5.56 vs .308 for Quantified Performance

cdholmes

Private
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2017
Looking to sign up for a QP match at Sawmill in October. I’m debating whether to use 5.56 or .308. I’m in the process of putting together a 14.5 or 16 with an LPVO, probably a VUDU 1-10. Or I have a SCAR20S that I’m cutting down to 16”, probably with an ATACR 4-16. What caliber and barrel lengths do most people run?

The GP division is mostly 5.56 rifles, interspersed with 6 ARC, 6MAX, and shorty .308 and 6.5 Creed. Very low number of anything else, and I'd say 75% 5.56 with everything else combining to make up the remaining 25%.
A 4-16x optic will put you into Practical Precision even with a 16" barrel, and that division is a pretty even distribution of calibers, favoring large frame a little.
Frankly, I feel like Practical is a more "new to the game" friendly division than GP, as you have enough glass to see targets, impacts, and misses. A lot of newer GP 5.56 shooters get frustrated because they can't see where the misses are. If you go .308 you also get a bit of a benefit with the additional energy on target, making spotting for you AND the person on glass easier. If you can manage 308 recoil, of course.

The GP division is mostly 5.56 rifles, interspersed with 6 ARC, 6MAX, and shorty .308 and 6.5 Creed. Very low number of anything else, and I'd say 75% 5.56 with everything else combining to make up the remaining 25%.
A 4-16x optic will put you into Practical Precision even with a 16" barrel, and that division is a pretty even distribution of calibers, favoring large frame a little.
Frankly, I feel like Practical is a more "new to the game" friendly division than GP, as you have enough glass to see targets, impacts, and misses. A lot of newer GP 5.56 shooters get frustrated because they can't see where the misses are. If you go .308 you also get a bit of a benefit with the additional energy on target, making spotting for you AND the person on glass easier. If you can manage 308 recoil, of course.
Thanks Jack! I’m looking forward to the match!