338 Win mag stock rifle

williamhowell83

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2014
Niagara Wisconsin
I have a savage 338 win mag . But i never hear about well anything on the round . Read on lapua and norma mags . I was ganna invest in. A bull barrel I'm just shooting hornady 200 ss @ 100 yards it's a nail driver. I heard of a range with up to 300 yrd targets but i just want to know if i should order a different barrel and if i want to hit farther then 300 yards what twist and barrel length should i go with and should i start reloading myself and dose.anyone have any ideas on bullet grain and powder types and weights
Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

Hands down my favorite hunting cartridge for Alaska. Took a moose two years ago at 437 yards. On moose, I typically hit them more than once, and try to miss the shoulders if I can to save on meat. This guy got a nice triangle pattern of three 250gr accubonds into a pretty little baseball size pattern--not bod for a lighter barreled hunting rig shot off my walking stick.

I've played with that rifle and a couple others out to 700 yards with great success. Love the round for hunting, but admit I haven't played with it much for real extended ranges. Hope to later this summer as I stretch the legs on a new rig Jarod at APA built for me last fall. It was one of my factory Winchester M70's in 338, now a little more tricked out and wearing a #4 contour barrel--which I wish I had either fluted or gone with a #3, came out slightly heavier than I wanted.

I will also say I have yet to find a 338WM that shoots the 225gr bullets well. They have all loved the 250's, shooting much, much better. I'm not an expert and cannot say why, have just had quite a few of them, and presently have 4--none have shot within satisfaction in a number of different 225's.

Almost forgot, my rigs in 338wm are dedicated hunting rifles, so I like a slightly shorter barrel for up hear as it's all spot and stalk. 22-23" is my favorite for barrel length. Good mix of velocity and packability. For twist. The new APA build has a Bartlien 1/9.5 twist. Pretty sure my Remington Alaska Wilderness rifles is 1/10. The two other Winchesters--have to say I haven't a clue--but shoot 250's beautifully.

Last edited:
Hands down my favorite hunting cartridge for Alaska. Took a moose two years ago at 437 yards. On moose, I typically hit them more than once, and try to miss the shoulders if I can to save on meat. This guy got a nice triangle pattern of three 250gr accubonds into a pretty little baseball size pattern--not bod for a lighter barreled hunting rig shot off my walking stick.

I've played with that rifle and a couple others out to 700 yards with great success. Love the round for hunting, but admit I haven't played with it much for real extended ranges. Hope to later this summer as I stretch the legs on a new rig Jarod at APA built for me last fall. It was one of my factory Winchester M70's in 338, now a little more tricked out and wearing a #4 contour barrel--which I wish I had either fluted or gone with a #3, came out slightly heavier than I wanted.

I will also say I have yet to find a 338WM that shoots the 225gr bullets well. They have all loved the 250's, shooting much, much better. I'm not an expert and cannot say why, have just had quite a few of them, and presently have 4--none have shot within satisfaction in a number of different 225's.

Almost forgot, my rigs in 338wm are dedicated hunting rifles, so I like a slightly shorter barrel for up hear as it's all spot and stalk. 22-23" is my favorite for barrel length. Good mix of velocity and packability. For twist. The new APA build has a Bartlien 1/9.5 twist. Pretty sure my Remington Alaska Wilderness rifles is 1/10. The two other Winchesters--have to say I haven't a clue--but shoot 250's beautifully.

So the best round us the 250 what brand if u don't mind me asking

I like nosler partition and accubonds--the later providing better accuracy for me at long range and have performed well on moose, brown and black bears. The Gederal Premium factory ammo with partitions shot fine, but hand load, so previous load was a mix of federal and nosler brass, RL19 and Nosler 250 gr Accubonds. Plan to try H4831sc this year as it's said to be more temp stable.

If I were wanting to shoot factory ammo, I would give Nosler trophy a try, think they have a factory loading with 250 accubonds.

I like nosler partition and accubonds--the later providing better accuracy for me at long range and have performed well on moose, brown and black bears. The Gederal Premium factory ammo with partitions shot fine, but hand load, so previous load was a mix of federal and nosler brass, RL19 and Nosler 250 gr Accubonds. Plan to try H4831sc this year as it's said to be more temp stable.

If I were wanting to shoot factory ammo, I would give Nosler trophy a try, think they have a factory loading with 250 accubonds.

I live in northeastern Wisconsin and its hard to get any ammo right now but would u recommend starting to hand load

I love H1000, burn a lot of it in 300WM and 338Lap but have not tried it in the 338WM.

None of my hunting rifles have a break--but if I were going to use one as a range gun I shot a lot, a break is a great idea. I remember a few years back I shuffled scopes around and had one day where I needed to re-zero 3 different 338wm and a 375H&H. Recoil doesn't really bother me much, but by the end of that day it certainly wasn't pleasant.