• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

6.5 Creedmor AR build Ammo Choice?

Sjohns1980

Private
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2024
Morehead KY
Just building a 6.4 Creedmor, with a 24 inch Carbon Fiber Barrel What’s a good Ammuniton Choice?
I was initially thinking 129gr Double Tap Copper.
What’s your favorite Ammunition for Long range for the 6.5?

Last edited:
1st it’s Creedmoor
2nd I wouldn’t want a 24” barrel AR
3rd you need to figure out what the barrel likes then go with that

1st it’s Creedmoor
2nd I wouldn’t want a 24” barrel AR
3rd you need to figure out what the barrel likes then go with that
Ok new to the 6.5 what would be a good starting point, yes I realize this is bit a tough pill for many to swallow, but I figured it would be wild experiment, I can build this into something else, if it fails terribly, but that’s also why I have the adjustable gas block, and buffer, in an attempt to see what I can get out of this. Should I start with a match grade, a full metal jacket?

In my case, I went with a 22" JP barrel. I shoot 140gr ELDMs, with 41.6gr of H4350.

At the end of the day though, your rifle may not like what my rifle likes..
How does the JP barrels perform? It sounds like you used one for a build. I just never hear of anyone purchasing the for builds although I know people do.

How does the JP barrels perform? It sounds like you used one for a build. I just never hear of anyone purchasing the for builds although I know people do.

The barrel shoots well. I shoot about .7" with it at 100 yards. I'm sure more experienced shooters would shoot better with it.

My rifle is indeed a build. I used the JP barrel, bolt, BCG, and silent spring system. I went with a ZEV receiver set, Superlative Arms gas block, Geissele trigger, etc.

Reactions: wade2big
The barrel shoots well. I shoot about .7" with it at 100 yards. I'm sure more experienced shooters would shoot better with it.

My rifle is indeed a build. I used the JP barrel, bolt, BCG, and silent spring system. I went with a ZEV receiver set, Superlative Arms gas block, Geissele trigger, etc.
Seems like you did it right.

Reactions: kentuckyMarksman
In no particular order. Hornady match, Federal Gold Medal Match, Federal Gild Medal Berger.

Also Hornady Black and American Gunner for lower cost, but still “pretty dang good” options.