.375CT 100yd groups vs 300yd groups

orkan

Primal Rights, Inc.
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Oct 27, 2008
    South Dakota, USA
    www.primalrights.com
    Those of you shooting .375CT, what kind of groups are you able to achieve at 100yds?

How about at 300-400yds?

Nothing I can do will produce better than 3/4MOA at 100yds, yet 1/4 MOA at 300yds-400yds is not difficult. Just yesterday I put down a 6" group of 5 at 975yds. I have my own ideas on why the groups at 100yds don't look very impressive, yet the farther groups are quite impressive... However, I would like to know what you guys think. I'm shooting Cutting Edge 352's.

If you don't have first-hand experience with 375CT, kindly avoid posting.

Ork,
    We see it every time we try to shoot short ranges. There is no way to judge the accuracy of these weapon systems at anything under 300. I prefer to test and zero my 375's and 408's at a minimum of 500 yards. True accuracy testing at 1000.

We have shot groups at 100 that were 2" We have shot the same rifle at 1000 5 minutes later that was 4-5" with the same ammo.

I won't get into the sleeping bullet debate with anyone, some people not only won't understand, but they are too ignorant to even learn it in the first place.

I would venture a guess that I have put more 375 bullets down range at ELR distances that the great majority of people out there. Not just shooting rocks, which is a riot, but actually shooting groups on steel and paper beyond 2000 yards.

To go a step further, when DTA/DTM shot at 3080 yards last winter, Nick shot a 24" group at 3080 yards. THAT AMMO, the day before shot 2.6" at 100 yards.

2 days after, that same ammo shot a 21" group at 2700, the max range for my scope to allow for a center hold when maxed out internally. My wife was spotting for me and I made a second round hit. Go figure.

These weapon systems and calibers are not made for 100 yard shooting, I know you know that, but the people who say it can't happen are just ignorant. Only way to do it is to put one of them behind the rifle and let them see for themselves. Let them shoot the 100 yard group, then you shoot the 1000 yard group. They will put their best foot forward to prove you wrong at 100, but by you shooting at the longer ranges, it doesn't allow them to throw shots at longer ranges to prove themselves right.

Russ @ DTM

Edited to add:

I have specifically loaded rounds to be ragged hole shooters at 100-200 yards. I was only able to do it with Cup-core bullets. Solids are a whole new animal. Thing is, who cares about shooting a round that's $7 each time you press the trigger at 100 yards? I don't pull mine out of truck for anything under 1000. Too many other toys for those ranges.

Last edited:
    Russ, Would you be willing to elaborate on what ballistics program you have been using and what BC you have been applying for the 350gr CE bullet? Are you using the G1, G7, or a custom drag profile? Thanks-anxiously awaiting my .375 conversion.

Well put Russ!

So true with some of the solids. It's a phenomenon which has to be experienced to believe. I spent hundreds of dollers in components trying to figure out why my 375CT wouldn't shoot less than a inch at 100y. Well the last group I shot with that rifle was a 5 inch three shot at 2050 yards.

While we're on the subject... just because a rifle groups good at 100 yards with regular bullets doesn't necessarily mean they'll shoot tight at distance.

Last edited:
    Russ, Would you be willing to elaborate on what ballistics program you have been using and what BC you have been applying for the 350gr CE bullet? Are you using the G1, G7, or a custom drag profile? Thanks-anxiously awaiting my .375 conversion.

Walt,
    Im running the Trimble Juno T41 touch screen with Field firing solutions for the real long stuff. It has been a great system and even out to 3080 was spot on. The advertised G1 for that bullet is .89 and has to be the first time that a company hasn't added a bit to it to make themselves look better. I have the G7, but my gear is at the office so I will have to get back to you on it. I'll edit the post with it.

Russ

Well put Russ!

So true with some of the solids. It's a phenomenon which has to be experienced to believe. I spent hundreds of dollers in components trying to figure out why my 375CT wouldn't shoot less than a inch at 100y. Well the last group I shot with that rifle was a 5 inch three shot at 2050 yards.

While were on the subject... just because a rifle groups good at 100 yards with regular bullets doesn't necessarily mean they'll shoot tight at distance.

I did the same thing Steve. Lots of money spent trying to figure out why it wouldn't work. 2" group at 100 was more often than not 2" at 400 as well. You're right, great groups at 100 doesn't necessarily mean anything at distance. Nothing is ever simple.

That got interesting.......

I'm with you I have seen in many times with the .375s & the 416 I have had & shot regularly, moa or slightly worse at 100-200 but sub moa way out there, very hard to get your head around.

My 375s have 7.25-8 exit twists, I can't say I've seen "the nose up, over stabilisation thing" except maybe the 414 GS at 2050 yards, still not sure why the BC was so poor for me ?

Yeah, there were really two separate discussions going on in that thread... yet the stubborn types had their heads down and could not see it.

I'm not sure I subscribe to the "over-stabilization" concept either. I've not witnessed a direct effect of it anyhow, though that is not to say it doesn't exist.

Still amazes me how forum moderators will let someone like that "cat" fellow be rude and offensive, while clearly lacking the experience to even know what is being talked about.