308 Transonic range

SniperGod

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2019
I have a Remington 700 308 5R with 11.25 twist.
I'm looking for a bullet that will Remain stable through the tranzonic zone.
Right now I'm using 175 SMK under 43.5 varget
I just Purchased Berger 175 0tm's and some 185 juggernauts. Can anyone point me to the best bullet for this?
Going for a mile then 2000yds.
Thanks

It seems you already have the 3 bullets that are best suited for this in a .308. I'm not so sure you will have great results shooting at the distances you mentioned with a .308 and any bullet but some have gone pretty long with a 208 gr AMAX.

It seems you already have the 3 bullets that are best suited for this in a .308. I'm not so sure you will have great results shooting at the distances you mentioned with a .308 and any bullet but some have gone pretty long with a 208 gr AMAX.

I've seen several video where people were get pretty good results.
But 308 is what I have. I have a 50 bmg but I can only shoot it to 500 yds due to destroying targets.
I'm looking for a good long range caliber that wont burn up barrels. I looking between 300wm and 6.5. Leaning towards 6.5 due to recoil and a Tikka t3x a1.

I ran my old target 308 to a mile with 3 hits out of 8 shots. Not a record by any standard but the data was spot on. 175 Lapua Scenars L with 8208 XBR Lapua brass and 210 primers. Velocity was 2715 out of a 24” 1-12 Shelin barrel. Rounds were loaded to mag length. Kestrel trued at 915 yards. From a 100 yard zero my dope was 31.5 mills. SMKs were my old stand by. But when doing load development for this shoot I decided to test another just for fun. Glad I did because my old load printed 1.75” 5 shot groups at 300. That’s more than accurate enough. But the Lapua did a solid 1”.

Based on his current twist rate, the only Flatline that will be stable in his barrel will be the 160gr mag feed bullet. Making some assumptions here on specs; assuming it is a 26" factory barrel and not knowing where the OP is shooting, I am using 1000' of elevation for rough numbers. At a top end neighborhood speed of 3100fps, the transition point will be at 1500 yards. I'm sure there is enough stability to get to a mile in this case. 2000 yards? The jury is still out on that one; all I can say is try and see.

Reactions: PAYDIRT
But 308 is what I have. I have a 50 bmg but I can only shoot it to 500 yds due to destroying targets.
I'm looking for a good long range caliber that wont burn up barrels. I looking between 300wm and 6.5. Leaning towards 6.5 due to recoil and a Tikka t3x a1.

I would caution you when watching videos and expecting the same level of success to translate into what you are doing. Shooting to a mile or beyond is a very humbling experience and by no means easy with any of the standard cartridges let alone one that is severely limited by case capacity and coal. Not saying it won't work, just trying to level off your expectations so you aren't disappointed.

You own a .50 but you're concerned that a 300 Win mag will have too much recoil? Is there information that I'm missing here?

You destroy targets past 500 yards with a .50 but don't when your under 500?

Last edited:
Reactions: stello1001
I would caution you when watching videos and expecting the same level of success to translate into what you are doing. Shooting to a mile or beyond is a very humbling experience and by no means easy with any of the standard cartridges let alone one that is severely limited by case capacity and coal. Not saying it won't work, just trying to level off your expectations so you aren't disappointed.

You own a .50 but you're concerned that a 300 Win mag will have too much recoil? Is there information that I'm missing here?

Ive never shot a 300wm so I can't compare. The 50 (AR50) I have has a huge muzzle break on it and while it does kick it's not as sharp if that makes sense.

Based on his current twist rate, the only Flatline that will be stable in his barrel will be the 160gr mag feed bullet. Making some assumptions here on specs; assuming it is a 26" factory barrel and not knowing where the OP is shooting, I am using 1000' of elevation for rough numbers. At a top end neighborhood speed of 3100fps, the transition point will be at 1500 yards. I'm sure there is enough stability to get to a mile in this case. 2000 yards? The jury is still out on that one; all I can say is try and see.

660 elevation
24" barrel

Ive never shot a 300wm so I can't compare. The 50 (AR50) I have has a huge muzzle break on it and while it does kick it's not as sharp if that makes sense.

Recoil is very subjective but if you run a 300 Win with a good brake it should have less felt recoil than your .308

Hi,

Now if only those 50s were the target destroyers the internet thinks they are the DOD would not have to spend millions of dollars a year on specialized 50 BMG ammunition to get that particular job done.....

Speed destroys targets faster (no pun intended) than mass does.....there is a reason the 5.7x28 eats armor better than a 45acp.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: nick338
At our monthly 2054 yard matches we had a shooter using a 308 with the 185 juggernaut bullets get a hit.
You need a scope and base combination that will allow you to aim at the gong without a wild hold.
He posts as Apollo on the various message boards and fired around 80 shots.
Most of our local ranges have banned the 50BMG or limit it to one target.

Hi,

Now if only those 50s were the target destroyers the internet thinks they are the DOD would not have to spend millions of dollars a year on specialized 50 BMG ammunition to get that particular job done.....

Speed destroys targets faster (no pun intended) than mass does.....there is a reason the 5.7x28 eats armor better than a 45acp.

Sincerely,
Theis

It may be due to most 50 ammo is steel core. I dont know if the AMax is but it does have an aluminum tip. That's the range rules I just follow them.

At our monthly 2054 yard matches we had a shooter using a 308 with the 185 juggernaut bullets get a hit.
You need a scope and base combination that will allow you to aim at the gong without a wild hold.
He posts as Apollo on the various message boards and fired around 80 shots.
Most of our local ranges have banned the 50BMG or limit it to one target.

I order a 60 moa rail by Nightforce and should be here today. I know this will be hard but I can't wait. I live for this ELR stuff.

Got it all put together 60 moa nightforce rail!

Attachments

• 20190207_195306.jpg
    20190207_195306.jpg
    548.6 KB · Views: 68
Did you order your 60 moa rail right from Nightforce?.... Last summer I search all over and even put up quite a few WTB Ads for a 60 moa Nightforce Rail and got replys... I thought I checked Nightforce Web Sites a few times and did not find where they still make one ... Thanks for any help ... Dave

Did you order your 60 moa rail right from Nightforce?.... Last summer I search all over and even put up quite a few WTB Ads for a 60 moa Nightforce Rail and got replys... I thought I checked Nightforce Web Sites a few times and did not find where they still make one ... Thanks for any help ... Dave

I got if from ebay there is one left jump on it.

I know Defense Solutions is doing a 70 moa mount made from one piece of 7075 T6. They look pretty good. A buddy has one on his 375 cheytac HTI and it gives him all 120 moa of adjustment in the rifle with a 100yd zero.

defensesolutionsllc.com

Frank