• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

38mm Howitzer model project

Keith Johns

Phoenix Custom Rifles
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
I always wanted to build a model of a Howitzer so I gave it a go…

IMG_9625.jpeg
IMG_9627.jpeg
IMG_9628.jpeg

Above piece is 303stainless

Below is .500” walled 2.5” OD DOM
IMG_9629.jpeg
IMG_9632.jpeg

Last edited:
Gave it a 90 degree rotating bolt using 12tpi interrupted threads
IMG_9636.jpeg
IMG_9746.jpeg

And a pull string firing pin that has a rotating cocker, so you’re not pulling the firing pin back with the string but rather pulling a clip pin, releasing the already cocked firing pin. .067” protrusion gave 100% reliable ignition with 12ga shells(used as primers). Turning the cocker 7 revs cocks it .500”(14tpi) which gave 100% reliability.

IMG_9765.jpeg
IMG_9768.jpeg
IMG_9826.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: camocorvette
Circling back around…
The barrel is 36” long 1.5”ID 1/4” wall DOM(smooth bore). Its impressively straight/round/smooth for something not made to be used as a barrel model.
That meets the 24:1 barrel length to bore size I believe howitzers have, and its elevation adjustment rotates from negative downward angle to straight 90 degrees vertical.
IMG_9712.jpeg
IMG_9719.jpeg
IMG_9748.jpeg

Last edited:
There’s been work done on it since these pics, mostly with the scope mount and some elevation lock mechanisms so I can lock elevation travel down once it’s aimed, so the worm drives aren’t taking beating. In theory.

I originally designed it to use 20ga shells for containing the powder and providing ignition, but that quickly changed to 12ga shells with little modification. 20ga held 100grains, 12ga holds 150gr(H4350). So obviously 12ga is better.
IMG_0047.jpeg

The section that holds the shell(comprised of four thin pedals) breaks away on ignition leaving a flat based, rifled projectile to exit. In theory.
The chamber pressures pins the break-away pedals and shot shell to the walls of the chamber, ensuring it stays behind and can be easily pulled out for quick reloading.

In theory it seems this thing could fire 3-4 rounds a minute if you didn’t take any time to aim between shots.

The dart sabots take longer to load than the pretend artillery shells though. They don’t have the powder section self contained but rather have to be carefully loaded individually

Last edited: