5rd .223 AICS mags

mpwolf

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2014
Is there a 5 round AICS pattern .223 mag that will allow seating out at 2.500-ish? I know there are 10rd MDTs but I want minimal protrusion from the underside of the rifle. Is filing out the nose of an Accurate mag the best option? I really wish MDT would make a 3rd flush fit like they do for the larger rounds, but they tell me there's no demand, so they have no plans to release one.

Reactions: Matagorda308
Accurate mag makes a great 223 5 round mag. Just needs a little trimming on the front of the liner to seat them longer. These rounds are 2.450.

But a flush fit 3 rounder would be awesome.

IMG_2652.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2c1fr
I have accurate .223, modified to around 2.450 for running 2.375 COAL (Berger 80.5s)

If you can, get your hands on a jewlery file set (aka swiss files),
they are much better for this mod than regular files.

Overall, the 5 rnd accurate is great for daily driver use...(y)

Reactions: Jack's Dad
I have the accurate mag 10 round and the 5 round. I had to modify the mag latch to get the 10 round magazine to fit. For the 5 round to fit I'd have to remove more metal from the latch. I am hesitant to do that since the 10 round already flops around a bit. 20 practical, CDG action, Xylo chassis.

Have to skip across the pond, but these guys make a 6 rd AICS 223 at 2.6". Have heard rave reviews on the tikka mags they make.
I use the 2.4" Waters Tikka mags and they work great. I would expect their AICS mags to work just as well.

Last edited:
Waters are excellent mags. You might also check with Hawkins - pretty sure they just announced some flush fit Hunter .223 mags, but not sure if they are AICS or require a special bottom metal to run them.

Waters are excellent mags. You might also check with Hawkins - pretty sure they just announced some flush fit Hunter .223 mags, but not sure if they are AICS or require a special bottom metal to run them.
This is good to hear. i'm doing a full 360 in my appreciation of flush fit mags ...(y)

Hawkins mags are awesome. Unfortunately, the rifle in question has a CDI dbm, which accepts most AICS mags, but not Hawkins. Might be worth swapping though.