6.5 Creedmoor vs 6.5 PRC

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2020
I am currently torn between 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 PRC, ballistically the 6.5 PRC looks like the winner, but it has drawbacks too, less options for factory ammo, more expensive per round, less common in stores (an issue in the next ammo panic, yes I reload but brass might be an issue), and the magazines are absurdly expensive compared to 6.5 Creedmoor, not to mention more recoil. I’m also concerned about throat erosion.

That said, there is no price difference in the rifle I am looking at, the 6.5 PRC has a 2 inch longer barrel and I can’t ignore the long range performance, especially if I am ever able to shoot past 1,000 yards.

Does the 6.5 Creedmoor have any more advantages over the 6.5 PRC that might sway me in that direction?

Is there a significant difference in throat erosion?

Which would you pick and why?

With proper reloading the creedmoor doesn't lack much to the prc. 41.5 of h4350 with 140gr bullets gets me about 2840 in a 24" barrel. If you are hunting elk/moose sized animals get a 30 cal mag.

I am currently torn between 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 PRC, ballistically the 6.5 PRC looks like the winner, but it has drawbacks too, less options for factory ammo, more expensive per round, less common in stores (an issue in the next ammo panic, yes I reload but brass might be an issue), and the magazines are absurdly expensive compared to 6.5 Creedmoor, not to mention more recoil. I’m also concerned about throat erosion.

That said, there is no price difference in the rifle I am looking at, the 6.5 PRC has a 2 inch longer barrel and I can’t ignore the long range performance, especially if I am ever able to shoot past 1,000 yards.

Does the 6.5 Creedmoor have any more advantages over the 6.5 PRC that might sway me in that direction?

Is there a significant difference in throat erosion?

Which would you pick and why?
you can shoot 1000 yd does not mean you should . in F class the 7mm is more popular. some are taking the 6.5 PRC necking it up to 7mm.

Reactions: Ridge_Walker
The only factor.
The PRC would be nice for beyond 1000 yards, maybe 1500, should I get the opportunity to try, other than that nothing really, I don’t hunt, I’d like to, but there is no way I could even afford the tags for big game, I could swing a deer hunt, but that’s about it, so we are really just talking static targets at very long range.

The PRC would be nice for beyond 1000 yards, maybe 1500, should I get the opportunity to try, other than that nothing really, I don’t hunt, I’d like to, but there is no way I could even afford the tags for big game, I could swing a deer hunt, but that’s about it, so we are really just talking static targets at very long range.

Easy answer then. The 6.5 Creedmoor is the right answer for you between the two.

6.5 creed unless you have access to a mile range within driving distance
That’s the thing, the NEAREST 1,000 yard range to me is a 3 hour and 15 minute drive, and the nearest 1 mile range is 4 hours and 45 minutes away, so it is only an hour and a half farther than the 1,000 yard range. Either way it would be an all day thing, so it’s relative really.

Due to the distance, either range would really be a just once or twice a year thing, so the difference really doesn’t matter to me, as far as I’m concerned they are equal distance, for my purposes. The Mile range is actually cheaper, by quite a lot, $20 a day vs. $325 a year.

Last edited:
If you aren't going to hunt, absolutely get the Creedmoor. A buddy of mine built a 6.5 prc as a match rifle, against my recommendation. He shot one match with it, cost like $150 in ammo, and by the end he was flinching so bad he couldn't hit anything. In a 18lb rifle! He immediately ordered a new barrel and bolt face and it's currently a 6mm GT. Now he has a worthless (my opinion) heavy contour 6.5 prc barrel collecting dust. Please learn from his mistakes!

If you aren't going to hunt, absolutely get the Creedmoor. A buddy of mine built a 6.5 prc as a match rifle, against my recommendation. He shot one match with it, cost like $150 in ammo, and by the end he was flinching so bad he couldn't hit anything. In a 18lb rifle! He immediately ordered a new barrel and bolt face and it's currently a 6mm GT. Now he has a worthless (my opinion) heavy contour 6.5 prc barrel collecting dust. Please learn from his mistakes!
I’m not particularly recoil sensitive, some of my very first guns were Mosin Nagant M-44s and Steyr M-95s. Went home with bruises, but it was fun :)

I’m not particularly recoil sensitive, some of my very first guns were Mosin Nagant M-44s and Steyr M-95s. Went home with bruises, but it was fun :)
For sure, neither is he really, we'll shoot 500rds of 12ga at a weekend tournament no problem. The fact of the matter is, it adds up, especially target shooting. Shooting steel you want to able to spot impacts and misses. That is very difficult the more recoil you add. From what you've said, for your needs, the prc really has no benefits and only downsides, in my opinion.

This definitely hasn't been asked before

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-18 at 13.50.41.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-18 at 13.50.41.png
    530.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Haha
Reactions: db2000