6.5 build with anticipation of flatline

Gilly

On Target
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2009
Coloarado
I have been looking at and currently rounding up parts for a 6.5 SAUM to fill the gap between my 243 and 300 win mag. Going for something dual purpose more target than hunting but light enough to carry. I see most success seems to be with the 140 berger and would be my current bullet choice. But I seem to remember seeing on the old site that Warner may be releasing a 6.5 flatline in the future. So my question is this. What twist barrel should I get to run 140 but have the ability to switch over if/when they come avialable?

My bet is it's going to be a 120 class solid from them for the 6.5 diameter still, it's probably going to be longish so 8 twist minimum I would think. Frank was looking for some load data on here for a mystery pill a few days ago, I'm assuming that's what it was for.

Ask and you shall recieve just thanks Dan. Now that I read Franks blog on them thats pretty awesome. Might not need the extra velocity of the suam to accomplish my goals. Or go faster than creedmore not have to run pressures of a 140 and get extended performance!

Buddy ran some numbers since he and I were talking about this last night

He was getting 3400 FPS out of 6.5 SAUM,

Mr. Warner can you confirm this?

Last edited:
Buddy ran some numbers since he and I were talking about this last night

He was getting supersonic to 3400 yards out of 6.5 SAUM,

Mr. Warner can you confirm this?

3400 yards? If launched from the top of Mt Everest? No way, unless you have some insane MVs and air density assumptions.

At 10,000ft DA and a 3400fps MV, you are looking at somewhere around 2600yds to subsonic.

Now the 198gr, launced at the same MV (maybe a long barreled 300 NM could get there) is out past 3000yds. But you get any wind, a fly fart, and the bullet is deflected mil (which at that range is 100"!)

If there is any mirage at all, I have enough trouble spotting misses with 300 grain .338 projectiles at ELR. I can't imagine trying to spot misses from a tiny 120 grain bullet at 2000+ yards.

3400 yards? If launched from the top of Mt Everest? No way, unless you have some insane MVs and air density assumptions.

At 10,000ft DA and a 3400fps MV, you are looking at somewhere around 2600yds to subsonic.

Now the 198gr, launced at the same MV (maybe a long barreled 300 NM could get there) is out past 3000yds. But you get any wind, a fly fart, and the bullet is deflected mil (which at that range is 100"!)

I meant 3400 FPS, sorry it's been a long day lol

I can indeed. I ran QL for a couple of RSAUM's today and 3500fps was no sweat with RL26 and no where near pressure. Yes, that's a 5, not a typo.

I will have a library of starting load sheets for all the cartridge/barrel/projectile combinations that I have run to date available on our website in the near future. Until then, if you email us with your cartridge, barrel length and the FlatLine in question, I can respond with a starting load data sheet that is premised on the best burn rates for the cartridge at hand.

We know these are expensive, so if I can give you a leg up on loading to help save you some trouble, then we're all for it.