• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

36 Yard 0

trump4guns

Private
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2021
WEst
I have seen the Vigilance elite video on how to 0 at 36 yard with an optic. My question is how in the hell do you 0 at 36 yards with Iron sights.. Even the 25 yard download target from VE is small. I have no idea how anyone could accurately adjust Iron sights to the target.

• Haha
Reactions: wade2big
1619650430863.png

Ok, in all seriousness though, if the issue you're trying to overcome is actually seeing the target through the irons then you may just need a more high contrast target like a black diamond or circle on a white sheet of paper. Lollipop the target on the front sight post and adjust the sights until your rounds are impact POA/POI at the base of the diamond or circle.

I saw that video a while back and messed around w/ the 36 yard zero. It works but i went back to a 50 yard. Couple different calibers, keep it the same. Long range rifles are a different story.

If you can't see well enough to zero at 36 yards then there is no advice that is going to help... a red circle on a white backdrop would probably be best. My eyes are decent and I'm a good shot w/ irons at 50 yards. Always been that way w/ an air rifle as a kid, then 22 and now bigger guns. Past 50 and my groups open up exponentially.

Ok, in all seriousness though, if the issue you're trying to overcome is actually seeing the target through the irons then you may just need a more high contrast target like a black diamond or circle on a white sheet of paper. Lollipop the target on the front sight post and adjust the sights until your rounds are impact POA/POI at the base of the diamond or ci

The things the internet comes up with... 🙄

Don't make it complicated.

Take a white 3x5 card, or cut a sheet of paper into four, and staple it on a cardboard backer. That should provide enough contrast and target size to be able to see.

If you only have 25 yards, zero at 25 yards and move on. If you can't do that then you aren't cable of shooting at 100, 200, or even 300 yards.

Reactions: Aftermath
I have seen the Vigilance elite video on how to 0 at 36 yard with an optic. My question is how in the hell do you 0 at 36 yards with Iron sights.. Even the 25 yard download target from VE is small. I have no idea how anyone could accurately adjust Iron sights to the target.

Even the most ASVAB challenged Marine was able to obtain a 36 meter BZO as a recruit on the rifle range...then again in the FMF (with Iron sights prior to 2009 ish). I don't know if you want to skyline yourself that badly by admiting defeat this quickly...we have had some real potatoes over the past 50+ years.

Seriously; just give it a try. You might surprise yourself by being able to do it. It may take a few cranks on the rear drum or front sight post, but it will work.

Reactions: loveha
I zereod with Irons and the ACOG when we got them at 36 yards. All we had was a regular sheet of paper, with tiny squares with instructions how to adjust. If a Marine can do it, anybody can. Unless you are one of those types that still manage to unq with a magnified optic. I can't help you.

lol, the article gives you a target for setting it at a 25 yard range, assuming most have access to one.
if you can't see the target at 25 yards, ouch.

36-yard-zero-target-explained--800x1035_grande.jpg

If I can remember correctly, in the corps we zeroed in at the 200" range the day before we started shooting.
It was our zero for 200 meters.
That was boot camp with our M14.
Yep, with irons.
I think it was a red 1/2" dot on a 5×7 card?
We shot for a group and our PRI then dialed the corrections for POI to our POA.

That was a lot of rounds ago!

Anyway , I shot expert from day 1.
Series High Shooter 237 out of a posable 250.

If I can remember correctly, in the corps we zeroed in at the 200" range the day before we started shooting.
It was our zero for 200 meters.
That was boot camp with our M14.
Yep, with irons.
I think it was a red 1/2" dot on a 5×7 card?
We shot for a group and our PRI then dialed the corrections for POI to our POA.

That was a lot of rounds ago!

Anyway , I shot expert from day 1.
Series High Shooter 237 out of a posable 250.
Yes. Where one learns to shoot (and from whom) can make a big difference in initial performance.

I "learned" how to shoot in the army. Unfortunately, TRADOC is set in its ways and cannot accommodate every learning style. The army's instruction methods don't work well for me for squat. Later, I got to pick the brains of SOF guys and was able to finally understand how to shoot properly.

Not sure what exactly is covered in the extra few weeks of marksmanship the Marines get, but if self-learning/teaching or one-on-one instruction is part of it, I may have done better.

Could be that the OP has an understanding gap from ineffective curriculum.

Reactions: GONE BAD
Interesting, first I've seen 36 yards. I've always seen 25 to 27 yards as a point blank zero for an AR. 6" point blank zero puts 275ish at the bottom of the end of the and 300 a little outside side the bottom. One of these days the Navy may catch up on small arms training. Problem is the COC thinks ships only fight at sea, minimal concern with in port attacks.