375CT action Help

Jaeger898

Minuteman
Sep 30, 2011
Colorado
Im begining the research and parts purchasing for a new build in 375CT. The rifle stock will be a Mcmillan A4 and the barrel is a Krieger #18 heavey varmit contour. My question to the hide is which action do I go with. Im leaning toward the Lawton 8000 but I have used BAT actions on other builds and they make a nice peice. I do not know anything about Stiller except the price looks like its on par with the others. Any suggestion or advise. Thank you in advance

Re: 375CT action Help

If you are doing a new build I would go with Stiller. I would only use a Lawton if you came across one that someone had or if it was on a completed build. I wouldn't order anything from Lawton. If you do a search on this site you will find many unhappy prior Lawton customers. Myself included.

GR

Can't speak directly about the Lawton thing but, I've heard it repeated over and over here. I'd stay away based on the information I've heard here. When I started looking at actions, I called and wrote them email and never heard anything from them back.... As you can imagine, I have a Stiller repeater on my rifle after finding a thread here where folks had given them money and waited a year and never got an action etc. etc. etc.

I'd stay away.. there are a few others that make 408 actions. I picked Stiller TAC 408 action and, it's a great action.

I think folks were saying that the gentleman that started Lawton died but, his heirs were still running the place if memory serves... and the place hasn't been the same since.

My only interaction with them is that I never got a response from them on some questions I sent them about their actions.

I imagine you've already done some research on barrels... I'd shoot for about a 1:10 twist if I were you. You can shoot all the way out to about a 375gr solid with that twist rate. You'd really limit yourself with a 1:11.5 like on many rifles. I'd much rather overspin a bullet than underspin one.

Hopefully others will see this and post more sources for good projectiles but, this is what I've found so far. I'm not going to start a shit storm and try to sell any one of these over the other. I'm still learning what my rifle likes.

I know you'll do your own research and may have already but, hope this helps somebody and, maybe others will post more resources for projectiles... there are already good ones listed below. I currently have some of the predators ( Steve seems great to talk to on the phone ) and have some of the lehigh boreriders that I'm working with.

http://www.dynamicresearchllc.com/3.html

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MTH_L10

http://lehighbullets.com/products.asp?cat=30

http://www.rmbullets.com/page7.html

http://www.hookertactical.com/1Fil/1_Price_Retail_Bullet_Military-Rev7.htm

Jaeger898:

Lawton is not an option if you are looking for "factory new" as they are out of business. As noted, you may still be able to find one - pros and cons aside as to whether you'll want to purchase it.

Other options are listed ELR Resources - Rifle Components: Actions/Receivers (look for the blue 2). I count 8 in total, 5 repeaters and 3 single shot.

Thank you ,to all that replied... Looks like I have a little more homework to do.. I did speak to Russ today at stiller and he told me he would have a few out by June/July. Russ also told me to speak with Bruce Baer for the cheytac bottom metal if I decide to go with a repeater....

JWOOLF I need to send you a pm reguarding case neck measurements for the purchase of the reamer . Maybe you can shed a little light on that subject . The rifle isn't going to be just a bench rifle

Thank you all again for the advise. If anyone has any more advise I can use , I'll take it. This will be a adventure by the time its done....

Jaeger898

The PTG reamer drawing is on page 4 of this set (use View/Rotate View/Counterclockwise to make your reading easier) - http://elr-resources.com/PTG%20Reamer%20Drawings%2010132011%20-%20338%20SnipeTac-5.pdf [NOTE: Since many reamer drawings have been tailored to specific needs, suggest you contact Dave Kiff at PTG: 1+ (541) 826-5808]

Best of luck.

BTW - new things coming from the new CT within a few months.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jaeger898</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you ,to all that replied... Looks like I have a little more homework to do.. I did speak to Russ today at stiller and he told me he would have a few out by June/July. Russ also told me to speak with Bruce Baer for the cheytac bottom metal if I decide to go with a repeater....

JWOOLF I need to send you a pm reguarding case neck measurements for the purchase of the reamer . Maybe you can shed a little light on that subject . The rifle isn't going to be just a bench rifle

Thank you all again for the advise. If anyone has any more advise I can use , I'll take it. This will be a adventure by the time its done.... </div></div>

Get an action in the group buy.

I recently (as in this week) picked up the Baer bottom metal. It looks well constructed. I think I'll like it, but the mags are huge. I wish it were a 5-shot or even 4 so that it wouldn't hang down so much.

Also, you mention above that you're looking at an A4. I'd check on that with McMillan. An A5 may be your only choice.

No they dont and wont for now .Steve the owner of Barnard and I shoot togeather and I am often pestering him about things like Mag feeds.I have two actions from Barnard and for Prone shooting I need no other , they are fantastic!

Honestly, if you have a 375, you probably don't need it to mag feed. You're not going to shoot it in a tactical match since I doubt anybody would let you shoot their steel with it and, you're not likely to take one on a dangerous game hunt unless you have one specially made for that purpose. ( which is possible I suppose )

All that being, I have the Stiller TAC 408 repeater action on my 375CT. The mags are just long enough for the boreriders to reach the lands and still mag feed in my rifle... OAL is 4.435 but, I'm not kissing the lands with that length... I'm about 10 off at that length.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ELR Researcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jaeger898

The PTG reamer drawing is on page 4 of this set (use View/Rotate View/Counterclockwise to make your reading easier) - http://elr-resources.com/PTG%20Reamer%20Drawings%2010132011%20-%20338%20SnipeTac-5.pdf [NOTE: Since many reamer drawings have been tailored to specific needs, suggest you contact Dave Kiff at PTG: 1+ (541) 826-5808]

Best of luck.

BTW - new things coming from the new CT within a few months. </div></div>

Great link, thanks for that.

Here's mine next to my 300wm... it's a crappy pic taken with an old iphone...

Stiller TAC 408 repeater
Brux 30" 1:10 twist
RWS brake
Jewell trigger
34moa base
PDC chassis
NF NSX 5.5-22

cheytac.jpg

Think I'm about to invest in a sn-9 USO scope and put the NSX back on the 300wm and put the little viper pst that I moved on to it onto my old supermatch below.

IMG_2218.jpg

I'm sure you've already seen loaded rounds but, here's a 330gr borerider next to an M118 7.62 round.

375ct_bullet.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rocky Mountain</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An XLR stock and bat action would still be my pick but the stiller arent to bad either </div></div>

Doing it over again, I might go with that chassis too.

I have a Lawton and Stiller and like them both. Defiance is coming out with a new Chey-Tac action and their action is one of my favorite actions by far. BAT always build good actions so you can not go wrong there. I have yet to see a Barker action but John is a great guy and if is actions are anything like the early Lawton's, you will be good to go.

-Kyle ~ XLR

Lawton 8000~ 375 CT
bbipods045_crop.jpg