375 in a SRS?

Re: 375 in a SRS?

If anyone is pursuing a 375CT in the SRS chassis our official stance at Desert Tactical Arms is that 1.25" diameter you need to fit the SRS Chassis is below the minimum safety diameter that is recommended by barrel makers, if you decide to try it you will be doing so at your own risk.

Desert Tactical is coming out with a 375 Cheytac platform this fall according to the last timing I was informed about by Nick. Just do a search on it in the Beyond 1,000 Yards forum and you will get a ton of information on it. It is NOT a conversion of the existing SRS which handles only up to .338 Lapua Magnum. The new HTI models will handle up to 50 cal including the 375 and 408 Cheytac. regards, Dale.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bushmaster7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Desert Tactical is coming out with a 375 Cheytac platform this fall according to the last timing I was informed about by Nick. Just do a search on it in the Beyond 1,000 Yards forum and you will get a ton of information on it. It is NOT a conversion of the existing SRS which handles only up to .338 Lapua Magnum. The new HTI models will handle up to 50 cal including the 375 and 408 Cheytac. regards, Dale. </div></div>

Most of us know that. Someone mentioned that people were running a 375ct in the SRS chassis so we curious about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If anyone is pursuing a 375CT in the SRS chassis our official stance at Desert Tactical Arms is that 1.25" diameter you need to fit the SRS Chassis is below the minimum safety diameter that is recommended by barrel makers, if you decide to try it you will be doing so at your own risk. We had some prototype .375CT barrels that Lawton made for us to fit the SRS chassis that we were going to test but the machining quality was too poor so we promptly returned them. Call Bobby and see if he still have them lying around, it would be interesting to see how they do. </div></div>

Only a idiot would buy ANYTHING from Lawton Machine.

Nick, so this "Lawton Machine" is the only (known) source of 375CT barrels/conversion kits for the <span style="font-weight: bold">SRS</span> platform? (Also, as I understand one needs a barrel with extension, a bolt and a magazine in order to be able to use a new caliber. Did Lawton Machine provide all of those?)

Poison, what's that thing with Lawton? It seems that while his deliveries are sometimes (often?) behind the schedule, and his quality (sometimes?) is spotty - still many Hide members are buying his rifles ( e.g. in this thread)?

Dale, thanks - but as Poison pointed out, we already got that ton of information and then some. When we asked for <span style="font-weight: bold">SRS</span> (as this thread's subject says
wink.gif
) we <span style="font-weight: bold">really didn't</span> mean HTI - for which DTA already has a price list. Cheytac lists several rifles in 375 and 408 CT. And for those who got $4300 now burning hole in their pocket - here's an auction listing (but hurry - you've got only seven days!
grin.gif
).

Nick, I understand.

Not that I'm planning to put a 375 barrel on my SRS any time soon anyway. It would take me considerable time to properly master 338. Until then even thinking about 375 doesn't make sense. <span style="font-style: italic">Not to mention the small factor of money.
wink.gif
</span>

But it is always nice to be aware of what <span style="font-weight: bold">could</span> potentially be done - and what the risks/consequences are.

What a shame about Lawton, given that the late Barney Lawton pretty much wrote the book on making barrels for shooting ELR solids.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Biggest risk is it is unsafe to put the 375CT in the SRS that is why we made the HTI platform.
smile.gif
</div></div>
R

And as I said, I've a lot to learn on 338 yet (heck, there's quite a bit I can learn on 308
wink.gif
).

In the meanwhile HTI will get polished and refined - and who knows, perhaps in a few years there would be a discount for the old customers?
grin.gif

Like Nick says, it's a matter of safety. Any gunsmith that would fit a 375 CT to an SRS Platform would be compromising the integrity of the system. That would make them negligent. Go the HTI route. I know it is more $'s; but worth it.

Maybe. The first thing to consider for SRS conversions is: will it work with an existing SRS bolt? Only DTA makes these and currently they're available in .243, .308, 300WM, & .338LM. If so, then you just need to spin a barrel for it and install an SRS barrel extension and you're golden. Magazines are another story.

If it doesn't fit the bolt, then the question is can the bolt face be opened up a bit to support it? This is questionable and definitely one worth calling DTA about.