• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes 50 moa of elevation on a S&b pmii

codym

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2018
New Mexico
Hey guys I have 20 moa bases on my bh’s. I just ordered a s&b pm2. I have a 30 moa/9 mil spuhr I was thinking about using. My first s&b, I shouldn’t have a problem getting a 100 yard zero correct?

Doesn't that scope have 65 MOA of total elevation...divide that by 2 and get 32.5 MOA....minus 20 MOA base and leaves you with 12.5 MOA...so a 30 MOA Spuhr will be a tad too much and not allow you a 100yd zero.

S&B PMII 5-25x's only:

The total travel for MOA DT turrets is 67 MOA (19.5 MILs). MOA MTC is 65 MOA (18.9 MILs).

MIL DT turrents are 26.9, 26 MILs on the MTC's. Now you have a new MT II that goes to 29.5 MILs.

The way the zero-stop mechanism works versus how the erector is threaded (total travel) are two different things though too (and they have changed across some generations). I have 2 5-25's that can travel nearly 30 MILs, but of course only 26 MILs are dialable.

Some of EuroOptics text mis-represents this too. You either have to look at the S&B manuals or even just the pictures of the turrets themselves.

Doesn't matter though - what everyone has stated above is spot-on.

My 5-25 PMIIs have about 30.5-31 mils total erector travel, but with the DT turrets you can only dial 26 mils up from zero before the turret stops (provided the erector doesn't run out of up travel first.)

As Frank said, 50moa cant is pretty much right at the limit of the 5-25 PMII erector travel (31 mils = 107 MOA, and 1/2 of that is 53.5 MOA...) Depending on how all the components in your rifle, rail, and mount went together you might get a 100y zero or you may run out of travel.

And yes, as mentioned with 50 MOA cant in the scope the erector spring will be very compressed at your 100Y zero and I'd get in the habit of storing the scope at +1 turn on the elevation knob when you put the rifle away to relive some pressure on the spring.

Another thing that may or may not bug you is the 5-25's vignette a bit within about 7 mils of their upper or lower elevation travel extremes. With 35+ MOA of cant in the scope mount you'll probably have some vignetting of the image at your 100Y zero.

Last edited:
My 3-20 PM2 has 26mil MTC DT turrets. On a 20 MOA base I had about 23mils of usable travel. I put it in a 6mil/20.6moa Spuhr Mount on a 20moa base and now have the full 26mil of travel in the knobs.

As has been said above 50moa is likely too much cant. 40moa total is the most I would run.