• Frank's Lesson's Contest

We want to see your skills! Post a video between now and November 1st showing what you've learned from Frank's lessons and 3 people will be selected to win a free shirt. Good luck everyone!

Create a channel Learn more
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

375 Cheytac rifles today? Or something else.

Sid Post

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 13, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma, USA
I am wondering about the new Sako TRG 62 and similar rifles in 375 Cheytac versus something potentially in the 338 class like the 338 Norma or that new Swiss round. I run a 300WM now so, my next option is something larger for >1,000 yards that won't kick like a mule every time I shoot it. I will likely also get a suppressor for it. The M200 Interdiction rifle never did much for me nor did a 50BMG rifle which can be had much cheaper.

Is 375 Cheytac viable in today's market? Specifically, is it an obsolete caliber that will be hard to support? Or, I am better off with a hot rod 338 option? I expect to handload my rounds so, factory ammo is only viable to harvest brass assuming it is cost-effective to do so. 338's are probably a lot easier to source or fireform from something more common in the commercial market so, that is a thought for something else in terms of caliber. In any case, I would like to stay supersonic to at least 1600 yards with an appropriate load.

For the base rifle, I'd like to stay in the $12K range. Optics and other stuff would be additional once the base rifle is chosen.

So, is the 375 Cheytac really viable today? Or should I be looking at 338 options based on Lapua or similar brass "base" cartridges? I don't want to end up with something obsolete like some of my African Safari rifles. I also don't want to have >$20 per round in what I am shooting. $10 to $15 would be much better.

TIA,
Sid

300WM will get you over 1k. Easier if you had a longer throated 300WM barrel and shoot the heavier and longer 215+gr projectiles. Heck, people shoot over 1k with 6.5cm. For reaching 1600yds, 230gr projectile going at about 2900fps will keep you supersonic til about 1800-1900yds.

375CT has a bunch of past success in ELR heavy, but people moving on to I think to the 416 calibers. ELR Heavy shooters will have to fact check that one.

Last edited:
375 Cheytac is great but cost prohibitive if you’re not doing stuff past a mile. Getting to a mile isn’t all that difficult with anything from a fast 6.5 to 338. If you’re not pushing your bullets to approx 2900 fps it gets tough with any caliber…. The real reason guys go with the larger calibers and bullets is that spotting misses is really tough with smaller projectiles

375CT has a bunch of past success in ELR heavy, but people moving on to I think to the 416 calibers. ELR Heavy shooters will have to fact check that one.

I know the 416 Barrett has been around a long time but, back when I looked at it, it seemed like a "Ban Beater" for those that couldn't get a 50BMG version. These days, things like the 375 Swiss P round seems promising.

Last edited:
300WM will get you over 1k. Easier if you had a longer throated 300WM barrel and shoot the heavier and longer 215+gr projectiles. Heck, people shoot over 1k with 6.5cm. For reaching 1600yds, 230gr projectile going at about 2900fps will keep you supersonic til about 1800-1900yds.

Thanks! A 300WM would be a lot cheaper and would still be a pretty good thumper. 6.5 calibers don't provide much 'splash' to spot wind and get on target but, might be viable for a general training rifle on the cheap, for ammo costs. I should note I have an old Weatherby 30-378 that really needs a new barrel and my 257 Weatherby is a pretty hot ticket for hunting to reasonable ranges and appropriate game along with my 308W/7.62x51 bolt action.

@Sid Post I've got a 37XC which doesn't have quite the powder capacity, but doesn't give up that much velocity and does so with a LM bolt face.

Before you get into anything in this class, you should consider a number of things:

- 338 has become mainstream - larger cased 375 has not. This means you have far fewer options available to you for everything you need to reload. Fewer dies, bullets, cases, etc.

- Everything is much more expensive for these larger calibers.

- Exceedingly few good lead core jacketed bullet options. Berger announced their 410 gr jacketed bullet, but it does not appear to have shipped - or if it has, my back orders were too far down the list to get filled. This means you're either shooting A Tips or solids. I'm not a fan of either for extended ranges.

- You may need a different press.

- No Lapua brass...

I just got my 37XC rebarreled. My first barrel I would consider only marginally effective, and very frustrating to shoot past about 2200 yards due to limited splash from solids. I'm giving the caliber this barrel life to get on track before I drop down to a 338 AI.