• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

6.5 CM Brass - Alpha vs Starline

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Supporter
May 5, 2024
Texas
Hi all. I am just getting started in my PRS journey and starting to acquire what I need for reloading. I have an MPA Matrix Pro-II 6.5 CM. Do any of you use Starline brass? I am trying to get a sense of its quality vs Alpha. Starline is about half the price of Alpha from what I can tell. For those who have used it or currently use it I am also curious as to its durability and how many reloads I can expect to get out of it vs the Alpha.

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Reactions: simonp
Hi all. I am just getting started in my PRS journey and starting to acquire what I need for reloading. I have an MPA Matrix Pro-II 6.5 CM. Do any of you use Starline brass? I am trying to get a sense of its quality vs Alpha. Starline is about half the price of Alpha from what I can tell. For those who have used it or currently use it I am also curious as to its durability and how many reloads I can expect to get out of it vs the Alpha.

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Starline brass is solid enough and wouldn't be a bad place to start. For reference, I started my reloading journey with Hornady and S&B brass. I've since moved to alpha, Lapua and peterson brass where possible.

I would recommend the buy once cry once of the alpha brass from the get go.

Same as everything in this hobby - invest as much as possible initially and it will save you $, time and frustration in the long run

I use the srp version of Starline 6.5 creed brass. I can’t comment as to a direct comparison to Alpha on this cartridge but I am very happy with the brass and the 4 reloads I have on it so far.

However, YotaEer is giving the advice that we all eventually learn the hard way on ‘buy one cry once’ to save time, $, frustration. I too have migrated to Alpha and Lapua brass and would recommend the same to anyone who is investing in this hobby so that they can get the most out of it.
I understand Alpha is double the price - but for 200 pieces of brass the difference is only $120. In the grand scheme of rifles, optics, reloading equipment, time, travel, etc it’s not really that much. 🤷‍♂️

I’m running starline for my 308 tac build and it’s been solid though several reloads across the load spectrum. I can’t compare it directly to my alpha since I use that in a different caliber but I will say the alpha is less prep work off the bat for the virgin brass.

Thanks. I appreciate it.
If you can afford Alpha SRP brass, go Alpha. The only thing I've had to do with my Alpha brass, is the case mouths needed a quick chamfer and deburr, but other than that, it's been excellent.

I run lots of Alpha, Lapua, and Nosler brass. I run a fair bit of Hornady and Winchester, as well. Alpha is good to go. So is ADG.

I've been very happy with starline 6.5cm. Excellent SD and I have 10 loading on quite a bit of it. I will at some point switch to lapua like all my other calibers but I have to say, there really is no reason to do it. The starline has been great. I shoot LRP on 6.5cm and 308 though.

Depends on caliber, 6.5 CM mostly Lapua, SR and LR brass, ...and hybrid 6.8 x51 cases necked and formed the 6.5 CM.
6 Dasher Alpha brass 100 %
308 Lapua, LR & Palma brass, reformed hybrid 6.8x51 cases, and many thousands of LC military brass, even range pickup, everything goes in 308, just seperate for match loads...
450 Bushmaster, pistol cartridges, 45-70, 45-90, pistol cartridges...losts of Starline brass. It's pretty good brass.
But I would personally lean toward Alpha and Lapua for serious target work.
I shot some random 308 LC against Lapua brass with match bullets, same powder, in a target rifle and it only made .1" to .125" more difference in a short test at 100yds.
Fine for general use situations especially when one is concerned about brass loss.