33XC vs 37XC

bribri

Always Smooth
Minuteman
Supporter
  • Sep 21, 2009
    Nebraska
    Any thoughts would be appreciated. My experience with ELR has been with a 300 Norma and a 338 Lapua out to 2200 yards and I'm looking to stretch it further. I will be getting a barrel chambered for my AI AXMC in either 33XC or 37XC which will be single fed. Cost for components isn't really a deciding factor due to limited use. Most of my ELR shooting will be in central Nebraska in the sandhills which leads me to the 37XC which should have a larger splash signature for seeing misses in the tall grass and light soil.

I know these calibers aren't actually out in the wild yet, but I was wondering what some of you experienced ELR shooters thought. What would be the pros and cons of a 338 bullet/256 grains going 3350 fps vs a 375 bullet/364 grains going 3100 fps in field conditions?

As you may be aware, there is a “trend” that is catching on in the world of ELR. That is “Bigger is Better” when it comes to the Caliber/Size/Weight of the projectile.

Contrary to popular belief and what seems like common sense, BC numbers are not the only critical factor.

You hit the nail on the head with your comment on spotting impacts. If you can’t see where your impacts are at, you obviously can’t correct.

Paul Philips (and others) just went with a .416 at the latest King of the 2 Mile, and it wasn’t because they were just chasing BC as a deciding factor.

It is obviously a balancing act, with many factors, and you really need to take everything into account.

I'm not sure if it's true but I heard that the .338 cal will not be allowed to compete in the K2m competition next year. As mentioned, you have to spot your hits to make corrections which can be tough to do out past 2000 yards with a 338 cal bullet.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. My experience with ELR has been with a 300 Norma and a 338 Lapua out to 2200 yards and I'm looking to stretch it further. I will be getting a barrel chambered for my AI AXMC in either 33XC or 37XC which will be single fed. Cost for components isn't really a deciding factor due to limited use. Most of my ELR shooting will be in central Nebraska in the sandhills which leads me to the 37XC which should have a larger splash signature for seeing misses in the tall grass and light soil.

I know these calibers aren't actually out in the wild yet, but I was wondering what some of you experienced ELR shooters thought. What would be the pros and cons of a 338 bullet/256 grains going 3350 fps vs a 375 bullet/364 grains going 3100 fps in field conditions?
    Have you tried the 300 norma further than 2200?