338-300 Win Mag to 1 mile

thesheepdog

Minuteman
May 28, 2013
DFW
I finally got to complete the lifelong dream of shooting to a mile last weekend. Prior to this my longest shot has been 1200 yards with various platforms. While it was a lifelong dream, it was also an opportunity to test my 338-300 Win Mag to extreme distances. This is my custom chambering. It's essentially just a .300 Win necked up to .338-no fireforming, shoulder changes etc.

The rifle:

Rem 700 trued, m16 extractor
Bartlein MTU 1:9.3 twist, 28"
McCree chassis
Badger 40MOA base
Steiner T5xi 5-25x56
Griffin PHS 338 suppressor

The load:

Lake City .300 Win brass
Rem Mag Primer
72.5gr RL-26
Hornady 285gr AMAX
3.785 OAL
2660fps

The conditions were not too bad for rolling hills in Texas. The 24"x24" target at 1 mile was North about 30 degrees, and I had a 12mph South wind. Humidity 50%, Temp 65 deg, altitude 2000' ASL.

The first shot went 1 mil high over the berm and splashed right behind the target. I found that to be odd, so I immediately held 1 mil low in the reticle, fire again.SPLASH 0,5 mils to the left of the target. Before expending anymore rounds I decided to come back to 1100 yards to check my DOPE. I noticed my shots were still a mil high. So, I changed my 1 mile DOPE -1 mil, and engaged the 1 mile plate. My shots were dancing off the left edge, within a 12-14" area. I then made a slight adjustment to my windage, fired one more time and HIT!!!!!!!!!!!! The heavy 338 round hit the bottom left quadrant of the plate and sent the plate swinging. Talk about an exciting moment. I had 5 shots left and tried 2 more times without success.

One thing I learned is that just because you have a strong tail wind doesn't mean you won't have cross winds down range. Typically I am used to 90 degree crosswinds all the time, but this was a different range with different terrain.

Anyway,

just a little info on my cartridge and what I have been able to do with it.

Attachments

• photo48456.jpg
    photo48456.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 63
  • photo48457.jpg
    photo48457.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 61
  • photo48458.jpg
    photo48458.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 67
First congrats, the 1st time at a mile is always memorable! What motivated you to go with that particular chambering over say, a 338 lapua?

Last edited:
Fist congrats, the 1st time at a mile is always memorable! What motivated you to go with that particular chambering over say, a 338 lapua?

Appreciate it! The motivation was 1) a .338 that would work in a standard 700 action; 2) had easily acquired components (e.g. .300 Win brass is easy to find compared to 338 Edge); 3) had decent performance with 285gr and 300gr bullets (2500fps + for a 300gr).

It's no Lapua, but it does a darn good job for how easy it is to reload and find components.

I took the 338 out to a mile again today. Using 250gr HPBT's I was able to get a couple of hits at a mile. They were subsonic at this distance but they were splashing consistently within a 12 inche radius. The wind was killer at 17mph gusts. Tis why I had trouble getting hits repeatedly but alas, I still managed to get a couple steel IPSC's.

​​​​these 250's were doing 2750-2800 based off my DOPE. Not too shabby.

On another note the Bushnell Legend Tactical Spotting Scope is amazing and costs less than $500. Glass is as good as my Steiner scope.

Sorry if I shouldn't post this here...
How do you like your Griffin Armament 338PH for ELR? I have a bunch of their cans for rifle and pistol and really like them, and will be looking for a 338 can at some point to replace a SiCo Hybrid.

Sweet a$$ rifle and setup btw. pretty cool cartridge, thanks for sharing.

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited:
Sorry if I shouldn't post this here...
How do you like your Griffin Armament 338PH for ELR? I have a bunch of their cans for rifle and pistol and really like them, and will be looking for a 338 can at some point to replace a SiCo Hybrid.

Sweet a$$ rifle and setup btw. pretty cool cartridge, thanks for sharing.

Thanks,
Scott

Nah you're fine, man! To answer your question: I love my 338PHS. It's the second lightest can I own (2nd to my Griffin RECCE 5, 5.56) and incredibly quiet on my 338. Definitely hearing safe. The taper lock mounting system always returns to zero. I also have a SiCo Hybrid that I plan to put on something (308 Bolt or my 300 blk SBR)

Nah you're fine, man! To answer your question: I love my 338PHS. It's the second lightest can I own (2nd to my Griffin RECCE 5, 5.56) and incredibly quiet on my 338. Definitely hearing safe. The taper lock mounting system always returns to zero. I also have a SiCo Hybrid that I plan to put on something (308 Bolt or my 300 blk SBR)

I figured the GA 338PH would be a solid performer...

Thanks!
Scott