.510 whisper vs .50 110 win

Jord

Private
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2019
First post,
I ordered a .50 cal barrel and am having trouble deciding if I should chamber it in .50 whisper or .50 110 win. It will be in a rem 700 long action that used to be a .338 win. I have a new bolt coming.
Barrel is 24" 1-5 twist
Cutting edge has a 1002gr. Bullet I want to send at 1100fps. Rifle is strictly for sub sonic target.
I'm sure the .50 110 will do the job but trying to cut down on c.o.a.l so I can run my 3.6" accuracy international mags.

For subsonic stuff in an AXMC, that would be pretty interesting if you could use a .338LM magazine / bolt head etc.
I guess the hard part would be finding that hugely expensive suppressor.
But if you could shoot surplus .50bmg projectiles, that might make up for it in cost.

Because it is called .510 Whisper, does it fall under NFA as a DD?

Anything over .50 requires a tax stamp. Does ATF care about that extra .010? It's only three sheets of paper, but hey, splitting hairs is what bureaucrats do.

.50/110 would be an amazing, but will it fit in a Long action and feed? Remington actions are notorious for NOT feeding fully-rimmed cartridges. That said, .303 Enfield actions are easily strong enough and will feed rimmed cartridges well. Just a thought... because lots of nice .45/70 rifles have been made using .303 SMLE actions and they are BUTTER smooth and very positive feeding!

Just some thoughts.... I'd be careful about .510 just until you know for sure that it won't get a knock on the door.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: Jord
Oh and welcome, Lord!

If I may make a suggestion... post questions like this in Gunsmithing or Bolt Actions or Vintage.

Because the Bear Pit can be a bit, well, irreverant. And sometimes tough on new and interesting questions! And people!

Great first post... and one to get us all thinking! But may be a more relevant response in one of the above threads.

Good luck with the project and welcome aboard! I will be following this build with interest as it sounds really cool!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: Jord
Oh and welcome, Lord!

If I may make a suggestion... post questions like this in Gunsmithing or Bolt Actions or Vintage.

Because the Bear Pit can be a bit, well, irreverant. And sometimes tough on new and interesting questions! And people!

Great first post... and one to get us all thinking! But may be a more relevant response in one of the above threads.

Good luck with the project and welcome aboard! I will be following this build with interest as it sounds really cool!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Thanks for the advise, would you happen to know how I would go about moving it or even if I can?

Jordan

Jord, have you fired a 1000gr projectile at 1050fps? Sure, it's only 2450 ftlb of ME but the recoil deserves an honorable mention. It's equivelent to a full power 300gr .338 Lapua Mag and a muzzle brake won't tame the recoil. Offhand it's not too bad but prone or from a bench, it's a heck of a shoulder massage. If you do elect to go though with your project, those 1000gr CEBs will cost you. Cast Bullet Engineering out of Australia makes a 950gr .512" bullet mould that might allow you to shoot more, for less.

Because it is called .510 Whisper, does it fall under NFA as a DD?

Anything over .50 requires a tax stamp. Does ATF care about that extra .010? It's only three sheets of paper, but hey, splitting hairs is what bureaucrats do.

When I was looking into it, destructive devices *for rifles* started above .510" groove diameter. This is why you can just go buy a Barrett .50 off the shelf as a regular guy. The Max groove diameter for pistols is .500". If you go above that, you're supposed to get a letter from the ATF getting permission to manufacture a firearm exceeding those dimensions for "sporting purposes." This is how you get a .577 T-Rex, .600 Overkill, .700 Nitro Express etc. It's not a $200 tax stamp that way. If you wanted a truck-mounted 20mm Vulcan, that's another matter.

^^ Hey, I remember that thread. I started casting 700gr projectiles for plinking subsonic in my 510WSM. A 10-round magazine has a pound of lead alone, :LOL::
700gr_WSM.jpg

The 510 Whisper is not only for subsonic use.
Here is a .510 Cutting Edge 350 gr bullet at 2447 fps, for 4700 ft/lbs of muzzle energy.
Should be good for most hunting applications, at moderate ranges.

Attachments

• 20240601_150758.jpg
    20240601_150758.jpg
    622.8 KB · Views: 49
Really wish someone would come up with a new standard 50 or 510 subsonic round. I really think there's probably enough market for small batch runs. I know that some people were cutting off WSM brass which seems simpler than the Lapua to Whisper conversion.

Really wish someone would come up with a new standard 50 or 510 subsonic round. I really think there's probably enough market for small batch runs. I know that some people were cutting off WSM brass which seems simpler than the Lapua to Whisper conversion.
Came in for a break, I just finished 200, 510 Whisper pcs of brass ready to be sized.
I have a total of 300 completed.
Cost is about 53 to 63 cents each. And a few hours of time.
It's actually a relatively easy process.
Mechanize it and it goes faster.
Probably make close to a thousand pcs and be done with it.

Today too many new cartridges have been introduced, look at all the Hornady cases in 22, 6mm, 6 5mm, 30, etc, then Weatherby, then Federal, then Nosler, then Winchester

Many of them cover the same area, to ridiculous redundancy...especially in 30, and now 6.5.

You can not get brass for any of them at my local gun store.
I laugh at them, you can buy the rifle, but there is no ammo for it...let alone extra brass casings.

I make alot of brass cases for obsolete and cartridges that no brass is available for....which it most of them, 338 RCM, 350 Rem Mag, 35 Rem, 6mm ARC, 30 Rem, 351WSL, 401 WSL, 30 RAR, 8.6 Blackout, and a host of others including making hybrid cases for 308, 6.5CM, 358 Win, and 8.6 Blackout.

I heard Starline was 6 yrs behind in brass orders, they could easily make 510 Whisper brass, but they are years behind already.

Too many varieties of cases to make with limited resources to make them...so ya gotta do it yourself if you want to shoot most anything today.

I have just started testing the .510 Whisper, as I spent so much time getting the 8.6 Blackout to where it is a useful cartridge now with the 6.5 twist.

The 510 whisper is very useful, just as it is, its a pretty good design.
It will shoot long heavy bullets over 1000 grs in subs or 350 gr copper bullets to 2450 fps and 4700 ft/ lbs of energy for large game, or shoot clear through an elephant if desired.
The 50 bmg APITs will pop at muzzle velocities as low as 780 fps range, 100% at 100 yds, and are fun to shoot.
I shot more of those than any other bullet. ...double the speed and one starts to notice the recoil.

So today, if ya wait for others to make your brass, you'll have a long wait.

Attachments

• 20240604_161656.jpg
    20240604_161656.jpg
    714.1 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: db2000
Got a pic of a loaded 1000gr round? Just curious what that looks like. The 8.6blk is crazy long at 350 gr
Nope, but they are in stock $2.72 ea.
Only a bit longer than the 750 Amax, with a huge BC, and 1002 grs. Will probably order a few just for fun.

Here are a couple of pics of the .510 Whisper 750 Amax 49.3 gr H335, compared the tiny 8.6 Blackout with the 350 gr Maker..big difference.
Maker also make a pointy 750 gr sub bullet for the 510 Whisper...may have to give that a try.
Just for your late evening enjoyment...
Get yourself a .510 Whisper, its very versatile.

Attachments

• 20240604_201007.jpg
    20240604_201007.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 20240604_200935.jpg
    20240604_200935.jpg
    425.8 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: db2000
Decide what you want to shoot it in first. lol Mine is a single shot, which means they could just as easily made a fast twist .50 Alaskan and had cheap, readily available Starline brass instead. Oh well.

I have a .50-90 I never shoot anymore, now and then I think about deep seating some bullets and trying .50-70 smokeless loads.

Decide what you want to shoot it in first. lol Mine is a single shot, which means they could just as easily made a fast twist .50 Alaskan and had cheap, readily available Starline brass instead. Oh well.

I have a .50-90 I never shoot anymore, now and then I think about deep seating some bullets and trying .50-70 smokeless loads.
You can use any case ya want, appropriate for bullet you intend to use.
Twist rate of 1- 10 for the 50 works on the really long 1002 gr high BC bullets in case you want to go there.
Some cases are tapered too much to let the bullet go all the way down, like the 510 Whisper pictured here. Just something to check, or limit the case you choose to shorter bullets, depending on the action one chooses.
There are options in the 50 caliber arena.

I prefer the 510 Whisper, because its been working well in early testing, with a variety of bullets, with subs and supers, plus I find the cases easy to make...for me.
But any way you can enjoy a 50 cal is a winner.
Plus it's easier to share loading data if everyone is not shooting a different case, with different capacities.

Attachments

• 20240604_215725.jpg
    20240604_215725.jpg
    483.7 KB · Views: 46
.510 caliber is only illegal in California, ask Barrett they stopped shipping to the commy state...last I heard.
They sell 50 BMG rifles over the counter here, 3 were sold last month, at Sportsman's Warehouse.
It only takes about 15 minutes after the background check and carry your 50BMG out of the store...same with any pistol, AR, or hunting rifle.
I ordered my .510 Whisper reamer from PT&G and it arrived quickly
The 10 twist McGowen .510 was ordered with a 8.6 blkout 6.5 twist at the same time...it took a few months, to get both barrel blanks.
I used my. 510 finish reamer to make a cartridge gauge, which was was used to make the brass case, to chamber the barrel with.
You can do the same, use those sources if you desire.

First post,
I ordered a .50 cal barrel and am having trouble deciding if I should chamber it in .50 whisper or .50 110 win. It will be in a rem 700 long action that used to be a .338 win. I have a new bolt coming.
Barrel is 24" 1-5 twist
Cutting edge has a 1002gr. Bullet I want to send at 1100fps. Rifle is strictly for sub sonic target.
I'm sure the .50 110 will do the job but trying to cut down on c.o.a.l so I can run my 3.6" accuracy international mags.
The 5 twist sounds a bit fast....standard twist rate is 15 for 50BMG...I have a 10 twist for the 510 whisper. It will stablize the long 1002 gr bullet at -20 below, at sea level, at 750 fps with room to spare...according to the bullet stability calculator.
Run the ballistics on the 1002 gr it's pretty impressive...1100 fps at the muzzle equals 2700 ft/lbs at the muzzle and 2000 ft/lbs at 1000 yds....depending on exterior conditions and altitude. ...no other bullet I know started out at 1100 fps gets to 1000 yds with 2000 ft/lbs of energy...interesting.... although I have no plans to shoot it that far.