• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site Updates Coming Soon - We're Updating The Homepage!

We've got some exciting changes coming, check the thread below for more info!

VIEW THREAD

6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 Grendel

MGC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2009
NY, NY, USA
Im looking for advice on which cartridge would be best for long range shooting. I plan on having GAP make a long range rifle and would appreciate opinions supported with trajectory and other ballistic information comparisons.

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 Grendel

Two totally different cartridges. The 6.5 grendel is designed to fit in a standard AR-15 rifles, whereas the 6.5 creedmoor is designed for AR-10 style rifles. That should tell you the creedmoor is going to have a good deal more performance than the grendel is. I guess the real question is, what kind of rifle do you want to build? If it's an AR-15, then get the grendel. If it's an AR-10, then the creedmoor. If a bolt gun, well, the sky is the limit. Just my $.02

By far the Creedmoor is superior over the Grendel. I built a bolt gun in a Grendel. It is a neat round but it has limits to what it can do. I don't have a Creedmoor but I own a 260. The Creedmoor is more compared to a 260 vs. a Grendel. I think the Grendel would be better compare to the 223. The Grendel speeds will end up around 2600 fps with a 123 bullet. The Creedmoor will end up around 2800 to 2900 with a 140 bullet.

for lr the creedmoor is far better. the grendel looks to under powered for most lr shooting

260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmoor for sure. The Grendel is a great round within the constraints of the AR15 system, but the other 6.5's are the better choice for a GAP.

6.5 MPC ballistics are surprisingly close to 6.5 Grendel.

If a 6.5 is what you want, look at the 6.5x47 before you make your final decision. Boringly accurate to 1000 with 130 Berger.

This is basically the equivalent of asking "Wear a condom or pull out?" Both may be somewhat effective but neither would be my first choice...

Thank you all for the feedback. you make some great points

I am a fan of all mentioned but prefer to shoot the 6.5x47 over any.
The 6.5 creedmoor is great, and easy on your barrel. but its pretty similar to a 260.

I shot with a guy last weekend with a 6.5x 47. This is an impressive round. 600 yards won the match. Less powder, good brass, an accurate cartridge.

What I found after loading and shooting the Grendel (in a really nice set-up BTW) is that it will get you to 1k or a little farther just fine. It won't do it competitively with the 6.5x55, .260 Rem, and 6.5 Creedmoor. It WILL fit in an AR-15. They won't. They, will fit in an AR-10. Which is spendier, but just as accurate as the AR-15.

With a bolt gun, all of the longer rounds mentioned, will fit in a short action. Although I prefer a long action so I can seat bullets out a ways.

So, my opinion is since you want to go with a GAP build, go with the biggest round you can stick in the action of your choice.