• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

.338 barrel length

ArtoR

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2024
Finland
Hello.

Question about .338 LM barrel length (maybe applicable to other .338's too):
I'm interested to know your experiences of long barrels.
Idea is to shoot 300gr VLD bullets way over 1000m. Is there any benefit to have longer barrel than 30 inches?
I know the twist rate needs to be faster or equal than 1:9.3". I understand that velocity should be around 3000fps (900m/s).

Who says 9.3 or faster for twist?

A 10 twist will fly the 300’s. I feel that’s on the ragged edge. I’ve run 9.5 twist with no issues and 300gr bullets.

3000fps… even in a 30” barrel is going to be a stretch. Pretty much guarantee you will be past max normal working pressure. Be safe with what you’re doing. You will be probably in the mid 2800fps range with max working pressure. Maybe 2900fps.

All of the AI barrels we make are 9.35 twist. That’s what they want. Most others we make are 9.5.

Unless you get into custom solid bullets… I don’t know why you would need faster on the twist.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Last edited:
I am willing to learn about other shooters' experiences and having purely technical approach. Nothing silly in that :)
How much benefit there would be with that 34" barrell?
Google search the below test done by rifle shooter site. Only goes to 30 inches but will give you a good idea of attainable velocity.

338 Lapua Magnum: Barrel Length Versus Muzzle Velocity (30-17 inches)​

Hello.

Question about .338 LM barrel length (maybe applicable to other .338's too):
I'm interested to know your experiences of long barrels.
Idea is to shoot 300gr VLD bullets way over 1000m. Is there any benefit to have longer barrel than 30 inches?
I know the twist rate needs to be faster or equal than 1:9.3". I understand that velocity should be around 3000fps (900m/s).
Get a 33XC if you’re looking for more horsepower

The practical tradeoffs of going over 30" are not worth it in my opinion. E.g. transporting the rifle, finding cases that fit, etc. 30" is already LONG, add a brake/can and things start getting ridiculous. A 30" Lapua will get you all the velocity you would ever need to well past 1000m. So would a 26" Lapua for that matter. If you want more velocity, I would move to a Lapua improved or XC as was mentioned.

Here is a 30" Lapua improved with a can. I would not want to go any longer. I had to buy a new safe just to fit this beast.

IMG_20191221_150241.jpg

IMG_20191221_150121.jpg

The practical tradeoffs of going over 30" are not worth it in my opinion. E.g. transporting the rifle, finding cases that fit, etc. 30" is already LONG, add a brake/can and things start getting ridiculous. A 30" Lapua will get you all the velocity you would ever need to well past 1000m. So would a 26" Lapua for that matter. If you want more velocity, I would move to a Lapua improved or XC as was mentioned.

Here is a 30" Lapua improved with a can. I would not want to go any longer. I had to buy a new safe just to fit this beast.

View attachment 8507929

View attachment 8507930
A new safe? What's wrong with under the pillow?

• Haha
Reactions: surgeon260

View attachment 8507929

View attachment 8507930

View attachment 8507929

View attachment 8507930
Thank you! Now we're getting to the point.
Yes I understand that carrying that long rifle is clumsy and not practical.
Still I wanted to consider that, plus a specially tall safe.

Br, Arto

How long should he go?

I know this would be getting silly, but 34”, perhaps?
Really depends on what your doing with the gun. I wouldn't go any shorter than 27" and not any longer than 32". You can do 34" but I don't see it getting you anything extra unless your running like a 338 Lapua Improved or something with more case capacity.

Also the longer the barrel... you do tend to see more fouling can occur. Not always but something to keep in mind.

Google search the below test done by rifle shooter site. Only goes to 30 inches but will give you a good idea of attainable velocity.

338 Lapua Magnum: Barrel Length Versus Muzzle Velocity (30-17 inches)​

For most cartridges a good rule of thumb for a loss or gain per inch is about 25fps.

There are a lot of variables..... type of powder, bullet type and actual bullet diameter vs bore and groove size, case capacity etc...

Reactions: oldrifleman
I vote for as long as you are willing to carry. 28" or something very close to that would be my minimum. A 300g bullet is going to need a slow powder get max velocity out of them. Slow powder needs lots of barrel volume to expand the gas.

I built a few 338 Edges which are fairly close to the same case volume. 28" was the shortest barrel I used, also the slowest. My favorite was a fluted #7 contour that was 32" long. Great velocity and a sweetheart to shoot.