interchangeable barrel systems for some time. Largely because of the claims that "it doesn't shift impact at all" which simply isn't true. The shift may be miniscule but it will shift the point of impact. What they probably should have said is that the shift is sufficiently small that it does not affect the operation of the system for its intended use. Blaser avoids this by allowing you to affix the optic to the barrel but then you need an optic for every barrel. In reality, this is not an issue at all for me as I will not be disassembling the rifle for storage or transport and if I disassemble the rifle I will have the opportunity to rezero. I appreciate the ability to replace a barrel without a gunsmith and to potentially change calibers. I have come around and I am only considering rifles for this purchase that have interchangeable barrels.

I prefer a folding stock. I know the Blaser does not have a folding stock but the straight-pull action has me captivated by the potential speed, however the lack of 10 round magazines and the fact that it is out of production are problems as well.

I have not shot all of these options so I am looking for the input of those who have. I know I can build a rifle for less money. This is what I want and please inputs on caliber. I know there are options with better ballistics than the 308.

I would potentially consider a stock chassis and custom barrel.

-- Onward, Christian Soldiers

Here you’re gonna get a lot of love for the AI. I dont disagree with that, it would be my pick without hesitation(though not the MC). While none of the choices you listed will hold you back, they’re all multicaliber systems, which you don’t need.

What are you going to do with it?

What will I do with it? If I had to focus on a discipline it would be more focused towards ELR shooting. Not really PRS competitions, I do some of that type of shooting but only recreationally for fun/tactical training. I don't have the time or availability to make it to organized events. I own my own range/land and shoot there mostly. I am setting up a course where I run/ruck between one to three miles with rifle and sidearm and engage various targets up to 800M. Fun exercise. So, I would be carrying it. And ammo. It wouldn't be just a benchrest rifle. Other than that I really just want to see how far you can actually shoot a .308. I would like to reach out to 1.84 miles with it.

I will probably get rid of some bolt action rifles and just buy this one premium bolt action rifle. Starting with a Savage 10BA Stealth 6.5CM never shot. A FN SPR A1 308 which I love that has a custom bedding and McMillan stock which has around 100 rounds through it and maybe some other things.

I had never really pushed distance beyond the available internal elevation of my optics until I bought a nice little Anschutz 22LR trainer rifle. I actually bought it for my son but after I got it I was surprised by the accuracy and wanted to see just how far I could get hits with a 22LR. I was pretty astonished actually. A $2,500 Anschutz 22LR and a $5,000 March Genesis. You could not have convinced me two years ago that I would be dropping money like that on a 22LR setup but it hooked me on ELR and now I want to see how far I can shoot everything.

I probably don't need the multi-caliber but I might shoot some other calibers just for fun.

Last edited:
Well it’s not on your list,but what about a Sako TRG-22?
No one has ever complained about their accuracy.
Sako does sell an eye wateringly expensive folding stock but fear not KRG does sell one also for a very reasonable price.

I am in search of the best precision 308 factory rifle. No custom builds. I am looking at Desert Tech SRS A2, AI AXMC, Barrett MRAD, Sako TRG M10 and Blaser Tactical 2/LRS2. I am open to other factory rifle suggestions or if you have an excellent rifle for sale.

I know that "best" is subjective but it seems to me that the factory packages just simply function better as an overall system than a custom build. I am really looking for dependability/robustness here as it seems all of these options are quite accurate. I tend to use my equipment hard and I have a very low tolerance for failure. I also tend to shoot quite a bit in very cold weather (under -10F) which tends to make otherwise reliable rifles quite unreliable in my experience.

I was not a fan of the quick interchangeable barrel systems for some time. Largely because of the claims that "it doesn't shift impact at all" which simply isn't true. The shift may be miniscule but it will shift the point of impact. What they probably should have said is that the shift is sufficiently small that it does not affect the operation of the system for its intended use. Blaser avoids this by allowing you to affix the optic to the barrel but then you need an optic for every barrel. In reality, this is not an issue at all for me as I will not be disassembling the rifle for storage or transport and if I disassemble the rifle I will have the opportunity to rezero. I appreciate the ability to replace a barrel without a gunsmith and to potentially change calibers. I have come around and I am only considering rifles for this purchase that have interchangeable barrels.

I prefer a folding stock. I know the Blaser does not have a folding stock but the straight-pull action has me captivated by the potential speed, however the lack of 10 round magazines and the fact that it is out of production are problems as well.

I have not shot all of these options so I am looking for the input of those who have. I know I can build a rifle for less money. This is what I want and please inputs on caliber. I know there are options with better ballistics than the 308.

I would potentially consider a stock chassis and custom barrel.

-- Onward, Christian Soldiers
I run with an AXMC 300 WinMag, 308 Win and 6.5 CM.

My other rifles have become closer queens.

I have no regrets with the AXMC.

Since weight will be an issue for you due to your intention to ruck this rifle, I would lean toward either the DTA or a TRG-22. Both are several pounds lighter that a AI, although the AI is also a top pick if you don't mind the weight.

I own both a TRG and a DTA. As previously mentioned, you can get a TRG with a folding stock, either Factory or through KRG. The DTA with a 22" barrel is even more compact that a traditional rifle with a folding stock. The balance is outstanding as well. All the rifles mentioned should be more than accurate enough for your needs.

Yes, I love a TRG-22. I love it even more in green.

But between the TRG and a DTA SRS A2 with a proof research carbon fiber barrel the DTA will be more compact and lighter.

I know that the AI is rather heavy but most strong things are. So if the weight is justified then it will just make me stronger. As they say, is it heavy?... or are you weak?

The thing that gives me reservations with the DTA is its lack of field operations in relation to the others, especially the AI rifles. Windy day with lots of fine dust, cold day with heavy snow... I just don't want to deal with failures.

That being said, I am looking for a new .416 Barrett rifle as well and the top contender for that is the DTA HTI. It would probably make sense to have a SRS and a HTI for the commonality. The bullpup design does offer some benefits for the smaller calibers but the design really starts to offer some advantages with regards to weight and dimensions when you step it up to the larger calibers.

You've listed several long action, multi-caliber rifles while only wanting 308. Looking at the AX308 and TRG-22/KRG SOTIC might be more thoughtful.

So, I have gone back and forth on the caliber question. The 308 is mainly for training. The larger caliber is for performance. In that line of thought it doesn't seem to make sense to go with 338 for performance as it is beaten by the larger 375CT and 416 Barret. But most of the larger caliber platforms aren't meant to be carried and the DTA HTI seems to shine there.

I do like the potential for modularity in the long action chassis. It seems to be easier for future sale as well.

1.84 miles with a 308? uhhh look at the recent KO2M from 1500 and beyond and see their hits, and they're using 375s 408s 416s (mayyybe a 338 massively improved)

They don't get to choose the conditions. Obviously, I would choose a morning with no wind and optimal conditions. King of 2 miles is a competition. I am just shooting the .308 for fun. The .308 would obviously get crushed by the .416. But then the .416 is crushed by real precision artillery. And precision artillery is crushed by guided missles. And so on.

Reactions: onethousandmeters
As someone who has used and continues to use a 308 in real world applications I will offer my personal opinion for what it’s worth. Given what you say you want to do with the rifle and the conditions that you will be shooting it:

AIAT or AX
Pros:
Proven combat system
Specifically designed for cold weather operations
Fantastic two stage trigger
Cons:
Heavy.... yes heavy, not me being weak ( I carried one for years, they are heavy)

DT SRS
Pros:
Military proven system ( multiple United Nation countries have contracts with DT)
Light weight
Compact
Allows for long action options in future if desired
Cons:
Ergonomics aren’t for everyone
6 round mags (I know they have a 10 rounder but damn it’s expensive

Either of these would get the job done for what your wanting. I have never used a TRG long term so I will let others weigh in on that rifle but I have never heard anything that would necessarily cross it off the list.

As for 1.84 miles.... I eagerly wait for your report back on this!

Honestly though, everything you want is probably best served by your FN SPR...

That FN SPR is great. I am always shocked by how accurate it is with the chrome lined barrel. For the money I don't think you can do better. I saw some screaming good deals a while back on the A3G, A5M. But I doubt they shoot better than my SPR. It just does not have a threaded barrel, or Tactical Box Magazine. It has a detachable magazine but might as well be a single shot for me because I never load the magazine. For these reasons I haven't shot it in years.

Reactions: onethousandmeters
Ha. I have one for you to buy.

Na I don't need any more rifles. To busy swapping barrels on my axmc which coincidentally, returns to zero everytime.

1.84 miles with a 308? Riiiighhht well in that case you will need a 50 moa rail I think and probably a 32"+ tube. Accuracy is not dependent on barrel length, velocity is.

Shoot a TRG22, AI AT/AXMC, and DT SRS and pick the one you like best. Sorted.

TRG
Rugged, Light, Great 2 stage, cheapest.

SRS
Rugged, Short, Good single stage, switch barrel.

AT
Rugged, switch barrel, Great 2 stage, accessories.

They’re honestly all a wash, you’ll have to get behind them or just pick the one you like the look of.

Na I don't need any more rifles. To busy swapping barrels on my axmc which coincidentally, returns to zero everytime.

1.84 miles with a 308? Riiiighhht well in that case you will need a 50 moa rail I think and probably a 32"+ tube. Accuracy is not dependent on barrel length, velocity is.

Velocity affects accuracy. Higher velocity equates to a lower flight time, less wind drift etc. At a short distance probably doesn't matter, at a long distance... You could also build a hotter load to shoot out of the shorter barrel to get the velocity up. All trade offs.

I should be able to get the required elevation with the March Genesis + holdover. Or Charlie Tarac if I need more.

The whole point is that it is extremely difficult. If it was easy it wouldn't be fun.

If I actually needed to hit something at that distance in realistic conditions, not cherry picking a day with ideal conditions, I would jump to 416, obviously. I agree that .308 at that distance is not practical and there are better options for that distance.

Barrel swapping, adjustable scope bases, et al. They introduce convenience and solve a problem but you must admit they add a level of complexity and variability. I agree that the benefits of swapping barrels vastly outweighs the costs which is why I am looking at systems with interchangeable barrels.

I like Just Macca's line of thinking.

I think I have all I need here. Thank you for your inputs. Time to buy. If you have one of these rifles (SRS, TRG, AI) and are looking to sell let me know.

And I missed out on a Hensoldt 3.5-26x56 H59 yesterday . So, if you have one of those rare scopes let me know.

i know its over but just one more thing..

i hate threads like this because you are choosing between "bests" but;

i have shot or owned all of the rifles on your list

i still have a trg42, dta covert v2, AXMC, and AXSA/308

if you are never going to larger/magnum calibers etc id say a AX308

the sako feel like the most "hunting/model 70" rifle of all three, if you can understand

the DTA is not in the same league as the others, fit and finish are not even close and the bolt feels like your dragging it through gravel in comparison, plus the mags are shit. i keep it mainly for the compactness and cool factor but i dont shoot it much.

BUUT if you are wiling to spend that kind of dollar and looking for 308 you might want to look at tac ops

i have a sierra and it just feels right

shoots lights out, better than the others. they are all more than accurate enough but if looking at groups at 100 yards, not your 1 mile shot there is a tiny differene. i only shoot factory ammo in 308, so that may not be a issue

The AI when you pick it up it feels like it has purpose and its not parts but a system

Tac ops gives you the same feeling, like its a system working together not just parts

those are my 2 choices

You are going to have to get a TARAC to shoot that far with a 308, I will always have a 308 but for 1K plus it is not ideal or even close to ideal. I second the TacOps they come up in the for sale section every now and then. It is not factory but they are sweeeeeeeeet.

Keep an eye on the for sale section here. You can find all three rifles reasonably priced. You missed a trg with a carbon fiber barrel.

I have a Aiax and desert tech and I shoot the desert tech a lot more. Can't seem to miss with that gun. But I'm hunting and in and out of vehicles all the time so the compactness makes a big difference.

Serious question... Why not use your FN SPR? You are stating you do not want a QC barrel. That leaves a good solid “traditional” action for you. FNs are fantastic actions, just send it off to be built to your specs.