338 RUM or Edge??

762 ULTRAMAGA

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2018
Idaho
Ok last 338 post..
I was considering a 33 Nos but lack of brass options has me going with either a 338 rum or edge

Looking to shoot a 265 ABLR around 2950 in a 26" barrel, I have an action cut for a 4" box so I can throat accordingly.
Im a big fan of H1000 and hope it'll get me there in a rum.
Anyone have an opinion on the rum vs the Edge?
I see both options are available from ADG

This rifle will be around 10 lbs scoped so I'm trying not to get too carried away with things.

Considering you already have an action and are going with a custom barrel and ADG brass likely anyhow, the only real advantage I can see with the 338 rum is possibly the availability of factory ammo. If that's not a concern, then the Edge seems like a sure thing

I don’t know much about the 338 RUM, but I am getting 2880 FPS from my 338 Edge with 300gr Bergers and a 30” barrel. That is using H1000, Norma 300 RUM brass, and Federal magnum primers.

My vote is for the Edge. And you can get Bertram brass for less than ADG if you want.

I decided to go 338 Norma mag, the clencher for me is lots of brass options and reports of awesome tunability.
Plus my action started off with a Lapua bolt, the manufacturer was cool enough to let me re-swap my standard bolt for the original Lapua.

A little off topic, but I ordered 100 pieces of Bertram brass for my 338 Edge, and they came today. Some other people, on other threads and other forums, have stated that they were a tad long. Their complaints included not being able to close the bolt on the new brass, and that the Bertram brass needed to have the shoulders bumped back.

That is not the case for me. The brass loaded fine in my chamber. So now I get to redo my load dev. as my old brass was 300 RUM Norma brass.

I'll vote for the RUM. I have one built by GA with a 28" long 9.3 twist benchmark barrel. Right now, my break in and practice load is a 300gr SMK at 2710fps using 8133. I'm over book speed with a book minimum charge based on the Hodgdon website. That load also matches or exceeds the Hodgdon 338 Lapua max load, so teh RUM can hang in there just fine. I use the ADG brass and I think I've got a lot more room to spare, but I won't go there until I get a few more rounds on the rifle. The RUM may give you a bit of seating depth leeway since its a tad shorter in the case, but with a 4" box, you won't have any issues either way. I seat at 3.70" and I'm right at the powder level with the base of the bullet. Both will do just about the same, so it ends up being personal preference.