• We're Extending The Deal: Get 30% Off Your Sub With Code HIDE30

We're only offering the deal for another 24 hours!

Subscribe

Range Report 6.5 creedmore vs 25-06 vs 243 win.

EddieP

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 8, 2008
England
I have a friend that is looking for a new calibre. I mentioned 6.5 creedmore and he seemed interested. But on reflection he owns rifles in 243, 25-06 300 wsm, and 300 rum. will a 6.5 do anything for him. He only hunts, never target shoots unless its to keep him on form for hunting.

Re: 6.5 creedmore vs 25-06 vs 243 win.

The 6.5CM will allow him to have another caliber, but there isn't really much of a gap left that could be filled by it, maybe a 7mm though depending on if he hunts at longer ranges. Still wouldn't hurt to have the 6.5CM though and take it out with him. YMMV

All of those calibers are at least marginally overbore. This means that copper fouling and throat erosion will be above average. From at least these standpoints your friend may well find things to like about the 6.5CM, and if more zip is needed on the menu, the 6.5x55 is pretty sure to please.

Why is he looking for a new caliber and what is he hunting? Everything he owns will take all game animals from prairie dogs up to the biggest moose. Everything except the bigger bears. Barrel life shouldn't be an issue as most hunters never shoot a great deal outside of sighting in their rifles and shots at actual game.

Since he's not going to be target shooting a new caliber would be a waste of money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why is he looking for a new caliber and what is he hunting? Everything he owns will take all game animals from prairie dogs up to the biggest moose. Everything except the bigger bears. Barrel life shouldn't be an issue as most hunters never shoot a great deal outside of sighting in their rifles and shots at actual game.

Since he's not going to be target shooting a new caliber would be a waste of money. </div></div>

My thoughts exactly. Sounds like he's a guy who just likes to buy more guns. Nothing wrong with that and don't get me wrong the Creedmoor is an excellent cartridge and I shoot it in competition but from what you've said and seeing his list of rifles I don't see a need for anything. Maybe a want but not a need.