• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes 500-700$ budget

Libilaw

Private
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2012
Utah
I made the rookie mistake of going cheap on my first build with a konus m-30, now I am paying for it in lack of adjustment and unreliable tracking. As I am still a poor college students I am only able to pay at max 700. I am looking at shooting from 100-1000 yards and possible hunting. I am heavily leaning towards the Vortex PST 4-16x50 mainly due to the Awesome CS. What other scopes would fit into my price range and are great for long range?

I'd go with the SWFA one of their fixed power scopes. Can't ask for more than what you get. 120adjustable MOA elevation and around 100 MOA windage. Very clear glass and tracks like a champ. 299.99 plus shipping! I have their 16x42. Just beautiful!

I have a Weaver Grand Slam Tactical from Midway (the only place you can get it), it is a 3-9x40mm Mil Dot/.1Mil Adjustments. I have shot out to 800yds on a 8 1/2 steel plate. It's clear and has reliable, repeatable adjustments, but it can't get me out to 1000yds without having to use the mil dots without a 20MOA base (More money). It is only $400 and is usually on sale for $300. I know a guy that has and I have shot his SWFA 3-15 mil/mil. I would advise the SWFA Super Sniper 3-15 mil/mil for $700. SWFA also has a 3-9 for $600. When my friend was looking at SWFA's scopes he contacted one of the main guys at SWFA and was advised that the 3-15 scope was made in the old plant and was a more rugged, reliable and a better buy for the money. If you weren't looking for a hunting/target scope I would, (and I am) looking into SWFA's fixed power scopes.

I'd go with the SWFA one of their fixed power scopes. Can't ask for more than what you get. 120adjustable MOA elevation and around 100 MOA windage. Very clear glass and tracks like a champ. 299.99 plus shipping! I have their 16x42. Just beautiful!

Hmmmm, I have heard good things about the SS, i guess going with this would allow me greater budget in rings. would I need a 20moa base to get to 1000 with the 16x?

I would look at the SS 12X.
The 16X lacks flexibility (smaller FOV at closer ranges)

I have also had very good luck with the Falcon Menace 4-14 EMD.
I have never had a problem with tracking or repeatability with it and it is a lot of scope for 380 bucks.
No matter what scope you decide on, make certain you are using a reasonable quality base (the weaver extended multi slot 20moa is a best buy here) and reasonable quality rings.

Your tracking issues MAY be your mounting hardware.

the 4-16 pst will serve you well, mine has 13 mils of elevation with a 100 yard zero and no cant. i know people bitch about the glass, but i've had all the PST's and i like it the best.

I'm shooting 2644 on my 178amax. That puts me around 39-40 MOA at 1000 yards. Still more than enough without a 20MOA base. I'm also at sea level and humid as hell here in Florida! But it gets me out to 1000. I like the higher power at the longer ranges versus 10-12 power. You sacrifice a little on FOV at closer range but it's not that bad!

Vortex is cheap, feels cheap and has more than its share of problems. The only ones worth buying are the RAZOR and the 2.5-10x32FFP.

With that being said, in that range, SWFA and Bushnell are your best bet. If you can get military discounts, even better. The 3-15 SS is a great optic for the $$ as is the 3-12 Bushies.

Please understand, that Reliability then Tracking, then Features , THEN glass quality is how you should evaluate optics. PST's have a track record of issues and unreliability.

Thanks for all the help, I have decided to go with the SS 16x42 with mil-mil. Also decided to go with the Burris signature rings.

I would rethink this. a Fixed power scope, especialy at that power is going to suck balls for most of your shooting. Being able to dial down for close range , FOV and to combat mirage is needed.

I would get a 10x or a 12x. But a 10x SWFA would be best. You can ring steel at 1000 with 10x. 16 you will hate.

I was thinking about if 16x was too much, but in reality I will mainly be punching steel and paper at 200-1000 yards. Most of the time my konus is on the 25x power and I rarely go to anything below that.

It depends if you want a bigger field of view. The lower the power the more area you can see through the scope. I like lower power because I shoot lots of jack rabbits and prairie dogs. I can see more potential targets. But if you will shoot at 200-1000 yards all the time 16x may work for you. It is your rifle set it up for what you are shooting. I prefer lower power. But that is just me.

I've got a brand NIB Weaver 3x15x50 Mil-dot in 1/4 MOA that I will make you a good deal on. I didn't realize I bought a MIL/MOA until I went to mount it last week... I have the 4x20 Weaver Tactical on my DMM comp gun... and you just can't beat the value. PM me if you are interested.

By the way I am 200+ posts... my #'s got knocked down after the server move.