• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

.308 Superformance

Hilbily89

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2011
Welcome,NC
Just got a new pound of superformance powder and was wondering if anyone has used it to reload for a .308. If you go to Hogdons web site they do not show the loading data for it but I know they use it for their factory ammunition. Hopefully someone has used it or has maybe pulled one to weigh the powder charge. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: .308 Superformance

Well, I've ask Hornady the same question about load data. The only load data they have for Hodgdon superformance is listed. Its not the same powder used in Hornady superformance ammo, every Hornady superformance ammo has its own special blend base off the superformance powder. So with that in mind, it may work with 308 win. however their is no safe load data for 308 win unless stated in from Hodgdon. Bummer deal....

My educated guess based on the special blend story is that you should probably stop somewhere between 50 and 25 fps less than the Hornady factory Superformance ammo drives *that* bullet from *your* rifle, using either the same roomy brass or something with the same internal volume.

i have wanted to buy a box of .308 superformance ammo and pull the bullet and weigh the powder. then try a reload using that number or maby a bit under and working up. i dont know if any of you have tried this before. if you have or if you try it let me know how it worked, id love to load superformance .308 rounds!

For anyone who hasn't read it yet all the other times I have posted it here:

<span style="font-weight: bold">THE SUPERFORMANCE POWDER BEING SOLD IS NOT THE SAME THAT IS IN THE 308 AMMO OR SOME OF THE OTHER LOADINGS. THEY HAVE ABOUT 8 BASE POWDERS THEY BLEND AT HORNADY FOR THE DIFFERENT FACTORY LOADS. THE PDF OUT FOR THE SUPERFORMANCE POWDER BEING SOLD BY HODGDON IS THE ONLY CALIBERS AND LOADS RECOMMENDED. YOU ARE WORKING AT YOUR OWN RISK USING IT ON OTHER CALIBERS.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For anyone who hasn't read it yet all the other times I have posted it here:

<span style="font-weight: bold">THE SUPERFORMANCE POWDER BEING SOLD IS NOT THE SAME THAT IS IN THE 308 AMMO OR SOME OF THE OTHER LOADINGS. THEY HAVE ABOUT 8 BASE POWDERS THEY BLEND AT HORNADY FOR THE DIFFERENT FACTORY LOADS. THE PDF OUT FOR THE SUPERFORMANCE POWDER BEING SOLD BY HODGDON IS THE ONLY CALIBERS AND LOADS RECOMMENDED. YOU ARE WORKING AT YOUR OWN RISK USING IT ON OTHER CALIBERS.</span> </div></div>

Some people just don't get it. To the OP, why don't you try using H50BMG or Bullseye powder while you're at it? They are also the wrong powder. There are about 200 powders on the market now, not all of them are going to work in 308.

I think Hodgdon should have called this powder "Notsuperformance" with all the confusion they have caused

Has anyone tried to replicate the powder blend used in the hornady 308 superformance cartridges?

I was extremely surprised by the velocity increase without pressure signs. It allows shorter barrels to push 168gr projectiles to 1k yards without going trans-sonic, even in lower ambient temperatures.

I think mixing powders without having a clue what you're doing is stupid and dangerous. There are at least 10 powders suitable for 308, try some of those.

I get 2800fps with Hornady ELD-M 168's from my 24" barrel.