375CT - 390gr A-Tip vs 400gr CE Lazer

I never tried the 390 A-tip as I have a 36 in 1-7.5 barrel. I have shot a lot of 400 CE's with great success. I have made hits out past 3900 yards. The 400 CE transition very well. I am using N570 131.5 gr getting 3060 FPS. I have easy bolt lift and the Peterson Brass is on it's 6th firing with no sign of casehead separation.
What is the twist rate on your barrel??

I've got a 1-7 5R Bartlein that will finish around 32". I have figured the 400gr Lazers are the de facto plan since they are so highly regarded, but the A-Tips have me wondering if they'd be appropriate.

Yes not sure if they will hold together unless you want to drop the speed down to 2800 ish. The guys I have seen shooting A-Tips are running a 1-9 to 1-10 twist. Now Berger claims their New lead core bullet will take a fast twist barrel but I have not seen them in yet.

Reactions: Taylorbok
This makes sense. I checked the Hornady site, and noticed that they recommend 1:11 for the 390s.
I shoot them from a 1:9 no problems but I'm shooting a smaller case, about 2900 fps. I've got some buddies Shooting them out a 1:7 from an Enabelr and they blow up pretty often. I think they are switching to the Lasers

1:8 is the absolute fastest twist for a 390gr A-Tip unfortunately. They are extremely easy to load vs any solid I've used in the past in my experience. A huge benefit is the ability to see splash on the plate and make corrections as needed at distances where a solid hit is not visible. We spend 5 minutes and do weight sort them by tenth a grain however. It's typically a .8 grain spread. I don't know if this has any actual affect down range but it makes me feel good haha. Something tells me the lightest bullet in the batch next to the heaviest would fly differently. We've finished 1st,2nd, 1st, 1st, and 2nd between Jaclyn and I this season using them so they definitely work well.

1:8 is the absolute fastest twist for a 390gr A-Tip unfortunately. They are extremely easy to load vs any solid I've used in the past in my experience. A huge benefit is the ability to see splash on the plate and make corrections as needed at distances where a solid hit is not visible. We spend 5 minutes and do weight sort them by tenth a grain however. It's typically a .8 grain spread. I don't know if this has any actual affect down range but it makes me feel good haha. Something tells me the lightest bullet in the batch next to the heaviest would fly differently. We've finished 1st,2nd, 1st, 1st, and 2nd between Jaclyn and I this season using them so they definitely work well.

Sounds like they'll be an option on my next barrel, but it's the Lazers for now.

Reactions: Taylorbok