• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

55 gr bullet & Varget in a 20" AR15

ShtrRdy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 17, 2011
    High Plains
    Have any of you had any luck at finding an accurate load for a 20" AR-15 using Varget behind a 55 gr bullet?

At the present time I have a sweet load using H4895 behind a Sierra 55 gr HPBT Gameking. I'd like to see if I can find a load using Varget since that's what my 22-250 likes.

With Varget you'll be around 27 grains for 3100 fps. H335 is 25 grains. I thought the Varget was okay but prefer the lighter powder charge, about 40 rounds per pound more.

Edit: PS: With 25 grains of H335 I've shot 52 SMK and 55 Varmint Nightmare Extreme interchangeably.

Last edited:
    Just my opinion, but Varget's a bit wasted on 55 gr bullets. It's a better powder for heavy bullets, and it's a bit hard to find right now - seems a shame to burn it behind 55's when there are many many powders out there good for 55's.

Second lazy engineer's opinion on varget as a match with 55gr bullets.

55gr Hornady Softpoints
    27.5gr Varget
    LC-11 Brass
    Tula SRP.

27.5gr varget will overflow many commercial cases with thicker walls. The powder comes almost up to the case mouth and you hear crunching when the bullet is seated.

This load shoots lights out for me at 200 yards...at 300yards the groups started to open up, but still shot well.

yes i have had great luck with varget and a 55 grain bullet 27 grains is the listed max charge. may not fit in some cases. i switched from h335 because varget was cleaner and more consistent