• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors .338 Magnum can build on Form 1

mscott

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2007
Central Ohio
Here goes. I figured for my first form 1 I might as well go for the gusto, so I build a can for my 7mmRM precision rifle. I haven't got it completely done yet, but figured I'd get a thread going. I can't do any of the fancy CAD drawings, so pics will have to do. I kinda had a plan, but really just ordered material and started cutting. I bought my lathe back in January and have learned to use it over this year, so feel free to comment on whatever. You aren't going to hurt my feelings. I ordered 1.75 OD 316 tubing with a .120 wall. It's obviously plenty heavy, but the plan is to turn it down in steps. I'll leave it .100 thick over the blast chamber, .090 in the middle, and .080 toward the end. Any thoughts on how much lighter I could go? End caps are threaded 1 9/16-20. I wanted it to work on the biggest rifle I'll likely ever own, so I made it for up to a .338 Lapua. End caps and baffles are 303 stainless and it's a direct thread 5/8-24 mount. The bore for baffles and end cap is .400 and it sounds very good on both my 7mmRM and AR15. There are 5 stepped cone baffles with a 3.5" blast chamber. Spacers are .049 stainless tubing. I'll get some more pics of all the internals laid out and the baffles as they are finished. I actually added more steps to the baffles than what you see here.

parts
canbuild1002.jpg

threading tubing 1 9/16-20
canbuild1001.jpg

baffles
canbuild1005.jpg

canbuild1006.jpg

test fit
canbuild1008.jpg

canbuild1007.jpg

Re: .338 Magnum can build on Form 1

interesting, and great work... couple ?'s, what was the overall time from start to finish on the lathe work, & did you buy your lathe used/new? BIG can by the way!!!

What was your finished weight on the can? Are you going to get it coated? I would use high heat cerakote, that is some amazingly tough stuff!

Are you going to weld the blast baffle and others in there or are you using some spacers to hold them in place?

Looks pretty solid so far, looking forward to see how this turns out.

Are you eventually going to weld it all up or leave it like the TigerShark as a thread-assembled suppressor?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">interesting, and great work... couple ?'s, what was the overall time from start to finish on the lathe work, & did you buy your lathe used/new? BIG can by the way!!!</div></div>
I didn't really keep track, but would guess 10-12 hours. The next one would certainly go quicker as I learn something new with each project. Lathe was bought used ..... it's a South Bend Heavy 10. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What was your finished weight on the can? Are you going to get it coated? I would use high heat cerakote, that is some amazingly tough stuff!

</div></div>
I'll post a finished weight when it's complete. I need to turn down the O.D., but it's probably heavier than most commercial cans. The way I understand it I can't do a lot of experimenting or repairs, so it's built to last! I'm not sure if I am going to coat it at all. It's stainless, so I'm thinking of blasting it to a matte finish and it will probably wear a TAB cover most of the time anyway. I'll look into the cerecote.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you going to weld the blast baffle and others in there or are you using some spacers to hold them in place?

Looks pretty solid so far, looking forward to see how this turns out.

Are you eventually going to weld it all up or leave it like the TigerShark as a thread-assembled suppressor?</div></div>
No plan to weld anything. I have a stick welder, but really see no problem leaving it as a threaded design. There are pieces of stainless tubing used as spacers for the baffles.

Very nice. I'm very interested to watch as your project progresses. I have been interested in giving this a try myself but space and time considerations right now just don't allow it.

Keep up the good work and please update regularly with progress pictures.

It's a tank, but still under 3#.I need to find a decent scale as mine is an old POS from one of the Mart stores that gives you a different weight 3 times in a row.
I just shot it and zeroed a couple of rifles with it on. I had to come up .9 mil on a 30" 7mm RM and up 1.5 min. on a 24" AR15. I'll get some feedback this weekend as to if it is a good job or not when I go to the steel match at Rayner's. There are typically 50 or so shooters there, so I should find out if it's cool or not.
I'll eventually get some pics of the internals, finished can, and such, but I've been pretty busy lately. Still undecided on the coating. I might try the DuraHeat or maybe just some BBQ grill paint. I'd like to get around a few other suppressors for a some sort of a video .... maybe the next trip to Thunder Valley someone will have a video camera.
Buying everything from Onlinemetals.com I have about $70 in materials.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a tank, but still under 3#. I just shot it and zeroed a couple of rifles with it on. I had to come up .9 mil on a 30" 7mm RM </div></div>

Sounds like it going to be about the same weight as my Titanium Shark can. Jaws weighs in at 38 ounces and requires me to add 0.7 mils on my 29.75" 338 barrel. Seems like the additional $1930 I have in the Jaws can may be a little hard to justify.

I'm one of the lucky ones and get to actually see it this weekend at Rayners. I'm REALLY looking forward to hearing it in action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a tank, but still under 3#. I just shot it and zeroed a couple of rifles with it on. I had to come up .9 mil on a 30" 7mm RM </div></div>

Sounds like it going to be about the same weight as my Titanium Shark can. Jaws weighs in at 38 ounces and requires me to add 0.7 mils on my 29.75" 338 barrel. Seems like the additional $1930 I have in the Jaws can may be a little hard to justify.

I'm one of the lucky ones and get to actually see it this weekend at Rayners. I'm REALLY looking forward to <span style="color: #FF0000">NOT </span> hearing it in action. </div></div>

Fixed that for you.
laugh.gif

Actually my zero needs to be add .8 with can, but with the new SS it has to be 7 or 9 since the caps and marks don't line up.

Well, we had the 'ole Pepsi challenge today. About 8 of us stood around while Mikes 7mm Rem Mag was shot with his homemade can and then my Shark Jaws. 1 shot his, 2 shots mine, 1 shot his and............................ you couldn't hear a difference. A meter may show one but, they SOUNDED the same to our ears.

For the cost difference, a handy guy can buy a good used lathe and tooling and crank out his own can that'll run right up there with "the best". There is no official weight yet but, I imagine it'll come in within 4 oz when all said and done.

We're going to try to make a video in the next couple of weeks with both cans shooting THE SAME AMMO out of our 260's and see how they compair.

Nice job Mike!

Thanks. I feel pretty goo about it now that a good comparasin was made with a top-of-the-line commercial can. Now I can say it is a good job. We also shot mine next to a .243 equipped with an AAC 762SD and while the sound was different it was not much of a difference in volume. Especially when you think about my 7mmRM burning nearly twice the powder of a .243. I definately prefer a muzzle brake for eliminating recoil so you can spot your own hits and misses, but shooting with a can IS pretty cool.

I think I'm going to try some BBQ grill paint for a coating since it easily available. I'll get it apart and clean up the internals for a few pics in a few days. I think I'll just stick the baffles in the case tumbler after wiping them off with a rag and see how it does. I'll also get a good weight on it since that seems to be a popular question.

O.K., time for an update. Went with BBQ grill paint since it was given to me for FREE .... can't beat that for a form 1 can
grin.gif
. Total weight ends up being 42.5 ounces, which isn't light, but should last for a lifetime of use. My rifle is 16.5#, so what's a little more weight?
canbuild2001.jpg

another view
canbuild2003.jpg

stacked up
canbuild2005.jpg

top view
canbuild2006.jpg

end cap tool
canbuild2007.jpg

How about a completed and assembled pic, on the rifle?

That's a heavy can for sure but I would be willing to bet it will out last MANY barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about a completed and assembled pic, on the rifle?

That's a heavy can for sure but I would be willing to bet it will out last MANY barrels. </div></div>

Here it is on my just-assembled .260. It sounds very good.

260003JPG.jpg

260001JPG.jpg

So cool. Wish I could do that. Best part is you can make new internals to test without new stamp not that it looks like you need too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Breeze260</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is one of the three video's comparing it to a high $ can
was taking with a cell phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XI3quar1gg

</div></div>

Thanks for posting that. I'm still trying to figure out how to edit the video I took.

Anyone want to guess which can is the Form 1 and which one costs $1,930 more? Both are being fired on .260s with the same ammo.

Here's the one with the video camera

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZtHUSuVntAY"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZtHUSuVntAY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike you good job </div></div>

Me Tonto. Like bread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike you good job </div></div>

Me Tonto. Like bread. </div></div>

The riddler's back!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smith44699</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice job on the can! love to see it at either thunder valley or rayners some day. </div></div>

Thanks. I'll be at Rayner's for the next 3 Sundays and Thunder Valley on the 22nd for the double HH. Feel free to introduce yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smith44699</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most defiantly. Are you shooting sniper match @ rayners? I shoot on sunday of the shoot. </div></div>

See you there. Hopefully I'll have something a little lighter by then
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bamawrx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So cool. Wish I could do that. Best part is you can make new internals to test without new stamp not that it looks like you need too. </div></div>

No you cant

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bamawrx</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>

No you cant </div></div>

Thats like saying you cant drive over the speed limit

You can your just not supposed to and as long as he destroys the old parts and doesnt go running his mouth about what he is doing who cares?

Personaly though it looks like a great desgine and seems to work great , i'd weld that bitch up and call it a day , its way "over built" so the chances of him wearing it out on a bolt gun is slim to none

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
i'd weld that bitch up and call it a day </div></div>

I really hadn't planned on welding this one. Any reason I should that I'mm missing?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
i'd weld that bitch up and call it a day </div></div>

I really hadn't planned on welding this one. Any reason I should that I'mm missing? </div></div>

Nope not at all , you could trim some weight by welding the end caps on because the tube can be thinner not needing room for threads
You could also eliminate the spacers by plug welding the barrels in place

All that is moot being it's on a heavy gun.
If it works leave it