• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors .308 Suppressor Recomendation?

Re: .308 Suppressor Recomendation?

Different suppressors are "best" at different tasks.

Please define "best" - lightest, quietest, cheapest, most durable, least POI shift, etc.

would you guys say that the shark is better than the sandstorm? have you heard them together? i think the sandstorm is a little but lighter?

i'm asking because i was about to buy a sandstorm, but have heard a lot of talk about the shark cans.

My Shark has been on three different rifles, there was no POI change, ChadTRG42 and CKA can both confirm, while Sharks are not inexspensive they are built well, offer interchangeable thread adapters, and 737Shark is a registered vendor here.

This is a common posted topic on the Hide. Your going to get alot of opinions, for alot of reasons. In the end you serve yourself best by listening to the various .308 cans out there, I did for a year and then made a choice. The vast majority of high end cans do a good job of it. There are alot of reasons to select one can over an another, prioritize your list and then set about making a lifetime+ purchase. When you really hear the makers side by side, it all distills out quickly, especially if you have good hearing, many start with "loss" already. I sampled cans with guys that stood right next to me and told me about one can being better or best and I already knew that they themselves had lost way too much of their own hearing to actually notice the frequency shifts or lack thereof. The good news is that the folks on the Hide take this topic pretty seriously, so a majority of the cans offered up to you will work well.

Lastly, go light materials (not aluminum) and plan for the can to handle up to .300 Winmag / 7mm Mag as it will provide flexibility.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1468839#Post1468839

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1318840#Post1318840

IMG_9905.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RayDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is another lightweight quiet very durable can
http://thunderbeastarms.com/30p-1.php

This can is built by shooters for shooters. It meters very well is light weight and very durable. I've got guys shooting them on 300 and 7mm ultras. The ones I have get a lot of 260 and 7WSM time.</div></div>

on 300RUM's??? wow, i have one, but i didn't think any of the cans we are talking about could take that kind of pressure.
it says 300 win mag on the site? will they warranty if you shoot it on a RUM?

Just to add another suppressor since this question is pretty common...I use a Gemtech HVT on my 308's and it works well with a little POI from off and on. But, it is always predictable - 1/2 up and 1/4 left.

Just my two cents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: delta9mda</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cyclone hands down. period. enjoy. </div></div>

ok the cyclone is 31oz, and the sandstorm is 13oz. that's not even in the same ballpark?

Be careful, a can weighing in at 13oz most likely means fully titanium and fully titanium has consequences in frequency shift and tonality, especially at less than 8". It is not only about weight. Buy it after you try is the most important rule in suppression.

The question "what is the best .308 can available" needs to be followed up with nothing other than more questions.

What length/profile barrel?
What kind of fire (single/semi/FA)?
POI shift acceptability at what distance and to what uniformity/repeatability?

I see no indication that the original author prioritized "light weight", in fact, I see no indication that the questioner prioritized anythign other than "best."

you're right, i got this thread confused with another.
i think the OP may have bailed on this thread, and now it's starting to look as i am high jacking it;)

i am looking for a TI can to save weight on a bolt gun. 24-26" barrel, heavy contour, do not want poi change when i shoot with out the can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lovdasnow</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RayDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is another lightweight quiet very durable can
http://thunderbeastarms.com/30p-1.php

This can is built by shooters for shooters. It meters very well is light weight and very durable. I've got guys shooting them on 300 and 7mm ultras. The ones I have get a lot of 260 and 7WSM time.</div></div>

on 300RUM's??? wow, i have one, but i didn't think any of the cans we are talking about could take that kind of pressure.
it says 300 win mag on the site? will they warranty if you shoot it on a RUM? </div></div>

They make awesome stuff. Shoot Raydog a PM he is one of the owners of Thunderbeast. He can answer your questions.

any weight you add to (especially) a longer barrel will absolutely cause poi shift. any can on any gun will. do not believe what sure fire says, any weight on any barrel will cause poi shift. did i say it enough?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: delta9mda</div><div class="ubbcode-body">any weight you add to (especially) a longer barrel will absolutely cause poi shift. any can on any gun will. do not believe what sure fire says, any weight on any barrel will cause poi shift. did i say it enough? </div></div>

No, you didn't say it enuf. Because people still will beleive the manufacturers websites, over the consistent observations and experiences of those of us who have seen its true.

A perfect can, weighing nothing, perfectly threaded and aligned, magnificently designed and constructed will cause POI shift. The reason is that such a can will in every instance change the relative velocity of the cartridge and, in most cases, this transtates to a 1-2% increase. That increase at range, will change POI. Parasitic baffle drag, poor expansion chamber location, change in barrel harmonics, increase in heat retention all wait in the wings to make this fact even more so in a poorly designed can.

The issue is not POI shift, it is the consistancy of that shift, the repeatability of that shift. In a good can, that is a known constant, a small constant, properly applied by the operator in the solution. Is minimizing poi shift a good thing, yes, but random minor poi shift can be worse than uniformity in a larger shift.

In the end, most all the cans discussed here are good quality, to find the very best require a constant poi shift and the sound frequency shift that equates to the best perceived suppression...and THAT is rarely found in a dB reading. Some give up 10 ounces for a much quieter can. Some add 6" for a better poi constants, some go as short as possible as their requirements are all within 50 feet and their movement is restricted. When somebody asks "what is the best .308 can?" the answer is, imo, "for what?"

Perfect for me was little POI impact, cost effective, small package, and lightweight. I purchased a Cyclone K and have been very happy with it. It shifted my POI straight down .3 mils, was purchased for $650, and about as light as a full titanium can. I'm very happy with it after 1000 rounds.