338 build suggestions

tsonda

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2014
Central Texas
I know this has already been hashed out before I'm sure, tried to search for it couldn't find it.

I'm going to build a 338 of some sort. LM, Norma, or Edge not positive which one yet. (I'm not looking for this to turn into which caliber is better) I'm looking for suggestions on barrel profile (which will translate into weight) and barrel length, twist rate. I'm going to be using this for hunting so I don't want a MTU contour. But mainly I plan on ringing steel with it. I already have in my possession a TBAC 338 Ultra. Most shooting will be suppressed. 338 shooters what do you think? Thanks

I posted this in the bolt action section as well. I got to thinking this might be a better spot.

I'll start with the generic...looks like you are making a do all rifle. They never work out.
Now, 338lm look for a 1-9.3 twist shoots 250's as well as 300's.
a medium Palma will be the heaviest you want to go on a hunter (even that is too heavy), but you won't get many shots burning that much powder before it's too hot.
If you mainly ringing steel go with a MTu or heavy Palma 28-30 inches long, that brings out the true potential of these rounds.
Putting them in a 22-24" so you can walk it in to a hunting spot hambstrings them a little.

I went with a 30" McGowan Remage barrel in Sendero contour. Built it completely myself, 12.6lbs without bipod. Shoots. 3moa or better. Placed third in a 2000 yard competition against heavier and more expensive guns.

Attachments

• photo73080.jpg
    photo73080.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 31
What about a Proof Research carbon fiber wrapped barrel? You can get the needed diameter & stiffness for accuracy, without the weight of a stainless tactical barrel. And they dissipate heat well. Non? And I'm not sure what you're thnking in terms of stocks, but given that you plan to hunt with it, my vote's for one of the lighter Manners offerings. You can go 3lb with an adjustable CP, & under 2lbs for a fixed one.

Last edited:
this is the problem with making a duel use rifle, we go down the road of making it nice and light for hunting.
im not recoil shy at all, but a 338 banging steel for a day in the sun is not fun with a 13 lb rifle.
doable but not common.
when i was doing Fclass i was using a 300 wsm. i couldnt use anything above 190's because the recoil would beat me up too much, and i would drop more points even though a 210 would cut the wind better.

The more uses one tries to build a rifle to suit, the more one compromises on the achievement of those uses. The chances of a multi-purpose rifle fitting the bill 100% for each specific purpose is slim to none. We see this on a regular basis. If its 'good enough' then so be it, but most cases where one does this, the shooter often has second thoughts after having shot it. Will it function? Of course, but perhaps not to the expectation originally desired. There are solutions to this however, that won't break the bank (with respect to the overall cost of the build). A big thing to consider here is a switch barrel platform. This will allow you to have 'enough gun' for a couple of different rifle uses. In this case, the heavier, longer barrel for ringing steel at long range where rifle girth is both welcome and useful. A second barrel can be in a lighter configuration for hunting purposes. Of course, the components need to be such that the switch is easily achieved and one has to be comfortable switching out barrels. A little education and care makes this process easy. Now, if more than just the barrel has to be addressed in order to make such a project work, then it is worth looking at other avenues. If the stock/chassis as to be swapped in addition to the barrel, one is really not gaining anything financially here and might as well build two rifles. I doubt this to be the case here, but is worth mentioning.

this is the problem with making a duel use rifle, we go down the road of making it nice and light for hunting.
im not recoil shy at all, but a 338 banging steel for a day in the sun is not fun with a 13 lb rifle.
doable but not common.
when i was doing Fclass i was using a 300 wsm. i couldnt use anything above 190's because the recoil would beat me up too much, and i would drop more points even though a 210 would cut the wind better.

I shot 55 rounds in <4 hours in competition with my 12.6lb 338 Edge. Enough that the barrel never got to cool. The barrel wears a Heathen brake, which is excellent for reducing recoil to manageable levels while providing the shooter and spotter more protection than most brakes. But it does not reduce recoil to the level of an APA Fat Bastard. Wearing a T-shirt, I did have a black and blue shoulder my midway through the day. With a coat or a proper shoulder-mounter recoil pad, I would have had no issue shooting the rifle so much.

At ~$2 apiece even for reloads, 55 rounds in a day is pretty extreme use of a 338.

Sure a heavier rifle would be better, but I don't see an issue with my rifle is one is willing to wear a pad to protect the shoulder a bit. But adding a Proof barrel ect and bringing the weight to 11lbs or less....that seems to be a hunting ONLY rifle.

Thank you, sir. May I have another?

It does bear repeating that this was a lightweight 338 built for wilderness hunting, shot in a high volume match...and placed me on the podium regardless. A Fat Bastard brake and/or any type of recoil mad would have mitigated the issue. If it were not 80F any type of coat typically worn during hunting, I could have shot this all day.

My 300WM Sendero (no brake) is more punishing.

I'm gonna get a .338LM but my needs are different and I have an Elite Iron can and brake for it (though I may have to trade out that brake when I get the rifle, it was cut for a TRG42). Not sure on the weight for one of those, but price isn't bad, accuracy is great and the trigger is said to be one of the best. It doesn't look like a heavy rifle comparably and price isn't bad for what you get.

Changed my mind and am likely going with a McMillan after considering an AI; if I can get it for the price McMillan shows or for less then I will. The McMillan stocked rifle weighs quite a bit less than the same rifle in the AI chassis. I considered building one after deciding on one a little better than the TRG42, but after a lot reading around and research into it, I found the cost to be the same if not less and for a factory rifle. It's what I want too and actually one of the lighter rifles of it's type.

You could also consider the DTA SRS --lighter and shorter and you can not only change barrels but calibers too. And easily at that. You could even get the compact version which has what, a fluted 20 or 22"bbl.? Then you could get a longer high end barrel of your choice for other stuff. The compact version has limited rail space but it doesn't sound like you'll be needing a whole lot anyway. The single stage trigger in the DTA rifle isn't just great for a bullpup, it's actually one of the best, if not THE best single stage trigger I've used. Fully adj.

MRAD is similar in that you can change barrels and calibers. Can be had with a carbon fiber barrel too.

Then there's the Howa which looks like a lighter profile and also costs less and you have a lot of options regarding the build.

Any .338 is gonna be tough on a barrel but I suspect lighter barrels will suffer more than heavier profiles and fluting is probably a better way to reduce weight than reducing barrel profile IMO. A brake and/or a can is a must. A brake on a .338 is so violent without the can nobody will want to shoot within ten yards of you also. And a good bipod is a must, the LRA would be my first choice which is solid enough for the DTA .50BMG and peerless in construction and design.

Just some other options to consider. Good luck.

Why the 338? Why not a 300 Norma? You get the velocity and the bc when you get up in that 230grn bullets.

I had benchmark do a custom profile. 1.300 for 5" with a straight taper down to .750" at 24" the 5" shank was for a setback.

In shooting 300grn bergers in a 9.5" twist. 338 Norma is what I have.

Just 2 cents
Deano

Last edited:
I have a Barrett Mrad with a 338 24"proof barrel and it balances really nice. It still weighs 17 ish pounds. Thats with a gen 2 razor in a QD spuhr mount. I shot 260 Rem all summer and just switched back to the 338 LM for elk season here in WY. I got a good deal on the proof and its a sweet barrel. If I had to do it over again I'd buy the 26" heavy 338LM barrel just to add some more weight and velocity. I don't have a can. The MRAD is a sweet rifle and the folding stock is a plus when transporting/hunting. Its not the lightest hunting rifle!!! With a sling its manageable and all the different QD points its adjustable to carry a lot of different ways.

Check out the MRAD!!