6.5 cm velocities/loads for 1 mile??

The_Mechanic

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2018
Kentucky
What kind of velocity do you reloaders seek/need when shooting these distances? I am newish to reloading and playing with different loads/powders/pressures/velocities and would like to know a good baseline for 1 mile shots.

Can you shoot 1 mile with 6.5CM, yes. Best tool for the job, no.

RL26 in the 130-147grain bullets will give you the most velocities with high BC bullets. Plenty of data in the reloading section. This will give you repeatable hits on target.

If you’re sold on 6.5CM and have money to burn then I would get a faster twist barrel and Warren Flatline solid copper bullets.

Reactions: Earnhardt
Can you shoot 1 mile with 6.5CM, yes. Best tool for the job, no.

RL26 in the 130-147grain bullets will give you the most velocities with high BC bullets. Plenty of data in the reloading section. This will give you repeatable hits on target.

If you’re sold on 6.5CM and have money to burn then I would get a faster twist barrel and Warren Flatline solid copper bullets.

Its not that I am sold on it, I just want to try it out. I plan to get a 300 winmag RPR once I am satisfied with my basics of shooting with the 6.5CM

The 6.5CM or the 300WM will probably both be subsonic @ 1760. My 300WM only beats my 6.5CM by about 20-25 yards & both fall just short of the mile mark with a high DA. Play with JBM a little and you'll see. This info is with Hybrids pushed fairly hard, never messed with solids, probably could be supersonic with them but I buy my barrels with the twist rates for regular heavies.

I hold monthly URSA 2000+ yard matches and we have had hits at 2054 yards in NorCal and SoCal both with the 6.5CM.
The biggest hurdle is spotting misses.
The SoCal venue is out in the desert east of Bakersfield and spotting misses in the sand is actually quite easy.
In NorCal we shoot across a huge canyon into a brush covered hillside and the terrain makes it hard to see your misses.
We are holding a 3000 yard match in April in SoCAL east of Bakersfield if your interested.
www.unlimitedrange.org

Reactions: Earnhardt
I hold monthly URSA 2000+ yard matches and we have had hits at 2054 yards in NorCal and SoCal both with the 6.5CM.
The biggest hurdle is spotting misses.
The SoCal venue is out in the desert east of Bakersfield and spotting misses in the sand is actually quite easy.
In NorCal we shoot across a huge canyon into a brush covered hillside and the terrain makes it hard to see your misses.
We are holding a 3000 yard match in April in SoCAL east of Bakersfield if your interested.
www.unlimitedrange.org

Thank you for the information but I am in Kentucky and rather not travel back to Cali (originally from there) as I am a political refugee :) lol

Yeah I never know where people are located.
We had two lady shooters using the 6.5 CM and while not ideal they managed to both get hits further out than a mile.
You don't want a hot load by the way you want an accurate load.
Most don't understand why but if your gun is shooting big you don't know if you need a correction or if it was the ammo.
Lots of our shooters are using LabRadar units to see if a low or high impact was velocity related.

Its not that I am sold on it, I just want to try it out. I plan to get a 300 winmag RPR once I am satisfied with my basics of shooting with the 6.5CM

300win yuckk... What is this 1986? way better big 30ies out there now without a retarded belt for shooting distance.

I use 42 h4350 to push 140's 2800 fps and regulary get hits at a mile. Is it ideal no, can you do it yes.

300win yuckk... What is this 1986? way better big 30ies out there now without a retarded belt for shooting distance.

I use 42 h4350 to push 140's 2800 fps and regulary get hits at a mile. Is it ideal no, can you do it yes.

I have two 308 suppressors rated to 300 win mag and REALLY dont want to wait a year for a 338 Lapua suppressor approval. Working with what I have in terms of suppression and I dont shoot unsuppressed.

I would also pass on the 300wm....and go with 300norma may AI..... Or even 300wsm on long action..... Accurate rounds

Let's be honest - you don't need a big Boomer to shoot out to a mile. A 6.5 creedmoor will certainly get you there - it had for myself and many others.

You are going to learn a lot, and some days may be more frustrating than say if you had a .300NM, but honestly it's a great learning experience to shoot out to those distances with a short action cartridge.

For recreational and learning purposes, definitely take your 6.5 creedmoor to a mile and beyond. You don't need a bigger cartridge, but I'm sure you will find a point in where you will want to go further and further - and the creedmoor falls a bit on it's face past ~1,900 yards in my experience. Then get another cartridge with some bigger balls and keep pushing further.

The 6.5CM or the 300WM will probably both be subsonic @ 1760. My 300WM only beats my 6.5CM by about 20-25 yards & both fall just short of the mile mark with a high DA. Play with JBM a little and you'll see. This info is with Hybrids pushed fairly hard, never messed with solids, probably could be supersonic with them but I buy my barrels with the twist rates for regular heavies.
Where are the norcal matches help. Roughly

Why SRP brass? Is there a performance benefit? Thanks.

I like the quality of Lapua brass, not necessarily because it's SRP. I find my SD's/ES's are smaller with Lapua brass.

Incidentally they have SRP. Personally, I don't have a strong preference between SRP or LRP. I've never tested just that variable to see if it makes a difference. It can be a contentious topic amongst some reloaders.

I like the quality of Lapua brass, not necessarily because it's SRP. I find my SD's/ES's are smaller with Lapua brass.

Incidentally they have SRP. Personally, I don't have a strong preference between SRP or LRP. I've never tested just that variable to see if it makes a difference. It can be a contentious topic amongst some reloaders.

I see no difference in performance. I do believe SRP helps in brass longevity and you are able to get more reloads before the pocket give out.

I'm running 2855 with the 147 with Rl26 in a 24" savage. SD1.7 es 6over 10 shots(magazine) I've shot to 1430 and my vertical was 1 3/4 of an inch in calm morning conditions. I have a 6.5/06ai running 3120 with the 147 and 3112 with the 150smk. This is a 7.5tw my sd is 3 and es is 9 over 5 shots w/147 and 2sd 6es with coated 150's. Sorted 147's will duplicate the smk spreads but I only did that once and i don't do it as a rule. In my CM the 140 and 142 shoot well maybe even better at sub 300yds but the wind and distance shooting goes to the 147's Not even close in my rifle.

Reactions: stello1001
Not sure what he used but having an ATACR with 120MOA or adjustment sure helped :)
DB045D82-E99E-49FF-BF8D-9B0898955621.jpeg

he has a 5X25 ATACR but master race Mils

Let's be honest - you don't need a big Boomer to shoot out to a mile. A 6.5 creedmoor will certainly get you there - it had for myself and many others.

You are going to learn a lot, and some days may be more frustrating than say if you had a .300NM, but honestly it's a great learning experience to shoot out to those distances with a short action cartridge.

For recreational and learning purposes, definitely take your 6.5 creedmoor to a mile and beyond. You don't need a bigger cartridge, but I'm sure you will find a point in where you will want to go further and further - and the creedmoor falls a bit on it's face past ~1,900 yards in my experience. Then get another cartridge with some bigger balls and keep pushing further.

Seems like it would be a good training tool. Some people shoot 22LR at what is considered ELR for that and it’s fun and just another way to train without spending 2 dollars or more a round.

Reactions: kthomas