• Site Updates Coming Monday

We’re planning to start making changes bright and early on Monday so you might see the site down fir a bit, but no worries, we’ll make our changes and be back as soon as we can!

VIEW THREAD
  • Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 win Winchester Brass

Big Grizz

Private
Minuteman
May 3, 2020
So about a year or so ago, I was doing velocity loads on different bullets for 308 Winchester. I was using virgin Winchester 308 brass so finally about 90 pieces. I decided to clean them and prep them for another firing at the same time I had some IMI 308 ball cases, and there were approximately 100 round to do this which I cleaned at the same time.

The IMI military brass was great , the pockets were not crimped but it took some pressure with my RCBS primer tool to seat them. Unfortunately when priming the once fire 308 win cases the primers went in with very minimal resistance in all the cases.

Thinking about it some of the top end ladder loads might have been a little warm. but most of them were with AR COMP or Reloader 17. With the Re 17 it seems you just can’t fit enough powder in the case to over pressure them . After I go done I started thinking these will not work out well in my gas gun.

So these 80 cases will go to loads for my bolt loads. But this does not give me a warm fuzzy about this brass. I have another 150 or so of these. I’m thinking of reloading I should go to SRP either Peterson or Alpha munitions brass.

So about a year or so ago, I was doing velocity loads on different bullets for 308 Winchester. I was using virgin Winchester 308 brass so finally about 90 pieces. I decided to clean them and prep them for another firing at the same time I had some IMI 308 ball cases, and there were approximately 100 round to do this which I cleaned at the same time.

The IMI military brass was great , the pockets were not crimped but it took some pressure with my RCBS primer tool to seat them. Unfortunately when priming the once fire 308 win cases the primers went in with very minimal resistance in all the cases.

Thinking about it some of the top end ladder loads might have been a little warm. but most of them were with AR COMP or Reloader 17. With the Re 17 it seems you just can’t fit enough powder in the case to over pressure them . After I go done I started thinking these will not work out well in my gas gun.

So these 80 cases will go to loads for my bolt loads. But this does not give me a warm fuzzy about this brass. I have another 150 or so of these. I’m thinking of reloading I should go to SRP either Peterson or Alpha munitions brass.
Either one is really good brass. I like the Alpha brass over the Peterson brass, just because I found the Alpha brass to be more consistent with regards to case dimensions. But be aware that if you use CCI-400's in the Alpha brass, you likely will have some pierced primers due to the 400's thin cup's. Going to CCI-450's takes care of that issue.

Here's a comparason of some brass that I have you might find of interest:
SRP brass - Lapua - Peterson - Alpha.jpg

Reactions: Big Grizz
Thanks ! I already have a 2,000 to 3,000 , CCI 450, So going SRP not a problem. I already use nothing but 450’s in my 6.5 Grendel loads. I load them on the warm side and the 450’s are great. I also shoot 260 REM and I have Peterson brass for that one. Really like them. Just wish I knew these Winchesters cases had these primer pocket issues.

Reactions: straightshooter1
I don't know whether your primer pockets are actually a problem or not but Winchester produces what is known as a balloon head case which gives it more volume than other cases but that comes are the expense of case material. It's great brass for bolt guns but not so good for gas guns. It's lighter and won't take the beating as well as heavier military style cases.

Reactions: Big Grizz