• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

5.11 72 hour backpack.

desertHK

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2008
AZ
Anyone has it? How do you like it? Do your stuff get wet with that little vent hole at the bottom of the main compartment? Thinking about it, but don't like that little vent hole. Any feedback is appreciated. Trying to look for a sturdy 3 day pack. Did some search but there is a wide selection of packs available. I have a Maxpedition Falcon II, but find it too small.

Re: 5.11 72 hour backpack.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpickett07</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5-11 sucks, get blackhawk or TAG </div></div>
crazy.gif

i have a 24, and a friend has the 72. both are great packs. ive carried mine everyday for the more than a year now and its held up perfect. i use it as a school bag, laptop bag, shooting bag, taken it camping, etc and its been great

lots of internal organization. i would not hesitate recommending either of them. imo, as far as backpacks go at least..the 5.11 ones i like much better then blackhawk..cant say about tag.

go look over on edc forums, alot of people there use the 5.11 bags and have much praise for them.

I use a surplus 3 day Assault pack, 20 bucks and indestructable for the most part. Just another option to look at, I think you can get unissued ones for 50 bucks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mkv_89</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Vulture-II-Backpack-12p114.htm
I like my Vulture II from maxpedition. </div></div>

I currently have the Falcon II from Maxpedition and I love the way it's set up. It's just too small. In fact, the Vulture II was first on my list before considering the other options. Looking at the SOtech, Eagle, and Blackhawk, their prices are way above my budget. Thanks for your help.

Any other suggestions? Please keep them coming.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is your budget? </div></div>

$200 top.

If you take a close look at all packs no matter who makes them whether in US or overseas, all identical and come from the original design of Greg Lowe mid to late 70s design. I used an original Lowe Alpine clam shell for years early 80s. Clam shell packs by their design are not as weatherproof as those with a top lid cover. 5.11 uses a seam bead on each side of the zipper that makes using the zipper hard to pull until it loosens up, not good weatherproofing as nothing covers the zipper. A nylon flap cover over the zipper allows some weatherproof. Waterproof zippers bend as you are wearing the pack and can seep water in also. Clam shell packs design allows some water in, the zipper is on top and takes all precipitation directly. In really wet conditions, I always line my pack with trash compactor type plastic bag. I am not sure who or why clamshell packs are considered tactical packs but these days everyone has a knock off of Greg Lowes original design.

5.11 really well thought out this pack for stashing / organizing kit in a pack. More of a travel bag type to me than what I prefer with all the inside pockets, mesh, zips, etc but if this is what you like then good. I like the carry capacity of the 72, could get out for a week or so. The main compartment clam shell zips open deep so access to kit inside is a plus. Down side is zippers are the weakest link. I have seen zippers fail. The side pockets get covered if lashing kit there so...either use the pocket or do not or remove what you have lashed. I like to lash stuff to the side of my pack. The little stash pocket on top of the main compartment, some like some do not but as long as your team mate can access it, it works ok. I usually carry small pockets on my shoulder straps for fast accessing kit, no need to ask anyone or remove my pack. The glass pocket is nicety but does nothing to protect your glasses unless you use a hard case then no need for the lined pocket.

The beaver tail is loaded with mesh, pockets, inside for just about anything to include some 308 10 rounders. Zips open near flat. Beaver tails are good for carrying heavy / odd sized kit; spotting scope with tripod, e tool or snow shovel, firewood, game, water jugs, showshoes, etc. but do collect trash; rain, snow, twiggs, leaves, sand, needles, etc in the slot between main and beaver tail.

Waist belt folds up out the way. PALS / MOLLE on the waist belt is useful.

Carrys average, but if you want the pack to bend and move as you, I like just a plastic sheet.

Vent holes are to drain water out. Not much gets in even if placing pack in a pool of water / slush, like an upside down glass in water but a bellows effect while opening the pack will suck water in the holes if placed the bottom of the pack in water. You can always plug them up. I think they are on the large side.

I am currently using Camelback clam shell design, MotherLoad. I paid new $146 multicam from a vendor here on the hide two years ago. Very well thought out and made clam shell pack and is very close to Greg Lowes original design but with PALS/MOLLE for the tactical look. The main zip could zip open more, when the pack is loaded it is more difficult than it could be to access. It has a few slots and pockets inside for tools, data book, binos, etc but not too much. Never used this one in the rain but have snow and nothing got wet. Its been drug and dragged a little, since I am old and retired now I do very little exertion work.

The 3 Day Assault Plus from Tactical Tailor looks superb, what I wanted until the CamelBack came along $100 less and I understand TT will modify it some but the cost is over your budget.

For the average user, I would not hesitate on the 5.11 Push72 if you like it, it should last many years.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
$200 top.</div></div>

Do an eBay search for "eagle iii pack". Several options in your range if you don't mind used gear. 90% of the time the stuff like this that is "used" has never seen a day in the field. I know the III-A I got from eBay could have passed for new.

BTW, you can forget about "waterproof" with just about any field pack. I use USGI WP bags for non-critical gear and Seal line dry bags for critcal gear (skivvies and socks).

I have a Rush 72 that I've used for almost two years. It has held up really well and I really like the layout of the pack. It organizes well and the side pockets are great for storing gear. I haven't seen other packs in that price range that have the variety of pockets the 72 has. It is truly big enough for three day excursions.

Good pack for me. I recently bought a Rush 24.

I also have had good luck with Maxpedition.