375 SnipeTac or Cheytac?

Fotis_Pap

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2018
Hi fellas. I am thinking of building another 375 Snipetac. I have 2 questions for you guys.

1. Cheytac or snipetac? What are the advantages if any really?
2. Who would you have it build it? Looking for good work but not willing to pay primadonna prices just because of a name.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reactions: JerryLee
I'm curious how so? No disrespect,just wondering.I only say this because I have a regular 375CT.The problem I find with the cartridge is the lack of suitable modern powders giving proper load density to achieve proper "efficiency".Even a max load of Retumbo (134 grains) behind a 350 Jamison is 1/4" below the shoulder.I'm assuming load density would be a worse problem on the improved case. Maybe I'm wrong?

I've had slight hangfires with R-25 which I feel is too fast of a powder for the 375CT and have had hangfires with some of the really slow 50 BMG powders.No problems with Retumbo,US-869(very temp sensitive),AA8700 which is no longer available.I think the 375CT case is already on the very edge of what a large rifle magnum primer will reliably ignite as is,let alone an improved version.

I enjoy wildcat and/or AI type cartridges myself.Of course the other cartridges are standard sized,6mmART40,30-375R,6x47L and others I've owned over the years.With them it's no problem finding the perfect powder and yes they are very efficient.

You must have copied and pasted an old post of mine but which words in this post are yours???

The action I had was a Lawton 8000, I think, part of the problem could have been firing pin protrusion and/or a light firing pin spring that caused the not too infrequent hang fires, I sold the rifle so I'll never know.

In hind sight I should have experimented with duplex loads which might have fixed the hangfires and poor load density problems???!!!

Too me using those old temp sensitive powders to try to make a cartridge work is a fubar way to go.

Interesting enough we have ran 100s of rounds down the barrel on a 375 Snipetac and never had a hang fire issue, our round had a low single digit ES numbers using Reloader 33 and Federal Large Rifle Magnum primers.

The only advantage to running a Snipetac over a standard 375 Cheytac is if a owner of a standard Cheytac has to hot rod the load to run at a certain fast speed and in turn age their brass, you can match the speed and not stress you Snipetac brass allowing for longer brass life.

Also the Snipetac really shot well with the 361 gr. Flat Line

IMG_2918.PNG

Interesting enough we have ran 100s of rounds down the barrel on a 375 Snipetac and never had a hang fire issue, our round had a low single digit ES numbers using Reloader 33 and Federal Large Rifle Magnum primers.

The only advantage to running a Snipetac over a standard 375 Cheytac is if a owner of a standard Cheytac has to hot rod the load to run at a certain fast speed and in turn age their brass, you can match the speed and not stress you Snipetac brass allowing for longer brass life.

Also the Snipetac really shot well with the 361 gr. Flat Line

View attachment 6887436

I agree with that! The other weekend we were running 400gr lazers at 3025fps, H50bmg comfortably and never had a hang fire or any other issue. Standard Cheytac chamber. Amazing what myths and rumors come from the internet..

I agree with that! The other weekend we were running 400gr lazers at 3025fps, H50bmg comfortably and never had a hang fire or any other issue. Standard Cheytac chamber. Amazing what myths and rumors come from the internet..

Well my friend who had the same 375CT rifle as I did had the same problems, so I assure that it was no rumor.

Being on this forum for 10 years I've seen other posts of 375CT's hang firing as well.

I gave explanations already in my post of what I thought the problem might be, right?!