• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

5mm rimfire

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
i don't understand why the rifle manufacturers (hopefully savage with hornady making the ammo) start reintroducing the 5mm rimfire. interest in that caliber really picked up a few months back with centurion making the ammo. with the success of the "new" .17, and all the odd ball centerfires introduced almost on a weekly basis, why would it be such a gamble?

i would think with today's manufacturing processes, and doing some research on how the 5mm rimfire performed in the past, i would think that if reintroduced it would blow away the 22 mag and 17hmr and probably would become be the #1 choice for hunting, and possibly target as well.

it's characteristics are between the .17 and .22 mag, so it would pick up on the 17's shortcomings (dealing with wind and being a bit of a light bullet), and the .22 mags shortcomings (being not as flat shooting as the .17). so you'ld essentially have a flat shooter with the bullet weight that would be the best of both worlds.

now i never shot one of the 5mm remingtons, or personally know of someone that has one i could "test", however i think it would be an accurate all around use shouldered cartridge.

i know if savage came out with a bolt for it and hornady came out with the ammo tomorrow, i would be on the list instantly for it to be under the christmas tree.

Re: 5mm rimfire

5mmMagRF was really ahead of it's time. Remington didn't do it any favors by chambering their economy rifles and not their higher end rifles.

If some manufacturer will chamber it in a genuine heavy barrel, rigid action and ammo loaded with ballistic tip type ammo, it would indeed be the best of both worlds.

5mmMagRF was really ahead of it's time. Remington didn't do it any favors by chambering their economy rifles and not their higher end rifles.

If some manufacturer will chamber it in a genuine heavy barrel, rigid action with ammo loaded with ballistic tip type bullet, it would indeed be the best of both worlds.

My dealer, who has had a number of 591s over the years, minces no words about 5MMs superiority to all other rimfires for hunting. Flatter shooting than WMR, much harder hitting at extended range than HMR.

The problem is partly the recession and to a greater extent, the commercial failure of the HM2. None of the majors has HM2 in production (guns), and there are concerns about the continuing production of HM2 ammo in the absence of guns in production.

The 5MM can't just be converted from a LR or WMR. The head is significantly larger, it requires larger mags, so tooling up isn't as simple as for the .17s.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frog5215</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The 5MM can't just be converted from a LR or WMR. The head is significantly larger, it requires larger mags, so tooling up isn't as simple as for the .17s. </div></div>

The current 22WMP/17HMR actions may not be able to take the pressures of the 5mmRMR. The 22WMR/17HMR operate at ~20-22Kpsi while the 5mmRMR is at 33Kpsi. Approximately 50% greater pressure.

Took this muley with the 5mm rimfire magnum back in 1978. It was a one shot deal at about 100 yards.
CopyofIMG_3684.jpg

I have shot a lot of game with .22lr and it is infact quite a deadly round so it does not suprise me at all that the 5mm worked on the Muley and worked well.

I shot a large goat with a .22lr winchester Powerpoint years ago at 80 paces went through the ribs into the heart and he died immediately, not saying it was the correct gun for the job but placed well it worked.

Have seen a large steer shot between the eyes at 40 paces with a .22lr and it dropped stone dead.