.338 Lapua help

backcountryguide

Minuteman
Mar 20, 2014
Ely,Nevada
Guys i recently took the plunge on a Savage FCP after a lot of research on this site. I had the opportunity to run one of these a few days ago and fell head over heals for the caliber. I am a component reloader but have no experience with anything of this size. I ordered a full set of Redding's including the neck sizer, 100 pieces of Lapua brass, and I have a good bit of Retumbo. The only thing I dont have are some good high bc projectiles to to whoop up some pretty dang good ammo. I see conflicting post here on whether I should be running a 300gr Berger or try the Hornaday 285's to get a little more speed. I will use this rifle for extended range hunting beyond 1000 yards so terminal performance is a must for me. So I'm looking for some knowledge here guys any help is greatly appreciated. I want to be solid at 1500 by October.

I agree I've owned 2 lapuas and I'm having a lapua improved built. I run 250s in mine for hunting and I'm only gonna run 285s in my improved. I like the speed and unless you are target shooting past a mile the 285 amax is a killing machine

If you want to shoot beyond 1500 yards and you can handle recoil shoot the 300's if not shoot the 250's. The Lapua scenars or Bergers are great in both weights. I don't have any experience with the Hornady's so can't comment on them.

Thanks for all the help guys I actually got a few pm's on the subject and I greatly appreciate it. I have a seekins rail on the way for HS stock so I can run my atlas on it. Does anyone see a problem with this combo because I really need a good excuse to try out a LRA .

1st off backcountryguide good choice your gonna love the savage 338 lapua you just bought. I love mine. A couple of things think about cheekrest if you use a big main tube scope you will need to get you head up off the stock to get inline with the scope. I made one for mine. The next thing make sure you give it about a good 100 rounds break in to start seeing what the gun will really do acc. Wise.

Loads is use in mine 300 gr berger otm under 89.3 gr of retumbo seat them at 3.700 coal / 2.848 to ogive in lapua brass 215m primers. 2730 vel.

I use 300 gr smk same load as above seating is 3.690 coal / 2.940 ogive.

Both of those are very consistant not to hot loads easy on brass

I use a hot load that works really well for me that uses wc867 at 105.7 gr of powder and pushe the 300 grainers st 2990 fps primers will be a little flat but no psi signs and bolt lift smooth. I have to seat these on the lands and for the bergs that is 3.860 coal / 3.021 to ogive with the smk it is 3.770 coal / 3.019 to ogive. Start this load at 102.5 gr and work up if you can find wc867.

Thanks for all the help guys I actually got a few pm's on the subject and I greatly appreciate it. I have a seekins rail on the way for HS stock so I can run my atlas on it. Does anyone see a problem with this combo because I really need a good excuse to try out a LRA .

A problem with a Atlas? No, other than the fact that they may be a half a second slower to deploy than a Harris, I have never heard of anyone having a problem with a Atlas. I certainly never have had any problem with my Atlas. LRA's are also robustly built and they are much larger and cost twice as much. I really like all my bipods Harris, Atlas, and LRA. If I were a back country guide and I had to pick one for back country guiding and hunting, it might be the taller Harris. If I was only going to be shooting a easy walk from the Pickup or Gator, it might be the LRA.

Thanks you just smashed that excuse I was looking for. If it gets to far away from the truck I'm sure the atlas will be with it. I've ran them on everything for a long time but never this big of a beast. Didn't think I would have any trouble but it never hurts to ask.

I picked up the rig today and bought a box of 300gr Elite Hunting Bergers and one box of the Hornaday 285's. Im going to load a few of each and do a little barrel break in and see what happens. I will start at 89gr and work up to 91.5 and see if I get any pressure signs.

I have gone as high as 92.0 in fcp and it was warm flat primers and heavy lift with the 300 gr otm. Let me know how your testing goes. With the 285's i am going to test some of my own here pretty soon.

I have just purchased the same rifle and am following your thread with interest. I won't have mine for about 3 weeks and then I will do some stock work for the cheek riser first. A friend of mine has the HS stock and used the KMW loggerhead hardware to make an adjustable cheek rest. It works really well, so I'll probably go that route. This should be interesting as it's my first venture into the larger XLR calibers.

Edit: [MENTION=101420]backcountryguide[/MENTION], which seekins bipod rail fits on the HS stock? There are three different screw center dimensions and I want to make sure that I order the right one. Nevermind...apparently I missed the info on the Seekins site first time around. It's the 2" screw spacing for the HS Precision stock.

Last edited:
I was a little short on time yesterday so I loaded 10 rounds of the 300 grain Bergers with 90gr of Retumbo. Ran all ten over the chronograph at 100 yards. Everything was just inside an inch with an average speed of 2780. Ill work up to 92 grains and see what happens.

I have the same rifle I put in an xlr chassis and put an lra bipod. You will love the lra it makes for an extremely solid setup. But.... so is the atlas and you can almost buy 2 for the price of an lra.

As for loads I run rl33 and hornady 285gr bthp. Im getting 1/2 moa or a little better with 96.5gr in lapua brass and about 2825fps.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I've only shot the three hundred grain in mine and it shoots less than moa. I've shot groups withe the scenars, berger hybrids, and Sierra hpbt and had groups less than 1 inch out of all of them. Shot 10 shot group out of the sierras that I covered with a quarter

I found a good spot at 90.5 grains of Retumbo with the 300gr elite Berger. I only have 35 rounds down the tube and it took me a few to get settled in to the rifle. So far it is hovering rite at have moa and group size was still the same when I took it out to 230 yards. Ive been shooting prone with a rear bag for all the testing. I hoping the velocity will stabilize soon and I can load up 50 rounds in the fire formed Lapua brass and stretch it out past 1000 to verify my numbers. Chronoy is giving me 2785 but I suspect ill end up around 2800 when everthing is said and done.

Last edited:
I found a good spot at 90.5 grains of Retumbo with the 300gr elite Berger. I only have 35 rounds down the tube and it took me a few to get settled in to the rifle. So far it is hovering rite at have moa and group size was still the same when I took it out to 230 yards. Ive been shooting prone with a rear bag for all the testing. I hoping the velocity will stabilize soon and I can load up 50 rounds in the fire formed Lapua brass and stretch it out past 1000 to verify my numbers. Chronoy is giving me 2785 but I suspect ill end up around 2800 when everthing is said and done.

Does your FCP have a 26" barrel? If so, I would be very pleased with getting 2785 with the 300 Berger and only 90.5 of Retumbo. I run 92 grains of Retumbo under the 300 OTM and am getting a verified 2740 fps out of a 110BA.

I've got 110BA and I'm working with Lapua brass, Fed 215M, Hornaday 285's, and 93-94gr of Retumbo. Accuracy has been under 1/2 MOA and velocity between 2830 and 2870.....still trying to decide on the right load....seating .010 off the lands @ 3.709 COAL

I've got 110BA and I'm working with Lapua brass, Fed 215M, Hornaday 285's, and 93-94gr of Retumbo. Accuracy has been under 1/2 MOA and velocity between 2830 and 2870.....still trying to decide on the right load....seating .010 off the lands @ 3.709 COAL

I just started working with the 285 AMAX. 92 gr. of Retumbo is max in my gun.

So far I've used Berger 250's hybrid hunting--Hornady 285's target---Sierra 250's GK's and Boretech solids-----------all were good; less than 1MOA----Sierra and Berger were 1/2" to same hole out to 200. I've used H-1000 (good); IMR 7828 (good) Reloader 33 (good)-----H-1000 favors heavier bullets >1"; IMR 7828 was cutting same hole with 250 Sierra GK's.
Most bullets don't do well on larger game at extended distances---Generally speaking; observe your energy tables, stick to 1500 Lbs to 1800 Lbs / velocity / range for one hit kills from Elk down; (less as the game size decreases). Tough (larger) game are unpredictable and require being hit with the whole kitchen sink, to ensure they go down and stay down.
The Lapua does give a lot of additional distance to standard shooting practices (making it easy to spend lots money trying to shoot beyond sensibility---no offense intended)(I tried it too)-----for me---I'd stick to an established (reputation) 250 (hunting) bullet-------unless you're just shooting varmints. Good luck

So my chrono is a piece of shit but we already knew this.It looks like my FCP will fall in line with everybody else's. 90gr of Retumbo gives me 2725 and 90.5 will top out at 2750 with a Berger 300gr hybrid. I have not got it past 1000 but these drops line up until that point. Im kinda in limbo now if I should stick with these big ass Berger's or drop down to the 250's as suggested by other Hiders. The groups are staying inside half moa out to 1000 with the 300's so that is hard to abandon. But if I can get a 250 going 3000fps with Retumbo I would go that route. The low BC of the 250 is what is holding me back. I didnt get a .338 so I could hang with a Win Mag shooting a 230 hybrid.

Ive been thinking somewhat of the same with mine. Was thinking of putting a 30-32" barrel on it and possibly the AI route. Or just stepping up to a 375 cheytac.

That being said 285 with rl33 giving me 2825. I can get close to 2900 but extraction gets sticky. The berger 250 with a .6 something bc going past 3000 may be something I try to do.

Let us know if you try the 250s. Im interested. On a side note anyone using imr7828ssc? Sorry to hijack.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I may grab a box of the 250 OTM's to try out but Ive got a shit load of Retumbo and thats about it as far as a suitable powder. I do have a few pounds of 4831 but that seems way to fast although I know alot of you have tried it. As a side note anyone running this particular setup I had Murphy Precision cut me a 20 moa rail for mine and it is vastly superior to the piece of EGW alloy they come with.I run three medium height NF ultralight rings on mine for an extra bit if insurance.

At 7:30 this morning we arrived at a shooting location in the high Nevada desert. My brother lased a rock that mesured just under 1 moa at 1320 yards. After getting some environmentals from the Kestrel I plugged everything into Shooter and got into a comfortable prone position. After leveling the reticule and getting my breathing cycle in check I dialed up 36.5 moa and 1.25 right for the 5mph wind. Holding a hair below center on the target rock I focussed on my pull and landed a center hit. The load is 90gr of Retumbo under a 300gr Berger Elite hunting bullets with Fedral match primers. After the first hit I sent two more to the center of the rock to confirm it was not luck but good shot prep and and a focused trigger pull. While letting the rig cool we drove up to check the group and verify the rock size. Group was rite at 7 inches best we could measure with the rock being 11in tall and 9in wide. I have been a serious sceptic of the Savage since I picked it up but it would appear this one shoots. To land that first one cold bore was one of the better shots I've made and certainly a best at that yardage.

Last edited:
Backcountryguide, I've been following your pursuit in this thread as my FCP is setting at the FFL today awaiting my arrival to take it home. I just hope that mine shoots as well as yours does, though I have some work to do on it before it will see the light of day.

Thanks for the thread and the details as you work through your load development.

No problem lash I hope the rifle works out for you. I did very minimal barrel break in with my rig. After the first ten rounds I stripped what little copper was in the tube and followed up with some Boretec C4 carbon cleaner. I have 90 rounds down the tube now and have not stripped any copper from it and only use the C4 between shoots. I have 50 pieces of formed Lapua brass that I'm going to stick with until it gives up. Im going to stay with my current load as its been hammering for me. I also torqued the action screws to 55in pounds other than that its bone stock. I haven't had any problems with extraction or ejection with mine and it feeds flawlessly from the Accurate Mag.

DSC_0810_025.jpg
Couple big ugly Savage rifles and some big country

Cow elk season opens August 1rst and ive been scouting for a good spot to get a rip over 1000. Hopefully it all works out and we will have a good autopsy report on the 300gr Elite Berger's performance for you guys.